Is it okay to go over the estimated wattage?

Vinnyisntgud

Im new to the whole pc building thing, and was wondering if a pc that has a estimated wattage of 250, should use a power supply of 500? Incase your wondering here is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinnymiranda/saved/4jpMnQI don't want to screw everything up as you can see im on a budget. Oh and if you see anything that I did really wrong, don't be afraid to let me know, im new to this

a bigger PSU really isn't a big deal, do it.

a long time ago i got a 750W PSU and i'm still using it. my rig now draws 741W estimated 

room for expansion has been a nice thing.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

NO! coming even close to the estimated wattage in terms of power draws is bad, if u system uses 500 watts get a 650 watt power supply

A 300 - 500 bronze power supply will do fine.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

u dont wanna let ur power supply work 100 percent all the time its like making a guy carry a boulder the entire day everyday

Im new to the whole pc building thing, and was wondering if a pc that has a estimated wattage of 250, should use a power supply of 500? Incase your wondering here is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinnymiranda/saved/4jpMnQI don't want to screw everything up as you can see im on a budget. Oh and if you see anything that I did really wrong, don't be afraid to let me know, im new to this

please also tell the the wifi adapter isn't for this build.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

NO! coming even close to the estimated wattage in terms of power draws is bad, if u system uses 500 watts get a 650 watt power supply

I think you're missing the point of his question.

He wants to know if it's okay to use a PSU that's a lot larger than he needs. He apparently needs 250W and he wants to use a 500W unit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

just keep the 500 watt u can parts in the future and its only like 30 bucks, its a steal

u dont wanna let ur power supply work 100 percent all the time its like making a guy carry a boulder the entire day everyday

point

your head.

I think you're missing the point of his question.

He wants to know if it's okay to use a PSU that's a lot larger than he needs. He apparently needs 250W and he wants to use a 500W unit.

it will allow upgrades in the future

Ideally you should sit at 50 percent of the rated limit of the PSU as it will hit the peak efficiency under full system load.

Your estimates are sitting around where the sweet spot under load is and should be pretty much perfect in a gaming situation :)

please also tell the the wifi adapter isn't for this build.

No lol, im gonna run Ethernet, so what you guys are saying is having a psu over the estimated wattage is good? If so would 500 be suitable for this?

saw ur build its great dont change a thing

if it says 500 watts it should only be able to deliver 500 watts

No lol, im gonna run Ethernet, so what you guys are saying is having a psu over the estimated wattage is good? If so would 500 be suitable for this?

yes, get the 500W.

it will work fine, and you have a bit of room to expand later.

if it says 500 watts it should only be able to deliver 500 watts

are you posting to drive your post count up? 

gaming

are you the OP? how do you know?

What will the build be used for?

I plan to play Cs-go, bf4 (on the lower end settings) and maybe gta iv. Currently bf4 plays at 60 fps on super low settings my imac, yes a mid 2011 imac go ahead laugh lol

I plan to play Cs-go, bf4 (on the lower end settings) and maybe gta iv. Currently bf4 plays at 60 fps on super low settings my imac, yes a mid 2011 imac go ahead laugh lol

Do you plan to make any upgrades to this system later on? If so what would you change?

Do you plan to make any upgrades to this system later on? If so what would you change?

Well in the future, maybe 2 years from now when games become more demanding, I'll do some research on maybe a higher end gpu, idk how much that will drive the wattage up tho, but it's 39.99 so even if I have to upgrade later it won't break the wallet

Well in the future, maybe 2 years from now when games become more demanding, I'll do some research on maybe a higher end gpu, idk how much that will drive the wattage up tho, but it's 39.99 so even if I have to upgrade later it won't break the wallet

Do you have a set budget for the PC? Is the budget before or after rebates?