What am I doing wrong?

Spagetti

Hello, all.

It's about Battlefield 4 (PC). So, I started playing multiplayer a few days ago. I'm a newbie, obviously. However, I did play an FPS game before (BF2 multi) and I was good at it.

My problem is I die extremely fast - all the time. My K/D ratio gets ridiculously awful by the time the run ends. (Sometimes 1/25 or worse)

I get shot from almost every angle and what cracks me up the most is that I barely got time to react. As soon as I realise I'm being shot at I'm already on the floor. I get shot in the back very often, too. My aiming sucks as well. Big time. I just can't aim for sh*t... so...ehm.... Is it really my bad reaction time btw? :( 

Also, one of my biggest problems is that I can't see the opponents...they just appear out of nowhere and also it feels like they always know where I am.

I recorded a little bit of my gameplay to show you guys how shitty of an FPS player I've become. So could you please watch my video (4 mins) and give me your opinions?

LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h662oB6Zioc

Thank you all!

BF4 is not CoD, you need to camp and shoot, not run and gun. Run and gun is only working for me in BF Hardline, and only in hardcore mode, and only when I have either the MPX or K10.

Check your ping number as well. You could be lagging. Also, don't play TDM, it's hackers galore. Try Rush or Conquest instead.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Welcome to LinusCompassionTips, where we give compassion. Here we go...

Your still new to the game

So it doesn't matter

At least you don't play CoD.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

First of all you're playing a map that people are running as if their heads are cut completely off.

Try to play a proper map. Maybe drop yourself from 64 player servers to 32 player, or even less. 64 players is quite a lot.

Thing is with BF4, everyone are ridiculously high leveled as it has been out for some time. Trust me, I bloody reeked at it because they were all so OP :P 

But I think TrikStari is right, taking it slow is the way to go.

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

So it doesn't matter

You stole my Linus....Tips line. Now I'm sad.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

So it doesn't matter

^this

First of all you're playing a map that people are running as if their heads are cut completely off.

Try to play a proper map. Maybe drop yourself from 64 player servers to 32 player, or even less. 64 players is quite a lot.

I have noticed that as well, 64 people seems to be a bit too much for small maps, even with the large maps, its still a bit too much. Maybe when the ISP's around the world stop being douche canoes, we can get better matches. 64 people on a huge map.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I tried most basic maps and the problem still persits. How to practise aiming? Singleplayer is too easy even on hard.

I tried most basic maps and the problem still persits. How to practise aiming? Singleplayer is too easy even on hard.

I guess specifically search for servers that are "noob friendly." 

I remember in BF3 there were servers that would kick people with too high KDR or something. Maybe there are some in BF4 as well.

You always look the same way your team is facing, you should look the opposite way so your team mates will kill anyone behind you or if they die u will have time to turn around and shoot the enemy.

I guess specifically search for servers that are "noob friendly." 

I remember in BF3 there were servers that would kick people with too high KDR or something. Maybe there are some in BF4 as well.

Well I don't really have that much time to play games anymore so it isn't important...I was just wondering why I suck so much...my reaction time...my aiming....or both xD

You always look the same way your team is facing, you should look the opposite way so your team mates will kill anyone behind you or if they die u will have time to turn around and shoot the enemy.

Now that's a kind of post I was expecting. Thanks for your answer.

battlefield 4 is a thinking mans game. not a mindless rambo simulator.

it requires teamwork and lots of patience.

my K/D is 0.5, but i also started it last week and im slowly getting better as i get better weapons

just hang in there

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

i dont know if its the recorder but the video seems rather choppy may be lower the graphic settings so that you stay above 60fps 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

You stole my Linus....Tips line. Now I'm sad.

giphy.gifI'm sorry

But too continue

Here's some things

• If you want to run and gun, than Titanfall is a heaven. I call amazing game. BF4 is a little more cover shooting based.
  • Make sure you don't play via Wi-Fi. Don't be me. It's not good.
  • Refresh rates of monitors, and strength of your pc can matter.
  • If your peripherals are an USB 1.1 keyboard and a mouse with only a left mouse button, that may hurt you.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

are you like using 4:3 monitor?

attachicon.gifUntitled.pn

5:4 monitor at 1024p max. Got a few pixels errors on it though...

Ya043qC.jpg?1

i dont know if its the recorder but the video seems rather choppy may be lower the graphic settings so that you stay above 60fps 

It's on ultra and yeah the video is choppy as hell I know but it's because of the recorder. While not recording it runs at 35-38 fps maximum.

on bf4 by default, the mouse moves at a different, slower speed when scoped. Now this is great for controller, but the PC port has this on by default and it fucked me up too. every time I mention this in a lobby the whole lobby freaks out and starts playing better. 

Change that setting and you'll play 100% better. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Also once you fix that mouse setting, I suggest trying to target above 60 fps at all times. It's important to have a consistent, preferable 60 FPS while playing with a mouse. I can 30 fps game on a controller, it messes up your aiming on a mouse. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Also once you fix that mouse setting, I suggest trying to target above 60 fps at all times. It's important to have a consistent, preferable 60 FPS while playing with a mouse. I can 30 fps game on a controller, it messes up your aiming on a mouse. 

I might reduce AA to x1 instead of x4 because right now on this shitty monitor I have now it doesn't matter...not one bit. My monitor's so bad I can see its refresh rate, lol. (Horizontal lines speeding from top to bottom constantly)

on bf4 by default, the mouse moves at a different, slower speed when scoped. Now this is great for controller, but the PC port has this on by default and it fucked me up too. every time I mention this in a lobby the whole lobby freaks out and starts playing better. 

Change that setting and you'll play 100% better. 

Huh, i'm really good at BF4 and i don't think i ever turned that off...

i guess i'm the least picky gamer of all time, i've never touched an FOV slider

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Huh, i'm really good at BF4 and i don't think i ever turned that off...

i guess i'm the least picky gamer of all time, i've never touched an FOV slider

What's a FOV slider in the first place? I mean I know it's "field of view" but is it best to keep it at highest? 

What's a FOV slider in the first place?

Changes your field of view. Basically changes the thickness of a theoretical lens you're looking through, distorting it this way or that.

People really hate locked down FOVs and everyone seems to have a specific preference, but it's never bothered me.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Changes your field of view. Basically changes the thickness of a theoretical lens you're looking through, distorting it this way or that.

People really hate locked down FOVs and everyone seems to have a specific preference, but it's never bothered me.

I want some pro to teach me how to BF4. $10/occasion - paying via paypal.

(Joke - but it'd be great if I could 1v1 a pro dude)