Screen tearing: PC vs Consoles?

Gdourado

And?

Your saying using Adaptive V-sync which isn't the same as V-sync, V-sync is a way to eliminate tearing but when the FPS dips you get stuttering, I've never seen tearing occuring when V-sync is on or any article from sites like Anadech, PCPER, EUROGAMER, saying tearing occurs when V-sync is on.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Your saying using Adaptive V-sync which isn't the same as V-sync, V-sync is a way to eliminate tearing but when the FPS dips you get stuttering, I've never seen tearing occuring when V-sync is on or any article from sites like Anadech, PCPER, EUROGAMER, saying tearing occurs when V-sync is on.

Because it's not a given that consoles do have v-sync. Sometimes they do and they stutter, other times they don't and they tear. I told people to use adaptive v-sync to prove to themselves that actually you can get screen tearing with FPS lower than your monitor refresh rate.

Because it's not a given that consoles do have v-sync. Sometimes they do and they stutter, other times they don't and they tear. I told people to use adaptive v-sync to prove to themselves that actually you can get screen tearing with FPS lower than your monitor refresh rate.

But why did you say Adaptive V-sync ?? as console never use that and it's an Nvidia exclusive.

I dare you to get tearing when V-sync is on.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

But why did you say Adaptive V-sync ?? as console never use that and it's an Nvidia exclusive.

I dare you to get tearing when V-sync is on.

Are you actually reading my posts? It doesn't seem like it O.o

I'm not saying you get tearing when v-sync is on, I'm saying you get it when v-sync is off and your fps is dropping blow your monitor's refresh rate.

Adaptive V-sync is a feature for people who hate stuttering so v-sync is on when your fps is higher than your monitor refresh rate, and off when your fps dips below it. Ergo, people who don't think that you can get screen tearing at low fps should try it and see.

Are you actually reading my posts? It doesn't seem like it O.o

I'm not saying you get tearing when v-sync is on, I'm saying you get it when v-sync is off and your fps is dropping blow your monitor's refresh rate.

Adaptive V-sync is a feature for people who hate stuttering so v-sync is on when your fps is higher than your monitor refresh rate, and off when your fps dips below it. Ergo, people who don't think that you can get screen tearing at low fps should try it and see.

1. You can if V-sync is off.

2. Why would you recommend Adaptive V-sync ?? as V-sync off and FPS dipping would show that.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

1. You can if V-sync is off.

2. Why would you recommend Adaptive V-sync ?? as V-sync off and FPS dipping would show that.

Adaptive V-sync would eliminate the tearing from being caused by fps spikes above your monitor refresh rate. Why are you so hung up on adaptive v-sync and actively ignoring the actual point being discussed?

Adaptive V-sync would eliminate the tearing from being caused by fps spikes above your monitor refresh rate. Why are you so hung up on adaptive v-sync and actively ignoring the actual point being discussed?

Then I apologize.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Consoles do not suffer from Screen Tear as they are locked at 30/60fps by VSync which is why they have such consistent FPS.

This is a huge disadvantage going from console to PC though, one that I noticed instantly.

It's not a disadvantage, V-sync on is unplayable imo.

Adaptive V-sync is Nvidia exclusive, you use only V-sync not adaptive V-sync on console and other GPUs.

Totally wrong , adaptive sync has been on console games for 10+ years

Almost every UbiSoft title uses it

https://youtu.be/wUaygMISL50

This video is also for people in this thread saying tearing can't occur below refresh rate.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

It's not a disadvantage, V-sync on is unplayable imo.

Going from consistent 30 or 60 (within reason) to drips of up to 20 for in a lot of game is a disadvantage.

Console always was in my heart for the reason of never having to sit and play with configs if performance wasn't good enough.

Although I do enjoy fiddling with settings now so things have changed.

Going from consistent 30 or 60 (within reason) to drips of up to 20 for in a lot of game is a disadvantage.

Console always was in my heart for the reason of never having to sit and play with configs if performance wasn't good enough.

See I have the opposite experience, I find consoles usually have drops and stuff and I like to be able to keep my experience at 60fps

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Totally wrong , adaptive sync has been on console games for 10+ years

Almost every UbiSoft title uses it

https://youtu.be/wUaygMISL50

This video is also for people in this thread saying tearing can't occur below refresh rate.

How do you know that's adaptive v-sync ??? prove that it's adaptive v-sync 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

How do you know that's adaptive v-sync ??? prove that it's adaptive v-sync

It locks at 30 with vsync on, vsync disengages when it does below 30 is very common on console games

The video is the proof, at 30 watch dogs far cry and such is vsync on, below is screen tearing

Edit :I'm grabbing the far cry video right now

Watch from about 0:55

https://youtu.be/6YYMj4tdTN4

It locks at 30 with vsync on, vsync disengages when it does below 30 is very common on console games

The video is the proof, at 30 watch dogs far cry and such is vsync on, below is screen tearing

Edit :I'm grabbing the far cry video right now

They could just be using FPS limiter like RivaTuner does so yeah this isn't prove.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

They could just be using FPS limiter like RivaTuner does so yeah this isn't prove.

But limiting fps doesn't engage vsync

But limiting fps doesn't engage vsync

How do consoles use Adaptive v-sync if it's an Nvidia technology ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

How do consoles use Adaptive v-sync if it's an Nvidia technology ?

Is a console technology that nvidia adapted for consumer gpus

Basically that "to the metal" driver you always hear about allows plenty of things that most regular gpus can't do

This is something that consoles have had for longer than PC

Is a console technology that nvidia adapted for consumer gpus

Basically that "to the metal" driver you always hear about allows plenty of things that most regular gpus can't do

This is something that consoles have had for longer than PC

Okay that's for clarifying that for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Okay that's for clarifying that for me.

I was actually thinking about making a thread about it the other day, I might make one in a couple days about it so it's not clustered by this thread and seem like duplication of the thread

Dead rising 2 on ps3 is just awful..so awful for screen tearing.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Dead rising 2 on ps3 is just awful..so awful for screen tearing.

The Xbox version is better, but still clunky, it's got totally locked vsync, and the game slows to a crawl so it's stuttering is pretty bad

Screen tearing on consoles is a thing -- just play Skyrim on the 360 if you need to be convinced

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Consoles do not suffer from Screen Tear as they are locked at 30/60fps by VSync which is why they have such consistent FPS.

They're capped (not locked) to 30 or 60. They can—and they often do—fall below.

Well don't play at such shitty framerates then. I only have a 60hz monitor but I aim for 100fps average atleast. 60 fps is honestly pretty horrible, can't wait to get a better monitor.