Do 4690K's pretty much always OC better than 4670K's?

So i currently have a 4670K and 4690K (going to sell one) i'm just wondering if it's even worth the time testing the overclocks on the 4670K? I know that the 4690K has improved thermals and intel did something to improve overclocking as well but that's about it. I'm not sure if there were some golden 4670k's or if they just hit a wall in terms of overclocking and thermals that the 4690K can surpass.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

If you haven't unboxed it, it's not worth it. You'll get more cash if it's unboxed.

signatures are the illuminati #mkultragotcha

So i currently have a 4670K and 4690K (going to sell one) i'm just wondering if it's even worth the time testing the overclocks on the 4670K? I know that the 4690K has improved thermals and intel did something to improve overclocking as well but i'm not sure if there were some golden 4670k's or if they just hit a wall in terms of overclocking and thermals that the 4690K can surpass.

Pretty sure it was a change to the thermal interface between the die and the heatspreader. It may now be fluxless solder, I know the -E haswells are.

Silicon Lottery still plays a big part in overclockability.

So i currently have a 4670K and 4690K (going to sell one) i'm just wondering if it's even worth the time testing the overclocks on the 4670K? I know that the 4690K has improved thermals and intel did something to improve overclocking as well but i'm not sure if there were some golden 4670k's or if they just hit a wall in terms of overclocking and thermals that the 4690K can surpass.

A golden 4670K will still do better then a bombed 4690K, but for the "general public", 90% of 4690Ks still OC better then 4670Ks

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

On average the 4690k with have better overclocks but it's not a certainty. It's not worth test the overclock on it because even if you get a few hundred mhz it's not going to be worth the extra money you will lose in my opinion.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

There are some definite golden i5-4670k. I have seen a couple of people at this forum running them on pretty damn low voltages while getting really strong overclocks out of them. But I read lots of complaints about the 4670k and 4770k being lousy overclockers and running really hot, and it seems like on average you're better off with Devil's Canyon from all I have read.

If you haven't unboxed it, it's not worth it. You'll get more cash if it's unboxed.

I opened it. It was a RMA replacement so i figured i would quickly test it before selling. I'm not going to bother testing the overclocking though as i just realized that even if it does overclock slightly better (which is unlikely) it's not worth the higher temps.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Based on my readings on this forum, it seems like the i5-4670k was a real hit/miss/average chip.  The i5-4690k on the other hand seems to be a consistently average performer, with very rare instances of people getting bad chips or amazing chips.  Its solid.

Tons of times last year people were getting really bad 4670ks and i7-4770ks.  The devil's canyon processors seem to be more consistent performers.

I'm also not sure higher temps are a given with the Haswell version processors.  I have a 4670k, albeit a really freaking amazing one, but even at higher voltages, my chip remains cool.  You can check out my review of the chip with my Hyper 212 EVO, and Seidon 240M in a variety of scenarios.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."