choosing between graphics cards for gaming

hi, i am looking to buy a graphics cards that is not too pricey. the cards i have found to meet my budget are the following.

XFX Radeon HD 4890 

NVIDIA GT740 SOC 

MSI nVidia GeForce GTX550 Ti 1GB 

please could you advise which of these i should buy.

Thanks in advance,

What games do you play and whats your budget? Maybe we can recommend some alternatives as well as those cards are quite old. 

BTW welcome to the forums! :)  Don't forget to follow your own threads. 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

hi thanks for the welcome and of replying quickly. i am new to gaming pcs. all my life i have played games on my console until recently a friend introduced me to the power of a gaming pc. I mostly play games on my ps4 but i wish to begin playing games on my pc. the games i will be playing are games such as far cry 3 and gta 4. My budget is £40.00

hi thanks for the welcome and of replying quickly. i am new to gaming pcs. all my life i have played games on my console until recently a friend introduced me to the power of a gaming pc. I mostly play games on my ps4 but i wish to begin playing games on my pc. the games i will be playing are games such as far cry 3 and gta 4. My budget is £40.00

Oof.. Might wanna save up a bit more there.

At that price range, saving a bit more money will increase your power exponentially.

Not going to happen. Those cards will barely play the lower end games and are basically around a 360/PS3 on their best days. 

Don't know how much is stuff over in your area but the least (and i'm talking about VERY least) you should go for is the r7 260x/gtx750. 

i have seen the card mentioned below for £50.00 and i am willing to spend the extra money if it will impact performance hugely. please could you advise if this card is worth spending the extra money on.

ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 1GB 

i have seen the card mentioned below for £50.00 and i am willing to spend the extra money if it will impact performance hugely. please could you advise if this card is worth spending the extra money on. ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 1GB 

Ideally you want to stay around the r9 270x/gtx 960 if you really want to experience pc gaming at its best. But before recommending anything else, what are the specs of your current pc? If the specs are too low even if you get a good gpu, it will be held back everything else.

i have seen the card mentioned below for £50.00 and i am willing to spend the extra money if it will impact performance hugely. please could you advise if this card is worth spending the extra money on. ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 1GB 

The GTX 750 is not a bad card but I believe you can get a R7 260x for around the same price. The 260x is faster than the 750 and is on par with the 750ti. If possible, could you list the specs of your pc? 

Edit: Dammit ninja'd by alfaomega  <_<

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

the specs of my pc are

i5 2500 3.30ghz 

16 gb ram ddr3 

120gb ssd

intel dh67bl motherboard

the r7 260x is 50.00 more. will the gtx 750 perform for games such as far cry 3

The 750 is pretty good. It should play those games at 60 fps on med to high 1080p

The 750 is pretty good. It should play those games at 60 fps on med to high 1080p

not going to happen. Even at those settings, it will stay around 30-60 with some dips into the 20's. I have the ti and even that one I wouldn't recommend for true 1080 gaming. 

As for your pc, those specs would be good even for the 970/290x so you can go as high as you are willing. Just remember that for gaming the most important part of the computer is the gpu itself, so keep that in mind before buying the low end cards.

EDIT: almost forgot about the initial question, if you do decide to go with those. Here's a chart that compares the cards relative to each other so use it as a guide to pick from that many that are out there: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

And here is the benchmarks of what to expect on in-game performance http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/benchmarks,186.html  

that one doesn't have almost any of the older-lower-end cards but you can see what you'll need to meet whatever expectations you require.

The PS4's hardware (since that's your point of reference) is generally agreed to be equal to an R7 265, which is faster than the GTX 750, GTX 750 Ti, or R7 260X. I don't mean to disappoint, but I don't think you're going to end up with a PC that compares favorably at this price range.

You'll still have the advantage of adjusting video settings and such, of course, but you should know not to expect much better than what you see on your console already unless you're playing older games.

not going to happen. Even at those settings, it will stay around 30-60 with some dips into the 20's. I have the ti and even that one I wouldn't recommend for true 1080 gaming.

As for your pc, those specs would be good even for the 970/290x so you can go as high as you are willing. Just remember that for gaming the most important part of the computer is the gpu itself, so keep that in mind before buying the low end cards.

EDIT: almost forgot about the initial question, if you do decide to go with those. Here's a chart that compares the cards relative to each other so use it as a guide to pick from that many that are out there: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

And here is the benchmarks of what to expect on in-game performance http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/benchmarks,186.html

that one doesn't have almost any of the older-lower-end cards but you can see what you'll need to meet whatever expectations you require.

Wow really? From reviews that I've seen it seems to perform quite well. Given that I don't own one like you do though, I wouldn't actually know. Thanks for your input

Wow really? From reviews that I've seen it seems to perform quite well. Given that I don't own one like you do though, I wouldn't actually know. Thanks for your input

It does perform well and it's almost perfect in the sense of what it is. Nvidia did an amazing job at making a product that fits its intended purpose almost perfectly which seems to entry level gaming for oem towers: $150 sweet spot, doesn't require six pin connector, (at 1080) 30fps in just about any game you throw at it, 60+fps for all the "casual" games, low temperatures, low profile size available, and some headroom for overclocking. However, I could not honestly recommend it for anything more than if you are limited to anything less than a $120 budget, require low profile, or if your psu is less than 350watts. If none of those three are true, there are better cards for 1080 gaming.

Frankly, a PS4 console is probably more powerful than any of those, by a decent margin.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Frankly, a PS4 console is probably more powerful than any of those, by a decent margin.

true here but

3HnJg43.gif

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

which graphics card would you reccomend that is better than a ps4 but not too expensive.