Looking for a phone that feels premium and tailored

carolkarine

So in august I'll be due for an upgrade, and Im thinking about which phone I'll end up getting. When I get a phone, I'm looking for a premium, high quality device that is fast and tailored to my needs (daily use stuff, nothing serious) but I want it to feel premium in my hand, first and foremost. That's why I absolutely adore my M7 from HTC, although it's a little worse for the wear, and it's why I hate nexus and galaxy series phones. Their plastic backs feel cheap.

So the phones I'm looking at are: the M9, the S6 edge, and the M8. I've used an M8 and while it's a good phone, but I'm not sold. There was something about the design language I wasn't a fan of. I think the M9 changed that, and is more an iterative release, but it brings back the good bits of the M7. On the other hand, the edge is... Very tempting (I would put cyanogenmod 12 on any of these)

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

What carrier? important question.

Out of those phones I would say the S6

Though I am partial to the Moto X, I would wait for the new model to arrive though.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

M9 maybe?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

So the phones I'm looking at are: the M9, the S6 edge, and the M8. I've used an M8 and while it's a good phone, but I'm not sold. There was something about the design language I wasn't a fan of. I think the M9 changed that, and is more an iterative release, but it brings back the good bits of the M7. On the other hand, the edge is... Very tempting (I would put cyanogenmod 12 on any of these)

Get the regular S6 (or the M9), not the S6 Edge. I got to use a demo unit the other day for a few hours and it was just so awkward and uncomfortable to hold. 

"Rawr XD"

Get an m9. As aniallation said, the S6 edge is rather awkward to use, I managed to do some weird swipe thing with the side screen when trying to reach for the back button, and I can see that being a common occurrence. The M9 feels far better built than the S6 IMO and the edge on it that is similar to the m7 is really rather nice, not sharp or uncomfortable like a lot of reviewers initially thought.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

M8 still. Better than both new flagships in that department. Typing this on a m8 :P

M9 has reviewed horrible, it is a huge let down considering just how awesome the M8 was last year.

The S6 is being touted as the best android phone period. Samsung redid the design philosphy and it looks great but I haven't used it myself to confirm

Intel i5 6600k

Powercolor AMD R9 390

IDK why people don't consider plastic "Premium". I love my OPO's grippy plastic, the Nexus 6's soft-touch-ish plastics feels great and the "pleather" backing of the Note 4 is probably the most premium material I've ever felt in a phone short of the Moto X 2014's real leather back. I can't stand slippery, malleable, cold metal of any sort.

I'd go 64GB red leather 2014 Moto X if I cared more about feel than function, though it's not a bad phone by any means. If money was no object and I had to buy a new phone, I'd be split between the 64GB OPO or the 64GB Midnight Blue Nexus 6 (or maybe wait for OnePlus Two? IDK).

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Heyyo,

If you want a tailored phone? HTC One M9, Note 4 or S6. The edge is more about bling than practicality though... so I'd even go as far as recommending the Note 4 over it. It's got a nice mix of metal side bands and that pleather back is pretty nice.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

IDK why people don't consider plastic "Premium". I love my OPO's grippy plastic, the Nexus 6's soft-touch-ish plastics feels great and the "pleather" backing of the Note 4 is probably the most premium material I've ever felt in a phone short of the Moto X 2014's real leather back. I can't stand slippery, malleable, cold metal of any sort.

I'd go 64GB red leather 2014 Moto X if I cared more about feel than function, though it's not a bad phone by any means. If money was no object and I had to buy a new phone, I'd be split between the 64GB OPO or the 64GB Midnight Blue Nexus 6 (or maybe wait for OnePlus Two? IDK).

Plastic has a wide range of feelings.  Samsung's S3/S4 plastic is just terrible, it literally absorbs the oils from your hands and makes the phone slippery.  The S2 plastic was nice and textured, except for the glossy parts. The black Nexus 5 had a nice rubberized back, which IMO is still the best feeling plastic I've used.  Most people associate plastic with Samsung, therefore plastic is considered inferior.  

Sure the iPhone has a nice aluminum body, but it has a friction coefficient of like...0, so I can't even enjoy it because I need to use a case for grip.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

If you're like me and have hands that sweat easily, any plastic is more slippery than aluminum. My 5s is extremely grippy nude compared to an att s2.

I should revise my previous statement: while I would not consider an all-aluminum phone, a phone with aluminum trim and a back of a different, more grippy material I would love. (e.g. Moto X, Nexus 6, Note 4)

Plastic has a wide range of feelings.  Samsung's S3/S4 plastic is just terrible, it literally absorbs the oils from your hands and makes the phone slippery.  The S2 plastic was nice and textured, except for the glossy parts. The black Nexus 5 had a nice rubberized back, which IMO is still the best feeling plastic I've used.  Most people associate plastic with Samsung, therefore plastic is considered inferior.

Ah, that would make sense. The S3/4/5/Note 1/2's plastic backs were horrible. (Side note, the removable wrist rest my Corsair K70 came with seems to be made of the EXACT same plastic as the S5/Tab S, complete with atrocious Band-Aid perforation. It feels identical to the S5/Tab S in that it is THE single worst feeling material I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. It's not even usable because your wrist slowly slides down the rest until it hits your desk)

official-samsung-galaxy-s5-back-cover-chpost-145931-0-18078500-1428499943_thumb.

Sure the iPhone has a nice aluminum body, but it has a friction coefficient of like...0, so I can't even enjoy it because I need to use a case for grip.

LOL this. Though the HTC One M8 was horribly slippery as well.

post-145931-0-18078500-1428499943_thumb.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

The M8 is not much of an upgrade over the M7, and the M9 is said to have quite a bit of issues. I have no idea how the S6 Edge stacks up, but i doubt it will be able to live up to the price tag.

If i were you, i'd stick with the m7 a little longer. Unless it's absolutely broken, or you really want to ditch it.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED