General thoughts on Vessel?

So what is everyone's general opinion of Vessel?

Do you like/dislike the look, content, concept, back end implementation, UI implementation?

My general thoughts so far are mixed. I suppose I am quite critical at the moment because it has some issues that I don't like but the main reason so far; it’s kind of boring. I understand that it is a new platform and it requires time to grow but it is going to have to grow a butt tonne in the next year because in its current state it is nowhere near ready for me to throw my money down. Not even close!

Little things that need sorting I feel are achievable. Things like the comment system (400 character limit has got to go). It could do with a better UI for the comments system too (I don't like the YT implementation either). Adding features to the player is required (easy ways to pause and FW/RW),  more quality options etc.

My main issue so far is the content. There simply isn't enough, and what is there is boring (to me). There are far too little categories at the moment (2/20 interest me) and many of the channels have very little content. This is its biggest issue for its survival imo. Vessel relies on poaching content creators from YT. Therefore they are always lagging in the sense of the 'new and exciting'. I have seen very little in terms of educational channels which is something I am very interested in. The science and tech is a bit of a joke as well.

So to sum up, I will keep going back for the odd look as it would be cool if it was done right, but for the time being I will still be watching almost all of my content on YT (even LTT for the time being).

What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

Reactions so far: Very few people have complained about the content (well less than I would have expected). It is my biggest issue. Most common issues raised are the lack of mobile app support (for android) and the reduction in quality compared to YT. Maybe people haven't used Vessel enough to discover the lack of content (imo) due to the two majority technical issues raised.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I can tl;dr: my experience with it.

tl;dr: mobile app or bust.

Besides watching the two videos that interested me that weren't on Youtube yet (Data server + DIY Illumination, which was actually on Youtube already), I've yet to even go back to the site. The simple fact they don't have a mobile app has made it "meh" at best; it has yet to reengage me since a large sum of my media consumption is done on my phone.

Actually that is something I never thought about (because I'm a desktop user). Good point. They would really want to get on that.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Actually that is something I never thought about (because I'm a desktop user). Good point. They would really want to get on that.

The amount of media I consume is absurd to the point where it's 95% of the reason I purchased my current, larger phone. (Nexus 4 > 5 > 6, and I only went on wanting more and more screen space, as time went on. Doubt I'll go past the 6" though.)

Edit: I've used ~10GB of data on mobile networks since the 12th of March. Resets on the 11th. Wifi is another 17.11GB, and I don't even know how much my desktop uses.

It's a alright idea but I don't think it will put YouTube out of business by any means. It has a good layout to it, or at least the mobile app does, but it can be a little confusing. Over all I think it's good but I don't think I'll be using it as often as I use YouTube

Good concept. Execution still needs work, but it's only a few days old and loaded with money so should get on top of those issues relatively quickly.

Besides watching the two videos that interested me that weren't on Youtube yet (Data server + DIY Illumination, which was actually on Youtube already), I've yet to even go back to the site. The simple fact they don't have a mobile app has made it "meh" at best; it has yet to reengage me since a large sum of my media consumption is done on my phone.

they have a mobile app on iOS

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

I really dont mind it, I dont hate it like some people are saying. :-)

History_Speeches_6001_Titanic_Survivor_E

As long as it doesn't sink like this Vessel I will continue to like its layout and ease of use. Just give Android an app though.

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

It's a alright idea but I don't think it will put YouTube out of business by any means. It has a good layout to it, or at least the mobile app does, but it can be a little confusing. Over all I think it's good but I don't think I'll be using it as often as I use YouTube

Will you be using it at all? Thats the real question.

I think it's great, it's got LTT, nerdist, minute physics, veritasium, rhett and link, unbox therapy all of which are my most viewed youtube channels. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

How do people feel about the content already on there? For me, that is the biggest issue. Nowhere near enough to keep me going back (let alone pay for it).

Would others agree/disagree?

they have a mobile app on iOS

If only more people used iOS than compared to Android. :|

Top-5-operating-systems-2013.jpg

How do people feel about the content already on there? For me, that is the biggest issue. Nowhere near enough to keep me going back (let alone pay for it).

Would others agree/disagree?

I found the only channel I actively wanted to use was LTT's and maybe UnboxTherapy. Disappointing that they forced me into following other people just to get past the sign up or whatever.

Aesthetically I think it is drastically better than YouTube.  The interface is equally as intuitive, but the overall feel of the service crisper and more refined.  If a few more of my favorite content providers make the switch I could easily see myself eliminating YouTube as a daily go-to, instead only using it for random searches or how-to videos.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

No Android app, no proper video quality selection, no Android app, an iOS app and no Android app.

Im gonna call it now when the android app arives it is going to be shit.

It's good, but I wish there was a mobile app, and the ability to cast to Chromecast

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

yep +1. needs an app

CPU: Intel i7-4770K Overclocked to 4.5GHZ GPU: Asus GTX 970 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte D3H-Z97 RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Storage: 2 X SanDisk 240GB SSDs in RAID 0, 128GB Crucial SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD External HDD OS: Windows 10 Professional

If only more people used iOS than compared to Android. :|

Top-5-operating-systems-2013.jpg

I found the only channel I actively wanted to use was LTT's and maybe UnboxTherapy. Disappointing that they forced me into following other people just to get past the sign up or whatever.

I know that more people use android i just didn't want people reading this that they have no mobile app what so ever, and since it is on iOS now it is most likely on its way to android 

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

I'd agree with this. Found the exact same myself.

im mainly a desktop user but early or late at night i dont want to have to get up and walk 3 feet to the computer i rather watch on my iPad or phone

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

It looks good. It needs more video quality options - HD or Auto, what's that supposed to mean? I also agree that it needs an Android app. >50% of my YouTube viewing is on my Android Phone. It needs a better way to show new content (like My Subscriptions on YouTube, except that that isn't very good either as I'm sure many know).

Good start, but a long way ahead to improve. I think most importantly it needs to listen to viewers, unlike YouTube, which just does whatever the f*ck it wants to.

Will you be using it at all? Thats the real question.

I'll probably be using it once in a while but I think I'll use YouTube more often then vessel

Other than the look, it's junk.  It's like all the annoying YouTubers that should be avoided got together and made you pay a subscription to see their content.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I want LTT to still have sponsor ads, some of them became products I use.