Will a 980 be worth buying early this summer?

We all know how fast GPU tech is moving. The 980 was released late summer 2014 and now the Titan X was recently released. I've seen countless videos praising the 980 for its price for performance and I am wondering if buying one early this summer would be worth the $550+. Right now, I only have a 1080p monitor and have an r9 270x 4GB. I want a new beefy card that will allow me to destroy absolutely any game at 1080p and play at 1440 if I ever decide to move up. I'll take any feedback, luv u sweetums bye.

980? price per performance? Dafuq did I just read... you are better off with a 970 for 1080-1440p

as my signature states

Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)

I have a single asus gtx 970 strix, and this will destroy any game @ 1080p on ultra settings that I have played

so far so good

We all know how fast GPU tech is moving. The 980 was released late summer 2014 and now the Titan X was recently released. I've seen countless videos praising the 980 for its price for performance and I am wondering if buying one early this summer would be worth the $550+. Right now, I only have a 1080p monitor and have an r9 270x 4GB. I want a new beefy card that will allow me to destroy absolutely any game at 1080p and play at 1440 if I ever decide to move up. I'll take any feedback, luv u sweetums bye.

AMD's flag ship will be out at that point. So we don't know now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have am MSI 970 as well and it does pretty well playing games at 1080p. I haven't even had overclocked it since it still does pretty well. Graphics on games doesn't really demanding nowadays because of how limited the power of the current consoles so a 970 alone (especially 2 of them in sli) will do pretty well in the future.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

AM I the only person on this forum that prefers a better single card solution rather than two mid tier cards in sli?

people usually assume "more is better". and that's true, to a certain point.

AM I the only person on this forum that prefers a better single card solution rather than two mid tier cards in sli?

i was going to buy my friends two 660s but I got a single R9 290 instead, in the future im going to get a second 290

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

980? price per performance? Dafuq did I just read... you are better off with a 970 for 1080-1440p

as my signature states

Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)

The GTX 980 isn't overpriced, two 980's > triple 970's so.

Why do you consider a 970 "mid-tier"? And If DX12 delivers as advertised, 970SLI will smash a single 980 to the ground

The GTX 980 isn't overpriced, two 980's > triple 970's so.

It is overpriced for what it is... it is not worth the 550 dollars

Why do you consider a 970 "mid-tier"? And If DX12 delivers as advertised, 970SLI will smash a single 980 to the ground

960,"970",980 

It's a mid tier card its in the middle of consumer grade 900 series cards 

Yeah that is usually the case. E.g. 1 R9 280X over 2 R9 270s, but GTX970 and 980 are so close with a fairly hefty price gap that the 980 just doesn't look that appealing.

That's your opinion.

Not only mine, 90% of ppl here will say that :)

I do believe that says 970 OC not just the 970 so please bring me proper info like a 980 oc vs 970 oc or just a 980 vs 970 no bs

Ar16ZDA.png

I say wait for amd's 300 series, maybe something will be better for the same price

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

No, i agree. I still think people are going to regret going 970 SLI down the road, it was the same around the time 780 ti last year

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I do believe that says 970 OC not just the 970 so please bring me proper info like a 980 oc vs 970 oc or just a 980 vs 970 no bs

Ar16ZDA.png

Its a 100% fair comparison because the 980 is up to 250 dollars more expensive.

For the added price of the card its simply not worth it.

You can oc a MUCH cheaper card to achieve the same results and people say the 980 its worth its salt.

Its a 100% fair comparison because the 980 is up to 250 dollars more expensive.

For the added price of the card its simply not worth it.

You can oc a MUCH cheaper card to achieve the same results and people say the 980 its worth its salt.

Let me laugh.

All im saying its not a fair comparison

Oh and one more thing why are you always an ass to me when you reply to things I post?  

No, i agree. I still think people are going to regret going 970 SLI down the road, it was the same around the time 780 ti last year

Regret? If DX12 delivers as promised, then a 980 can go hide under a rock :P

Regret? If DX12 delivers as promised, then a 980 can go hide under a rock :P

The main benefit of DX12 will be the removal of CPU bottlenecks, it's not going to magically make your graphics cards perform a billion times better

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The main benefit of DX12 will be the removal of CPU bottlenecks, it's not going to magically make your graphics cards perform a billion times better

I was thinking more along the lines of the VRAM stacking, but yeah, we shall see :)

The 970 is mid tier.

LOL

Ar16ZDA.png

The most disturbing part of this post is how good the 780 ti still performs. For the money a used one blows away the competition price/performance. Not NEW... but used.