Question: Dual Xeon x5670 workstation

Hi all,

I'm new on the forum, so I will shortly introduce myself; I'm Matthijs from the Netherlands.

I'm planning  to build a workstation with dual xeon x5670's. The computer will be primarily for video editing. I have chosen for this processor because they are fairly cheap on ebay. I do not know which motherboard would be the best for me, I doubt between an HP z800 motherboard (rev 3, not so easy to find), a Supermicro X8DTI or an Intel S5520SC. I've done some research on the web but I couldn't find a lot of info, or maybe I'm not looking on the right places... 

Which motherboard would you recommend for me? Or do you have any tips?

regards,

Matthijs

HP stands for: Horrible Products, and I'd never touch an HP product with a 10ft pole. Go for the Intel board.

What are you doing with it. You said video editing, but what kind? Is it for work or editing Call of Duty videos? Big difference

I don't have any personal experience with that chip, but I can tell you for the most part, dual slot boards don't get taken advantage of.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

What are you doing with it. You said video editing, but what kind?

Most of the time it will be footage from my Gopro and of my Canon t2i. It's just for me personal, not work related.

Matthijs

Most of the time it will be footage from my Gopro and of my Canon t2i. It's just for me personal, not work related.

Matthijs

Will you be gaming on said rig as well?

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Will you be gaming on said rig as well?

No gaming on this rig, I will do that on my game PC ;)

No gaming on this rig, I will do that on my game PC ;)

Then you don't need a dual slot motherboard. My recommendation is to upgrade your gaming pc to a good quad-core with hyperthreading and call it a day.

The gaming rig I now have is a x99 with an 5820k, so you're probally thinking; why would you build an extra rig... I do quite some video editing together with my brother. So to work more efficiently, it's nice to have a second workstation. I now it's overkill to build a second rig just as extra editing PC, but we would like to do it.

Why do you say that you wouldn't need a dual slot motherboard? 

Matthijs

-snip-

Can you tell me why you do need one?

We want to edit together at the same time. I know it's absurd to build a new rig just for that, but why not :)

But why do you need a dual CPU board for that?

We want good performance for not to much money. A dual xeon x5650/70 is not that expencive, but the performance for video editing are about the same as a 5820k... If you want the same performance with a single cpu mobo, it will be more expencive. Or am I totally wrong?

It depends on the application a huge amount. Plus the trouble isn't worth it for personal use at all. I'm aware of the benefits of a dual-slot board (I use one myself)... but not for personal use.

It depends on the application a huge amount. Plus the trouble isn't worth it for personal use at all. I'm aware of the benefits of a dual-slot board (I use one myself)... but not for personal use.

What would you recommend as second pc, with a decent performance?

What would you recommend as second pc, with a decent performance?

How much is your budget?

How much is your budget?

About 650 to 700 dollar, maybe al little bit more, but not to much.

About 650 to 700 dollar, maybe al little bit more, but not to much.

4770k, 16GB of ram, a 960 (or even a 750ti) for occasional cuda rendering, and spend the rest on the other components that arent critical. Use a 500W PSU

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

4770k, 16GB of ram, a 960 (or even a 750ti) for occasional cuda rendering, and spend the rest on the other components that arent critical. Use a 500W PSU

Thank you for your reply, I have done some research on the web. I have found a 4790k, after overclocking this cpu I hope to get near dual x5670 performance. So I think it's a good choise. For the graffics card; a 960 would cost about 210 dollar, a 750 ti 90 (second hand), or a 560 ti in sli for 100 dollar (second hand). Which one would you recommend?

Thank you for your reply, I have done some research on the web. I have found a 4790k, after overclocking this cpu I hope to get near dual x5670 performance. So I think it's a good choise. For the graffics card; a 960 would cost about 210 dollar, a 750 ti 90 (second hand), or a 560 ti in sli for 100 dollar (second hand). Which one would you recommend?

if you plan on gaming, a 960. if you dont want to game on it, or game lightly at <1080p, then a 750ti will be great. dont go for the 560tis.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Still a 960. Maxwell does pretty well for rendering actually.

Oke, I'm still thinking because of the big price difference.

For the motherboard, I've found an Asus z87-a. Is this a good mobo for overclocking?

So. I have ordered a i7 4790k. I'm still searching for a motherboard. I have found some motherboard's for a decent price, but I can't really find which one would be the best. The Motherboards: An Asus tuf sabertooth z97 mark 2, a An Asrock z97 extreme4, a Gigabyte ga-z97-d3h (not the best I thought), A Gigabyte z97mx-gaming 5, MSI z97 gaming 3 and an Asus z97-a motherboard. Sorry for the long list :). I will be searching the web to find which one of the motherboard would perform the best, it would be helpfull if one of you could help me a little. Thank you. :)

Matthijs

i ran dual 5660x for awhile no rendering like i was suppose to. but running it as a storage server was great and 4 different minecraft servers and a csgo server filled up 76gb ram and never got cpu usage over 5% but inputs a bit of a pain being stuck with sata 2 ports. yes there is the pci-e expansion but its additional cost dose add up. it was good have around as it did pretty much anything but ssd on sata 2 was very crippled and easy to run out of bandwidth. i did look into bootable Pci-e ssds but found them over priced for my likings.10 gbe for being exstreme is good knowing lan partys are covered and not worring about one less.

thing im planing to move to a newer platform as intel 750 ssd's have caught my intrest but require an braodwell chipset for NVMe support the supermicro X10DAX-o and run one (if still can) or two 2620V3 xeons and i dont think ECC memeory is required at lower volumes(16GB-64GB) but is recommended once going crazy but the "just cause" mentality was and is fun and keeps the world moving forward