Worth doing a computer science degree?

Cs342

I'm currently a freshman studying computer science. However, all my peers seem to be math whizzes who started coding since 5, while I've barely had any programming experience prior to college and am not an expert at math. Is it worth doing a degree in computer science if I'll just be competing (and losing) against these types of geniuses when I graduate? All of them have done amazing things with their technical knowledge, whereas my tech-related resume is practically blank. I am serious considering switching my major because I feel so inferior compared to most other computer science students. Any thoughts?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I'm currently a freshman studying computer science. However, all my peers seem to be math whizzes who started coding since 5, while I've barely had any programming experience prior to college and am not an expert at math. Is it worth doing a degree in CS if I'll just be competing (and losing) against these types of geniuses when I graduate? All of them have done amazing things with their technical knowledge, whereas my tech-related resume is practically blank. I am serious considering switching my major because I feel so inferior compared to most other CS students. Any thoughts?

It's not about competition. Do what you want to do, maybe learn from them. 

http://puu.sh/hoxZF/b243e2b090.txt 

Software developer, part-time potato. CEO @ RSN. http://rushservers.net/

I'm currently a freshman studying computer science. However, all my peers seem to be math whizzes who started coding since 5, while I've barely had any programming experience prior to college and am not an expert at math. Is it worth doing a degree in CS if I'll just be competing (and losing) against these types of geniuses when I graduate? All of them have done amazing things with their technical knowledge, whereas my tech-related resume is practically blank. I am serious considering switching my major because I feel so inferior compared to most other CS students. Any thoughts?

I would just ask for help and make friends with them. You shouldn't change your dream just cause someone is better than you. You should just learn from them and use them as a goal to get better than. Also help me too? I'm taking CS in May

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I'm currently a freshman studying computer science. However, all my peers seem to be math whizzes who started coding since 5, while I've barely had any programming experience prior to college and am not an expert at math. Is it worth doing a degree in computer science if I'll just be competing (and losing) against these types of geniuses when I graduate? All of them have done amazing things with their technical knowledge, whereas my tech-related resume is practically blank. I am serious considering switching my major because I feel so inferior compared to most other computer science students. Any thoughts?

Don't get discouraged, get better. There's no reason you can't excel ahead of them by putting in the relevant work and time. Absolutely non at all.

The question you should be asking is, do you enjoy it? If so, that's all that matters.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Getting a degree is not a competition to see who knew more when you started. You are there SPECIFICALLY to learn. If you knew everything already THEN there wouldn't be a point. Also, right now CS is one of the few faculties that mean a guaranteed job when you get out. Regardless of what you knew at the start.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't get discouraged, get better. There's no reason you can't excel ahead of them by putting in the relevant work and time. Absolutely non at all.

The question you should be asking is, do you enjoy it? If so, that's all that matters.

I enjoy programming, but not so much the calculus courses I'll have to take next year :/ never been much of a math whiz

Getting a degree is not a competition to see who knew more when you started. You are there SPECIFICALLY to learn. If you knew everything already THEN there wouldn't be a point. Also, right now CS is one of the few faculties that mean a guaranteed job when you get out. Regardless of what you knew at the start.

I guess the only sacrifice is social life, but other than that you're right :)

Yes, most of us stem majors don't even go in our field, cs might have better luck. I love math and cs gives you a pure mathematical way to look at things, a very rare outlook in math. Thats ok dont worry about these crazy smart people, normally they really aren't. The people that effect this world are way smarter than them. Anyways from a some what smart perosn. If you work hard thats better than being smart., it really is.

Yes, most of us stem majors don't even go in our field, cs might have better luck. I love math and cs gives you a pure mathematical way to look at things, a very rare outlook in math. Thats ok dont worry about these crazy smart people, normally they really aren't. The people that effect this world are way smarter than them. Anyways from a some what smart perosn. If you work hard thats better than being smart., it really is.

I guess it's just really discouraging to see all these other people who tell me they find CS really easy and don't spend much time studying because they kno everything already :/

Consider Electronic and Systems Engineering instead as there is a lot less programming and more computer hardware stuff

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Can't say this enough.

If you don't work hard, being smart doesn't mean shit.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

I guess it's just really discouraging to see all these other people who tell me they find CS really easy and don't spend much time studying because they kno everything already :/

its really time in. They have so much more time doing it then you. Its not a bad thing, you dont have the same bias they doyou have a fresh look at on things. Just work damn hard. I had a very poor math background, took me 5 years till i felt like i knew what i should. I also have way higher standards than most schools. It took 10 years for Einstein to formalize his ideas, the rest of his life to doubt them, time my friend is all you need, its all they had over you. You may feel they are way smarter than you but, its not the case.

Consider Electronic and Systems Engineering instead as there is a lot less programming and more computer hardware stuff

That sounds even harder lol

I doubt I'll ever be able to do anything EE related because I don't like math

its really time in. They have so much more time doing it then you. Its not a bad thing, you dont have the same bias they doyou have a fresh look at on things. Just work damn hard. I had a very poor math background, took me 5 years till i felt like i knew what i should. I also have way higher standards than most schools. It took 10 years for Einstein to formalize his ideas, the rest of his life to doubt them, time my friend is all you need, its all they had over you. You may feel they are way smarter than you but, its not the case.

Thanks :) I guess I'll just work harder then :P I'm probably not gonna have any free time at all next year :(

Snip

keep a open mind about math. Its something that may be able to transcend our species. It gets better, it really does. Things start to string together. You can choose how to write things, whatever works best for you, algebraic, geometric, and more. You will see fractons as exponents. Notice relationships for the very large and very small (inverse). I'm not a cs major but, physics. Math is the language of our field well more than that.

keep a open mind about math. Its something that may be able to transcend our species. It gets better, it really does. Things start to string together. You can choose how to write things, whatever works best for you, algebraic, geometric, and more. You will see fractons as exponents. Notice relationships for the very large and very small (inverse). I'm not a cs major but, physics. Math is the language of our field well more than that.

I just seem to be naturally bad at it

Don't get discouraged, just if this is really what you want to do then take the time and learn what you need to, I started coding at age 14 and 3 years later I am taking CS courses at the local uni as due cradit courses and blasting through it. Some of the other students started around when I did but have been doing it 3+ years more. 

im going into computer information systems. its programming, but also business, integrating servers, things like that. its more then just straight up programming like computer science. 

In short, yes. I myself have a degree in Computer Engineering ( software with some hardware experience/knowledge ). A common misconception I found that people have is that you have to have a strong affinity in a specific field to be good at another one, or to even enjoy it. I've seen math whizzes fail at programming due to not understanding some of the concepts, while I've seen a theatre major do well.

Here's an example: In my first year at college/uni, a girl that was a theatre arts major was taking a beginning computer science class as an elective and for fun ( Note, she never took a comp sci class before or had taken high level math before ). She ended up doing better than 75% of the class, and same thing with the second in the series. After that, she decided to do a dual major, and now has a degree in computer science.

Now, is this to say you're going to kick ass and beat them? No. And the same goes for them. As far as competing, however, there's plenty of job opportunities out there for everyone, and I've also found that those who intentionally compete vs helping and working with others tend to either fall behind or change majors. 

Hope this helps, and good luck in your career choice!

I just seem to be naturally bad at it

math has been taught in so many ways, you just have to find the right way. 3000 plus years goes into what you learn today. it can be hard stuff. we have to skip a lot of things just to teach you something. some of the problems and the questions you have brilliant people spent their whole lives thinking about, making little headway. when you are taught something you are rarely give the whole picture this can lead to confusion and ambiguity in what we are trying to teach. always seek help, chances are your teacher can explain it differently, or you can ask how we can to know these things to add some context to what you are learning.    just a tip below. i'm not sure what maths you have taken. 

one of the best things to learn is graph sketching early on. just focus on the "root function" just like a root of a word, then you change things and see what happens. sinx vs 3sinx, we have almost the same thing just the curve is stretched out, by 3 places all over the whole thing.  

Beats most other degree programs in long term job security, especially when you look at what is going to happen to the services industry in the next 20-30 years.

Can't wait to see all the morons with art degrees homeless in the street because a robot took their job at starbucks. lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

In short, yes. I myself have a degree in Computer Engineering ( software with some hardware experience/knowledge ). A common misconception I found that people have is that you have to have a strong affinity in a specific field to be good at another one, or to even enjoy it. I've seen math whizzes fail at programming due to not understanding some of the concepts, while I've seen a theatre major do well.

Here's an example: In my first year at college/uni, a girl that was a theatre arts major was taking a beginning computer science class as an elective and for fun ( Note, she never took a comp sci class before or had taken high level math before ). She ended up doing better than 75% of the class, and same thing with the second in the series. After that, she decided to do a dual major, and now has a degree in computer science.

Now, is this to say you're going to kick ass and beat them? No. And the same goes for them. As far as competing, however, there's plenty of job opportunities out there for everyone, and I've also found that those who intentionally compete vs helping and working with others tend to either fall behind or change majors. 

Hope this helps, and good luck in your career choice!

How good was the theatre girl at math? Even though she never took high level math she could have still aced standard level

math has been taught in so many ways, you just have to find the right way. 3000 plus years goes into what you learn today. it can be hard stuff. we have to skip a lot of things just to teach you something. some of the problems and the questions you have brilliant people spent their whole lives thinking about, making little headway. when you are taught something you are rarely give the whole picture this can lead to confusion and ambiguity in what we are trying to teach. always seek help, chances are your teacher can explain it differently, or you can ask how we can to know these things to add some context to what you are learning.    just a tip below. i'm not sure what maths you have taken. 

one of the best things to learn is graph sketching early on. just focus on the "root function" just like a root of a word, then you change things and see what happens. sinx vs 3sinx, we have almost the same thing just the curve is stretched out, by 3 places all over the whole thing.  

ive done pretty much the equivalent of AP calc. didnt like it but didnt fail the course either

Calculus isn't very important for a CS degree, but probability and graph theory are.

Well I'm not very good at those either :(

Beats most other degree programs in long term job security, especially when you look at what is going to happen to the services industry in the next 20-30 years.

Can't wait to see all the morons with art degrees homeless in the street because a robot took their job at starbucks. lol

LOL yeah one of the reasons I wanna do computer science is because of the career prospects. I'm a pretty accomplished musician who plays 4 instruments, but I know better than to major in music and end up jobless :P Business Administration is another major Im thinking of, because it's so much easier than comp sci but still offers relatively good job security.