why linus dosent do review?

origx36

linus does allot of unboxing and "first looks"

but he allmost never do full review

why?

dosent it makes him a little buyest?

beacuse he allmost never tells bad things in unboxing

and when some one else is doing a review about some product and sais its not good

the company that makes the product is mad at him (like ttl and asus's maximus vi extreme)

I would like to hear reviews by linus i think that would be nice. 

EDIT: never mind i have seen a good amount of reviews by him i don't know what i was thinking :L

Because first looks are supposed to highlight what the product is all about. Not how good / bad it is compared with other products (aka a review)

However they review loads of CPU coolers, CPU's and graphics cards.

And I guess the reason why they don't review something like motherboards is because the average person don't relate to the results you'd get from a review like that. It's "better" to do a first look / unboxing of those types of products.

because he gets sponsored by major compaines. and hes trying to prevent controversial and/or baised reveiws, its safer that way

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

eviews were never really the foundation of Linus Tech Tips. In the beginning NCIX Tech Tips was intended for the in-depth coverage of products, while Linus Tech Tips was the channel where I could quickly film the process of opening the box in preparation for making the real content.

In time we realized that unboxings were actually more popular and for the majority of our viewers they contained all of the information they wanted out of a video anyway, so we focused on those.

The cold hard truth is that a video review can never contain the same in-depth coverage as a well done text article, so rather than try to compete directly with reviews, we make content that supplements reviews, which often don't contain a good look at the product and the things in the box. 

We also don't just do some glam footage, however. We seek to give some real information about the product, category, or the market condition to go along with the unboxing. I believe this sets our unboxing videos apart from others. It's a middle ground for people who want to learn a bit about the product and see it up close. If they're really interested in buying it they can go read some user reviews or professional reviews, or post about it on the forum here, and if they watch the video and they're not interested in it, then they don't have to do that follow up because they already have a solid general idea of what it's like.

That's all fine & dandy, but the graphics showdowns are essentially reviews & they're fantastically popular.

That's all fine & dandy, but the graphics showdowns are essentially reviews & they're fantastically popular.

Agreed. Even though Linus is sponsored by a few companies, he should find a way to include at least VGA reviews, game specific ones, like he used to. Whatever he uses.. the GPU is what matters anyway, we don't care if it's an MSI twin frozR, Direct CU2 or whatever... Include all of them if necessary.

eviews were never really the foundation of Linus Tech Tips. In the beginning NCIX Tech Tips was intended for the in-depth coverage of products, while Linus Tech Tips was the channel where I could quickly film the process of opening the box in preparation for making the real content.

In time we realized that unboxings were actually more popular and for the majority of our viewers they contained all of the information they wanted out of a video anyway, so we focused on those.

The cold hard truth is that a video review can never contain the same in-depth coverage as a well done text article, so rather than try to compete directly with reviews, we make content that supplements reviews, which often don't contain a good look at the product and the things in the box.

We also don't just do some glam footage, however. We seek to give some real information about the product, category, or the market condition to go along with the unboxing. I believe this sets our unboxing videos apart from others. It's a middle ground for people who want to learn a bit about the product and see it up close. If they're really interested in buying it they can go read some user reviews or professional reviews, or post about it on the forum here, and if they watch the video and they're not interested in it, then they don't have to do that follow up because they already have a solid general idea of what it's like.

I totally agree, no one wants to see a review of things they don't necessarily care about and the reviews which you guys do make are really great. If I would have to buy some products I would checkout you unboxing, anandtech or other sites written review and LTT forums that's my research.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

I totally agree, no one wants to see a review of things they don't necessarily care about and the reviews which you guys do make are really great. If I would have to buy some products I would checkout you unboxing, anandtech or other sites written review and LTT forums that's my research.

Edit: for some reason it was posted twice and I can't deleted it. :(

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

LinusTech, on 09 Jul 2013 - 2:34 PM, said:

We could form up a team, where you do the the formal and traditional unbox/"mini-review" thing on video then later the product gets headed to a "office" where its proper deep thorough text-based review scene will be taken care of, the actual group is perfectly capable of accomplish such task but due to high video-demand i am afraid that for the success of text-based reviews would be necessary to hire new fellows for Linus Media Group specifically to deal with this situation. And there borns the new Anandtech. AWWWWWWWW YEAH. I mean it.

If by any means you consider my idea i just want you to know that, i am not korean tho i would really appreciate to be part of such group, sooooooo yeah just let me know, I can catch a plane and be there by the next morning.

It would be nice to have a link to a text review under the un-boxing. Even if it was only 300 words long or bullet pointed pros and cons.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It would be nice to have a link to a text review under the un-boxing. Even if it was only 300 words long or bullet pointed pros and cons.

I did this for a while when the forum first launched and no one was really looking at them.

Agreed. Even though Linus is sponsored by a few companies, he should find a way to include at least VGA reviews, game specific ones, like he used to. Whatever he uses.. the GPU is what matters anyway, we don't care if it's an MSI twin frozR, Direct CU2 or whatever... Include all of them if necessary.

Linus just did 1920 and 2560 performance reviews of the GTX Titan, 780, and 770, as well as a 1920 performance review of the GTX 760.  I mean, what more do you guys want? :lol:

Is it really necessary to do a separate video for each game?  If it's not a Crysis or something else graphically groundbreaking, I don't see the point.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Verry well explained, but it would be nice to have something to read about personal experiences with a product.

Your fan controller for instance, a reviewer would immediately write that the product doesn't work, but after some tweaking and searching, it turns out to be a great thing to have...

Would also be nice to have a short list of pro's and con's about a product, so one can decide if he would be bothered by the cons stated.

Proud to be from Belgium.

Verry well explained, but it would be nice to have something to read about personal experiences with a product.

Your fan controller for instance, a reviewer would immediately write that the product doesn't work, but after some tweaking and searching, it turns out to be a great thing to have...

Would also be nice to have a short list of pro's and con's about a product, so one can decide if he would be bothered by the cons stated.

This is all very valid, but the problem is that so many products come through the lab I just don't have the hands-on time with every single one of them to give a long term review. Every reviewer struggles with this to a certain extent. Unless it's something where the reviewer ponies up to buy one, or happens to be lucky enough to get to keep the product for personal use, then usually you get the product, produce the content, then you don't really look at it again...

Another issue is that many of the things I use for personal use are discontinued (Xonar Xense, GTX 590, IKARI Laser), rare/unique items (refurb SSD RAID array, painted TJ07, HD-DVD+Blu-Ray drive), expensive to the point where I couldn't really recommend them (Extreme Edition), extremely difficult to use (mCubed T-balancer), or just very personal taste driven (Mionix Zibal 60).

So what would be the point of making long term reviews on any of that stuff? It's not like you can build a machine exactly like mine even if you wanted to.

So it's a balancing act. Make the best content you can while the product is still relevant, then use other mediums like the live stream or forum to talk about the behind the scenes experiences with stuff.

I did this for a while when the forum first launched and no one was really looking at them.

I always read them. Maybe its worth a try again. You should mention you have a write up at the end of the video if you do and link it in the description if you didn't. Most people probably didn't know it existed.

The forum has grown a bit since then. You would probably drive a lot of people to them if you did a "Q&A" session for the first few questions about the product. It would also be a nice place to ask you about bits you might have missed out in the unboxing.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

This is all very valid, but the problem is that so many products come through the lab I just don't have the hands-on time with every single one of them to give a long term review. Every reviewer struggles with this to a certain extent. Unless it's something where the reviewer ponies up to buy one, or happens to be lucky enough to get to keep the product for personal use, then usually you get the product, produce the content, then you don't really look at it again...

Another issue is that many of the things I use for personal use are discontinued (Xonar Xense, GTX 590, IKARI Laser), rare/unique items (refurb SSD RAID array, painted TJ07, HD-DVD+Blu-Ray drive), expensive to the point where I couldn't really recommend them (Extreme Edition), extremely difficult to use (mCubed T-balancer), or just very personal taste driven (Mionix Zibal 60).

So what would be the point of making long term reviews on any of that stuff? It's not like you can build a machine exactly like mine even if you wanted to.

So it's a balancing act. Make the best content you can while the product is still relevant, then use other mediums like the live stream or forum to talk about the behind the scenes experiences with stuff.

Again, great explanation, I totaly understand you now!

Thanks for answering my question!

Really like your video's! Keep them comming!

Proud to be from Belgium.

i don't think, it is wise for a company that is largely based on sponsors, to do subjective reviews, if Linus were to do a negative review it might hurt his chance of the company making the product sponsoring him, thus this would pressure Linus into doing mainly "good reviews." But with in boxing he can just explain the product, maybe point out a couple of things he didn't like, and companies love him for the press.

dosent it makes him a little buyest?

beacuse he allmost never tells bad things in unboxing

I am not sure we are watching the same youtuber. Linus unboxes but almost all his "first looks" contain more info that just an unboxing. Linus goes over all the info and gives you his first impressions. Also, Linus will give you an actual review of any product he is unboxing but has had previous experience with. And Biased? lol seriously you must not be watching the same guy, I've seen him hammer a product all the way back in to the box. Although its not that often but probably because most (or at least a large portion) of the unboxings are actually products that Linus has bought for himself, Linus Media group or something along those lines and research has gone in to getting the best product in that line. 

While the guys do try and stay political to an extent on the youtube unboxings and so on (but compared to others they are harsh and honest in fairness) you need to watch the live shows, gloves come off and all bets are off when things are live (EA :D)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

thanx for the answer,and for sharing this post on facebook/twitter

now i understand the resone you do this format of videos

Making the best use of the time each day, there's the challenge, You only get so much to do...

I have been watching linus for a long time (nice curtains), that entire timeframe until now his life and work loads

have increased immensly, as the entire LMG group,.. yet they still push forward and maintain professionalism.

Shout out to the LinusMediaGroup for your Swag!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also is at all possible to make a thread where we "the audience/fans" can supply video suggestions & ideas ?

For example, you always say that it's best to spend more on the GPU than on the CPU for any gaming build, how about a video where two systems are benchmarked and compared, one with a 100$ CPU + a 300$ GPU & one with a 200$ CPU & a 200$ GPU.

Something like an AMD FX 6300 (120$) (you can just use your 8350 & disable a module in the BIOS) + a 7950 (300$)
& a 4670K (230$) + a gtx 660 (200$) and put the Linus seal on it by overclocking everything, you have all the parts & it's a cool idea + you get to review those z87 boards you have.

Also videos about general topics like this get a ton of views, every person in the process of building a gaming PC for the first time will be asking themselves should I spend more on this or this ? it's a win win for everybody.