building a new pc with windows 10?

jelko

Is windows 10 good enough for a daily driver? I would keep backups of files on other hard drives..

Just trying to save some money because I'm already about $1,000 over budget

Is windows 10 good enough for a daily driver? I would keep backups of files on other hard drives..

Just trying to save some money because I'm already about $1,000 over budget

Nah, still buggy and untested.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

You'll need to buy it once it comes out, but until then it's free

There's still lots of bugs in there, but if you're taking regular backups, I don't see any problem. Lots of members have either used it in the past, or are using it right now @jelko

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

you don't use a beta OS for your daily pc

its ment for techy people to try out and learn and find bugs to report to ms

not for your average moron to screw around with

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Just get windows 7 or 8.. Or even linu if you want to get 100$ More for hardware.

Windows10 is usavle. But quite buggy and annoying (crashes o me a lot)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

@jelko

I personally wouldn't use Windows 10 in its current state as your daily driver. It is very buggy and is in the 'beta' stage. While it appears alright, it could potentially cause restarts and losses of data that you don't really want. Windows 10 is supposed to be used so that people can suggest improvements. I would stick to Windows 8 or 7 for the time being.

Hope this Helps :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

you don't use a beta OS for your daily pc

its ment for techy people to try out and learn and find bugs to report to ms

not for your average moron to screw around with

well my use actually passed all of your criteria

so I'm downloading now

@jelko

I personally wouldn't use Windows 10 in its current state as your daily driver. It is very buggy and is in the 'beta' stage. While it appears alright, it could potentially cause restarts and losses of data that you don't really want. Windows 10 is supposed to be used so that people can suggest improvements. I would stick to Windows 8 or 7 for the time being.

Hope this Helps :D

Thanks!

if you were really techy...you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

well my use actually passed all of your criteria

so I'm downloading now

Just an FYI, the Tech Preview will expire around the time Windows 10 retail hits. You're still going to need to buy Windows at one point or another. Also, you will need to perform a clean install of Windows 10 retail once it comes out, as the Tech Preview will not be upgradeable to retail.

As long as you're OKAY with those two criteria, as well as all the above previously mentioned in the thread, then go nuts. It is still pre-release software, and there ARE bugs, but it's generally usable for one who is tech proficient.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

if you were really techy...you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place

yeah, next time I'll ask if I'm techy in my question and you can answer

Just an FYI, the Tech Preview will expire around the time Windows 10 retail hits. You're still going to need to buy Windows at one point or another. Also, you will need to perform a clean install of Windows 10 retail once it comes out, as the Tech Preview will not be upgradeable to retail.

As long as you're OKAY with those two criteria, as well as all the above previously mentioned in the thread, then go nuts. It is still pre-release software, and there ARE bugs, but it's generally usable for one who is tech proficient.

Despite popular belief I am an IT manager. And my wife probably won't use it for more than internet and email. So we should be fine. Thanks!

Despite popular belief I am an IT manager. And my wife probably won't use it for more than internet and email. So we should be fine. Thanks!

Haha well as said, if you're a tech enthusiast, and are comfortable with that sort of thing, then go for it. I personally use it as my daily driver at home, because I can work through any bugs and instability I find.

Not everyone can do that. But if you can, then it's pretty great so far.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well everything that needs to be said has been said here.

I just want to add to expect monthly or so release of new builds. You can upgrade between them via PC Settings panel (PC Settings (now called simply Settings) -> Update & Recovery -> Windows Update)

Well I've been using windows 10 for a few days and I think It's great. I lost control of the start menu last night(wouldn't even come up, although the right click option still worked for admin tasks) that many others have reported. I was able to fix it eventually by adding a registry value. Upon restarting it more closely resembled something less like windows 8. I thought it was perfect after.

I will have to try new builds soon as my build appears to be one of the originals.(I wanted to watch it's evolution)