Will 370X and 380X be rebrands?

StopTheWar

I've heard rumours that the 370, 380 will just be rebrands of the older gpu (280X=290X 270X=285). Can anyone confirm if this will be true?

There have been many wars that have rocked the face of Earth, Many have heard of WWI, WWII, The Cold War, The Vietnam War and the Iraq War. But there has been a war that only a handful of humans know.....AMD vs Intel. It all started in 1985 when Intel released the first 32bit processor, the Intel 386. This war has been raging on for decades and Intel and AMD are still at each others throats. Fanboys have been ruthlessly killed, motherboards have been short circuited and most gruesome of all... CPU pins have been bent. Stop this war before it is too late. #STOPTHISWAR

I've heard rumours that the 370, 380 will just be rebrands of the older gpu (280X=290X 270X=285). Can anyone confirm if this will be true?

No one can confirm this since the cards are not released yet, but I have heard the same that all below the 390 will be rebrands

There is speculation but until the full specs are released (idk if they have yet) there is no way of knowing 100%

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

No one can confirm this since the cards are not released yet, but I have heard the same that all below the 390 will be rebrands

Damn I was really hoping that AMD would stop rebranding. Kinda getting sick of the 7*** series

There have been many wars that have rocked the face of Earth, Many have heard of WWI, WWII, The Cold War, The Vietnam War and the Iraq War. But there has been a war that only a handful of humans know.....AMD vs Intel. It all started in 1985 when Intel released the first 32bit processor, the Intel 386. This war has been raging on for decades and Intel and AMD are still at each others throats. Fanboys have been ruthlessly killed, motherboards have been short circuited and most gruesome of all... CPU pins have been bent. Stop this war before it is too late. #STOPTHISWAR

Damn I was really hoping that AMD would stop rebranding. Kinda getting sick of the 7*** series

They are less likely going to be rebrands then they are, AMD is trying to push new features on the Tonga and Hawaii cards such as FreeSync

"Rawr XD"

They are less likely going to be rebrands then they are, AMD is trying to push new features on the Tonga and Hawaii cards such as FreeSyncYea

Yeah I have a feeling they are just going to slap HBM onto already existing hardware. 

I've seen both rumours of mostly an entire new lineup, as well as rebranding for the lower end models. No one really knows for sure until the GPUs get released, so don't start hating/hyping ahead of time.

Even if they are rebrands (or not) I feel the interesting performance increases will come with the HBM enabled GPUs (possibly only the high end will bring this feature, as it doesn't seem cheap to implement).

While we can't be sure, I hope not.  I'm hoping they make advancements and push the limits to keep competing with Nvidia.  I will be disappointed if they don't.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

I thought some of them would be rebrands but the rest new. Least that's what I read in one of the AMD threads int he news section.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Since they are spending so much time to release the new cards...they better be at least 20% faster and cooler than the 280x. Even if it's a rebrand....AT least it should be more efficient.

I'm done with that series though. Nothing but HMB from here on in.

Going to keep my GTX 770 I got used until Pascal or AMD's 390X.

Since they are spending so much time to release the new cards...they better be at least 20% faster and cooler than the 280x. Even if it's a rebrand....AT least it should be more efficient.

I'm done with that series though. Nothing but HMB from here on in.

Going to keep my GTX 770 I got used until Pascal or AMD's 390X.

...wasn't the 770 itself just a rebranded 680?

Either way, I hate rebrands. Release something new, or let the price depreciate over time. Don't make it look like you have a whole line-up of exciting new products when actually there's like two or three.

Either way, I hate rebrands. Release something new, or let the price depreciate over time. Don't make it look like you have a whole line-up of exciting new products when actually there's like two or three.

Those of us who know if they are re-branded cards or not are only a very small fraction of sales. Typical consumers will go out and buy them as a new product not knowing or caring as long as it delivers what they expect of it. It's a cheap and easy thing for a manufacture to do and every manufacture is just as guilty as the others for doing it.

if the 380x is a rebranded 290x it's still going to be a stonker of a card for the money. it will have a memory and clock speed boost and be cheaper!

couldn't really ask for the 380x to be much better than the 290x a card that sits 2 levels higher of the previous generation.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Those of us who know if they are re-branded cards or not are only a very small fraction of sales. Typical consumers will go out and buy them as a new product not knowing or caring as long as it delivers what they expect of it. It's a cheap and easy thing for a manufacture to do and every manufacture is just as guilty as the others for doing it.

So what you're saying is that most consumers aren't aware that they're being lied and falsely advertised to, so it doesn't matter. Of course it's cheap and easy to not innovate and just slap a new number on something that's years old, it doesn't make it something you should be celebrating.

I wonder if someone who "upgraded" their 7970 to a 280 would have quite as rosy an outlook of this.

So what you're saying is that most consumers aren't aware that they're being lied and falsely advertised to, so it doesn't matter. Of course it's cheap and easy to not innovate and just slap a new number on something that's years old, it doesn't make it something you should be celebrating.

I wonder if someone who "upgraded" their 7970 to a 280 would have quite as rosy an outlook of this.

You make it seem like AMD is the only one responsible for doing this. Nvidia has actually done it more times than AMD yet I don't see anyone complaining about it. There are people who's swapped out their HD 7970 for an R9 280X knowingly that it's the same architecture.

You make it seem like AMD is the only one responsible for doing this. Nvidia has actually done it more times than AMD yet I don't see anyone complaining about it. There are people who's swapped out their HD 7970 for an R9 280X knowingly that it's the same architecture.

If you're going to deliberately ignore me explicitly calling out Nvidia for rebranding the 680 as the 770 in my first post in this thread just to try and make it look like my complaint is senseless fanboyism, then that says more about you than it does me tbh.

Now that you bring up AMD, though, have they released an FX CPU in the last year or so that wasn't an overclocked re-release of something else? How many new GPUs did the 200 series actually have? 290X, 290, 285 (though about a year late)... then... I'm at a loss to think of another one.

People did swap out their 7970 for a 280X. They spent about £200 on a 75 MHz stock overclock. Money well spent.

Rebranded 280/290 cards to be the low end 360/370 and the 380/390 will most likely be new (I would hope so).

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Well that is why I did not upgrade that year. So I went from the 6870.... ok. To the 7850, which as far as I know was completely different architecture.

Correct me if I am wrong but my gaming experience for awhile there was pretty dang good with the 7850. I felt it was much better than what Nvidia had at the same time for the price. I think when I bought the 7850 for $179 with 3 games....2 of which I sold...making the card like $75 I got a great deal at the time. Now of course I wanted the GTX 670 when it was released but $400 vs $179. You could argue that the GTX is 2x better but I was not paying 50% less. I was paying $75 vs $400.

Had the GTX 670 been $299....then...maybe I would have made the jump.

I do realize that the GTX 770 is a rebranded 680 but it's slightly better and knowing that the 770 was at one time the best card, I don't count dual GPUS like the 690, makes me fine with a rebrand in that case. Both AMD / Nvidia did the exact same thing.

It sort of made me upset but what can you really do about it.

Plus... I bought the GTX 770 used for $237 shipped. Still consider it a good deal and it OCs nicely.

If I had to compare both companies rebrands I'd give the edge to Nvidia during that generation. The 770 was a 680 but better. So it wasn't a rebrand like what AMD did.

There were more stream processors and everything. 

So AMD just took the 7870 and gave it a new name with higher OCs? As well as the 7970... new name.

Looking at specs.... the AMD "rebrands" were way closer to being identical cards vs the rebranded 680 - 770 for example.

At least Nvidia didn't rebrand the 780ti into something new this year around where as I think AMD is going to rebrand the 290 into the 380.

The 280x is done. I think that's gone.

I don't know is the 670 became the 760 though...didn't google it.

If you're going to deliberately ignore me explicitly calling out Nvidia for rebranding the 680 as the 770 in my first fucking post in this thread just to try and make it look like my complaint is senseless fanboyism, then that says more about you than it does me tbh,

Now that you bring up AMD, though, have they released an FX CPU in the last year that wasn't an overclocked re-release of something else? How many new GPUs did the 200 series actually have? 290X, 290, 285 (though about a year late)... then... I'm at a loss to think of another one.

People did swap out their 7970 for a 280X. They spent about £200 on a 75 MHz stock overclock. Money well spent.

I could care less about your other irrelevant posts. You throw your words as if you're bashing the company as if they are the only ones who did or who have done it. We don't need that kind of unprofessionalism here thus why I'm calling you out on it.

Further validating my above statement.

Surely they did, I will agree that it's pointless but it's only evidence that even rebranded cards still sell.

I could care less about your other irrelevant posts. You throw your words as if you're bashing the company as if they are the only ones who did or who have done it. We don't need that kind of unprofessionalism here thus why I'm calling you out on it.

Further validating my above statement.

Surely they did, I will agree that it's pointless but it's only evidence that even rebranded cards still sell.

One Nvidia example, one AMD example. OH NOES TEH BIAS.

This is a shitty practise. And if your reaction to that statement is "omg u just h8 amd" then that's your prejudice speaking, nothing I've said. Never mind that my first post in this thread was pointing out that someone talking about AMD rebrands mentioned owning a GTX 770.

But as you say, you couldn't care less if my words contradict what you are "calling out". That's "irrelevant".

One Nvidia example, one AMD example. OH NOES TEH BIAS.

This is a shitty practise. And if your reaction to that statement is "omg u just h8 amd" then that's your prejudice speaking, nothing I've said.

If you're going to deliberately ignore me explicitly calling out Nvidia for rebranding the 680 as the 770 in my first post in this thread just to try and make it look like my complaint is senseless fanboyism, then that says more about you than it does me tbh.

Now that you bring up AMD, though, have they released an FX CPU in the last year or so that wasn't an overclocked re-release of something else? How many new GPUs did the 200 series actually have? 290X, 290, 285 (though about a year late)... then... I'm at a loss to think of another one.

I think your posts speak for themselves even digging into FX based CPUs. I'm not in disagreement that re-branded hardware isn't the greatest. Although slandering company A for it really doesn't have much merit as companies B, C and D all have done it and still are doing it. You made it seem like you're singling out a single company as the primary source for rebranding when everyone is just as guilty as the rest. Personally we don't even know the details because even a tier shift with rebranding could be the biggest news ever. Who's going to complain about buying an R9 270 for $120. If the R9 290X is to take the flagship spot as the R9 380X then I imagine such a shift could be a possibility except with spots replaced with Tonga. Which is another uncertainty as Tonga full fat is rumored to have 2048 shaders.

HA. So I looked it up. The GTX 670 became the GTX 760 ti.  The GTX 760 was a watered down 670.

Nvidia varied the market because they added the ti to the cards where as AMD added the X to the cards ...both guys did pretty much the exact same thing last gen.

I think your posts speak for themselves even digging into FX based CPUs. I'm not in disagreement that re-branded hardware isn't the greatest. Although slandering company A for it really doesn't have much merit as companies B, C and D all have done it and still are doing it. You made it seem like you're singling out a single company as the primary source for rebranding when everyone is just as guilty as the rest. Personally we don't even know the details because even a tier shift with rebranding could be the biggest news ever. Who's going to complain about buying an R9 270 for $120. If the R9 290X is to take the flagship spot as the R9 380X then I imagine such a shift could be a possibility except with spots replaced with Tonga. Which is another uncertainty as Tonga full fat is rumored to have 2048 shaders.

Slandering? Do you have evidence that AMD and Nvidia did not rebrand GPUs? Or do you just not know what "slandering" means? Quite possibly, because the word would be "libel" in this context anyway.

Again, I don't know how you think that criticising both AMD and Nvidia is "singling out a single company". I'm starting to get the impression that you're not really bothering to read posts before launching into an argument for its own sake.

The FX range hasn't had a new product for years. Apparently this is an unfair thing to point out in a topic about rebrandings.

Slandering? Do you have evidence that AMD and Nvidia did not rebrand GPUs? Or do you just not know what "slandering" means? Quite possibly, because the word would be "libel" in this context anyway.

Again, I don't know how you think that criticising both AMD and Nvidia is "singling out a single company". I'm starting to get the impression that you're not really bothering to read posts before launching into an argument for its own sake.

The FX range hasn't had a new product for years. Apparently this is an unfair thing to point out in a topic about rebrandings.

That would be my question to you as you make it seem as if AMD is the only ones doing it. Of course I know the definition of the word otherwise I wouldn't of used it. Solid argument you got there. You're criticizing a single company as if they are the single pursuers of re-branded hardware, so I called you out on it. If you actually read my posts we wouldn't be still carrying out this conversation. It's just pudding in the pot that your posts are more oriented towards slandering AMD. If you blindly follow a company so be it although defining a bad company by referencing them relaunching an existing product is by no means valid.