Bikes! Help required!

Albatross

Hi guys,

I need a bike, cheap too. Around 100$ if possible. I know my local Walmarts have them for around 70-100$ and I will get one if it comes down to it, but I wanted to know if there are other options out there for the price, what I should be looking for (I need it for getting around town, exercise and fun) or brands/companies I should avoid etc.

I don't want or need a 2000$+ bike. :P Anyways, I hear it matters so:

Height: 4'11

Daily Terrain: Mountains, road, rocks

please no pink

Thanks guys! :D

P.S

I do have an older bike, slightly rusted on the kick stand thing that I would use but the seat bar thing seems to be broken. Turns up or down upon any weight and the tires are flat.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Normal bikes (well actually, their tires) are not fit for rocky terrain.

Not sure if you have mountain bike like bikes available where you live for that price though..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Normal bikes (well actually, their tires) are not fit for rocky terrain.

Not sure if you have mountain bike like bikes available where you live for that price though..

Oh yea, we do have them! The bikes at my local Walmart are mountain bikes. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just make sure you get one with one of those built in shocks for the rear wheel, makes life so much more comfortable.

And avoid chrome at all costs, increases the likelihood of getting stolen, and it rusts.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh yea, we do have them! The bikes at my local Walmart are mountain bikes. :)

Then get one from Walmart and call it a job well(ish) done

something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Rainier-2002-bicycle-bike-tools-Prontool-Lifu-Parktool-TW-1-torque-/161644624850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2c53bd2

it jsut needs a seat and you Good to go 

this bike new is over $800.00

If you want a nice bike go used 

if you want a new bike go with a Schwinn from like target 

Ah man, I called a local cycle shop for recommendations. I don't know if I should feel lucky that I am recommended to get a kid's bike (cheaper) or ashamed...

Just make sure you get one with one of those built in shocks for the rear wheel, makes life so much more comfortable.

And avoid chrome at all costs, increases the likelihood of getting stolen, and it rusts.

Rear shock, got it! Just to be sure, the rear shock will make the bike look like this right? I'm used to just walking into Walmart and buying that way. haha

k2-_7b492ac5-443e-4a79-ad13-ddf3df0a17d8

They can try to sneak up on my deck and steal my bike, but they will have to get through my pitbulls to get to the locked storage shed.

Then get one from Walmart and call it a job well(ish) done

Seems like I might have too. All my local Walmart has are Roadmaster bikes, so I just wanted to know if there were other options for the price.

something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Rainier-2002-bicycle-bike-tools-Prontool-Lifu-Parktool-TW-1-torque-/161644624850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2c53bd2

it jsut needs a seat and you Good to go 

this bike new is over $800.00

If you want a nice bike go used 

if you want a new bike go with a Schwinn from like target 

I'll check out ebay...can't believe I didn't think of that!

The Schwinn bikes are a bit out of budget but used might not be bad. What should I look out for if I go used? Obviously rust but is there anything else? I wouldn't mind replacing the seat, as I will probably do that anyways.

Ah man, I called a local cycle shop for recommendations. I don't know if I should feel lucky that I am recommended to get a kid's bike (cheaper) or ashamed...

Rear shock, got it! Just to be sure, the rear shock will make the bike look like this right? I'm used to just walking into Walmart and buying that way. haha

k2-_7b492ac5-443e-4a79-ad13-ddf3df0a17d8

They can try to sneak up on my deck and steal my bike, but they will have to get through my pitbulls to get to the locked storage shed.

Seems like I might have too. All my local Walmart has are Roadmaster bikes, so I just wanted to know if there were other options for the price.

I'll check out ebay...can't believe I didn't think of that!

The Schwinn bikes are a bit out of budget but used might not be bad. What should I look out for if I go used? Obviously rust but is there anything else? I wouldn't mind replacing the seat, as I will probably do that anyways.

Thats a girls bike 

Thats a girls bike 

I'm a girl. :)

o I should Have looked lol my bad 

Haha, it is cool. :)

I guess I'm like Goku or something, but I can't see differences in the bikes for genders besides the obvious change in colors. Wish the female bikes had darker colors...

for 100 dollar best thing you can do is steal a bike

maybe someone has something laying around you can buy for a price like that

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Haha, it is cool. :)

I guess I'm like Goku or something, but I can't see differences in the bikes for genders besides the obvious change in colors. Wish the female bikes had darker colors...

at least for road bikes the most important part is the geometry, males have relative long upper bodies, so have handlebars further away

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Not really sure, I bought my mountain bike for $400 CAD 4 years ago and that was really cheap for a bike, so under $100 maybe a 13" wheel one with training wheels around here. Maybe look used, you'll get a better bike for than price, check it over and make sure to test ride it for 5-10 min at different speeds, check shocks, seat, chain, wheels, tires, ect. 

for 100 dollar best thing you can do is steal a bike

maybe someone has something laying around you can buy for a price like that

Ahaha, maybe...but Walmart has them for around 70-100$ so I was hoping other places might have similar prices. :)

Alright great LTT folk! Gonna buy this bike. :)

But in the mean time I would like to fix my older bike (was a gift so it means a lot to me). I already refilled the tires with my air compressor but the seat keeps tilting back or forward. What part do I need to fix this and where can I buy them online or if possible, in a store?

James-Franco-As-Saul-Silver-Thank-You-Re

Kids-bike-12-14-font-b-16-b-font-18-bugg

If you want something decent under $70 you should probably look for a used one.

To be honest. Not many decent bikes can be had for under $100. Steel frames makes them heavy, and even more weight if you decide to get one with front and rear shocks.

I personally recommend hardtails. In other words, shocks in front and without shocks in the back. Hence, hardtail.

But if $100 is all you've got, and you need something that will get you from point A to B. Then I guess pretty much anything goes.

I still however stand with that it should be aluminum frame, and a hardtail.

And for the moving seat question. A simple Allen wrench might do the trick if there is just something loose. Check under it for any loose nuts or screws.

If you want something decent under $70 you should probably look for a used one.

Ha ha. :(

Used bikes are cheap around here (45$) and I will definitely check them out but I would prefer new with a warranty so I had wanted it new.

To be honest. Not many decent bikes can be had for under $100. Steel frames makes them heavy, and even more weight if you decide to get one with front and rear shocks.

I personally recommend hardtails. In other words, shocks in front and without shocks in the back. Hence, hardtail.

But if $100 is all you've got, and you need something that will get you from point A to B. Then I guess pretty much anything goes.

I still however stand with that it should be aluminum frame, and a hardtail.

And for the moving seat question. A simple Allen wrench might do the trick if there is just something loose. Check under it for any loose nuts or screws.

I don't mind heavy bikes. I literally just need something to allow me to move through town faster than my feet. :)

I'll see if I can find any aluminum frame bikes before I make the final purchase. Also, as for the seat, I checked it out as you suggested. Everything under the seat seems firmly screwed in but the joint thing that attaches the seat to the steel pipe is rusted. I guess that's the problem?

It depends on what you mean by rocks. Do you mean like gravel for a path or rocks the size of a softball or bigger? 

A rear shock adds comfort, but also adds a decent amount of weight to a bike. If you are just talking about path gravel, then a rear shock isn't really necessary, but could be beneficial for comfort. 

Fix up your old bike if possible. If you take just the seat on the post to any half decent bike shop they should be able to help you get it to stay still. There should be a screw or a lever holding the seat post in place. A general tune up on a bike should be around $25-$50USD (50 being a deep cleaning as well) and would cover the labor involved in replacing the tubes in the tires, adjusting everything so gears shift smoothly, brakes work, and everything is straight. 

If your bike is in really rough condition and the walmart ones are crap (generally $200 plus for a decent bike) then look on craigslist (or equivalent) and see what is available. It is spring time, so some people might be selling online or there might be garage sales as well. 

It depends on what you mean by rocks. Do you mean like gravel for a path or rocks the size of a softball or bigger? 

A rear shock adds comfort, but also adds a decent amount of weight to a bike. If you are just talking about path gravel, then a rear shock isn't really necessary, but could be beneficial for comfort. 

Fix up your old bike if possible. If you take just the seat on the post to any half decent bike shop they should be able to help you get it to stay still. There should be a screw or a lever holding the seat post in place. A general tune up on a bike should be around $25-$50USD (50 being a deep cleaning as well) and would cover the labor involved in replacing the tubes in the tires, adjusting everything so gears shift smoothly, brakes work, and everything is straight. 

If your bike is in really rough condition and the walmart ones are crap (generally $200 plus for a decent bike) then look on craigslist (or equivalent) and see what is available. It is spring time, so some people might be selling online or there might be garage sales as well. 

Various. Gravel and (miniature) outcroppings, though nothing monstrous size. The terrain is real rocky here. I try to avoid the rockier paths but sometimes that isn't the option or I want to travel through for sight seeing/fun. Otherwise just gravel and road.

My old bike isn't so bad. Just the seat and just an inch of so of the chain is rusted, but I imagine they can be replaced. As for the bike shop, local shop doesn't do repairs on old bikes. I already asked. I will check out the seat again for that screw/lever you mentioned! I would be willing to fix them myself but I have no idea what the parts are called.

The Walmart bikes aren't really crappy. I had my old bike for nearly ten years, only the seat and chain ever became "problematic" but I did find a used bike on craigslist for 52$. Doesn't have rear shock and it is dirty, but otherwise it looked well maintained (no rust or dents etc). I'm gonna put an ad in the paper to see if anyone has a bike closer to my needs.

Various. Gravel and (miniature) outcroppings, though nothing monstrous size. The terrain is real rocky here. I try to avoid the rockier paths but sometimes that isn't the option or I want to travel through for sight seeing/fun. Otherwise just gravel and road.

My old bike isn't so bad. Just the seat and just an inch of so of the chain is rusted, but I imagine they can be replaced. As for the bike shop, local shop doesn't do repairs on old bikes. I already asked. I will check out the seat again for that screw/lever you mentioned! I would be willing to fix them myself but I have no idea what the parts are called.

The Walmart bikes aren't really crappy. I had my old bike for nearly ten years, only the seat and chain ever became "problematic" but I did find a used bike on craigslist for 52$. Doesn't have rear shock and it is dirty, but otherwise it looked well maintained (no rust or dents etc). I'm gonna put an ad in the paper to see if anyone has a bike closer to my needs.

So basically some light mountain biking and general riding around. I would probably make sure it at least has front shocks in the fork. 

As for your old seat, there should be something like this holding the mounting tube in the bike. 

http://www.montaguebikes.com/assets/images/ownermanual/quick-release-seat.jpg

Or it could just be a screw going through the tube. A bike place would be able to help you get the seat mounted to the tube correctly or put a new seat on. Check sporting goods stores for bike repair. They are generally over priced, but Dicks Sporting Goods stores usually have bike service. 

Replacing the chain on a bike is fairly easy as well. Take the old one off (usually there is a master link where it comes apart) and buy one of the same length. I just replaced one on a friends bike last week. Make sure to take pictures of how the chain was routed before taking it off. 

My first mountain bike was a genesis from Walmart. It was somewhere around the $220 range. It held up to my 140lb body and the mountain biking trails that I took it on. It is fairly heavy for a basic mountain bike, and the cheapo front disk break doesn't work (I have repaired it many times, I recently switched it to a standard clamping brake). I am actually upgrading to a Specialized Rockhopper as soon as I get home for the summer. 

There are really good videos on youtube of how to do almost any sort of maintenance/repair to a bike. Doing it yourself can be frustrating at first, but after you successfully complete a repair and ride it around you get a sense of accomplishment . 

I've bought a bike from target, they actually know how to assemble bikes unlike Walmart.

Things to look for or test.

Lift the front and rear wheel up and spin the wheel and make sure there is not rub on the wheels from the brakes after pressing the brakes. This is an important check.

Also see if you can get on the bike or lift up the rear tire and shift through all the gears. The gears can sometimes be unaligned and the wire might be too loose and the gears might not shift.

Just a few things to look for.

Edit: I saw your last post, basically everything on a bike is replaceable and repairable.

I used to work for Target. Many stores don't even have a bike builder. They just send someone mildly handy to the back to build bikes. Some stores actually have a bike builder position. many times the SFT (maintenance person) builds the bikes.

Walmart usually has a bike builder or has the maintenance person build bikes. 

Bikes really aren't all that hard to build or repair as long as you have the tools to do it.