General thoughts on Vessel?

As of right now it's not even close to being en par with youtube. Lower quality, less quality options, no 60fps that I know of (although for most ltt videos that's a non-issue), no mobile app.

BUT. If they improve on that there are a few things that I like about it, starting with the lack of a google+ integration. If it stays as it is I don't think I'll pay for a subscription next year. If it gets at least on par with youtube with video quality however I'll most certainly consider it thoroughly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As of right now it's not even close to being en par with youtube. Lower quality, less quality options, no 60fps that I know of (although for most ltt videos that's a non-issue), no mobile app.

BUT. If they improve on that there are a few things that I like about it, starting with the lack of a google+ integration. If it stays as it is I don't think I'll pay for a subscription next year. If it gets at least on par with youtube with video quality however I'll most certainly consider it thoroughly.

Does that mean you are happy to pay for the content that is currently available? All of your issues are technical issues? How many people do you actually follow on it?

So far I have LTT, Veritasium and a load of news channels (that upload pretty much f**k all). Thats it!

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Well, it is new and very overwhelming at this point. I am trying to figure it out properly and I am aware that it will require some time and fiddling around to get used to.

The comment system does indeed feel lacking. As if something is holding people back to have a proper discussion, if needs be. 

Also, I couldn't "quickly" find my page where all my "favorites" go to. Edit: I mean, I still haven't found it. Searching all over the place for it.

Then we have the bombardment of other channel & shows being thrown in my face while I am happy with the minimum of it and with what I currently have. It feels like it is force feeding me "alternatives" no matter what turn I take.

That's about it for now. Will come back once I discover that place a bit more.

Does that mean you are happy to pay for the content that is currently available? All of your issues are technical issues? How many people do you actually follow on it?

So far I have LTT, Veritasium and a load of news channels (that upload pretty much f**k all). Thats it!

The content for me would not be a big incentive because frankly I only watched videos from Linus on it. There are no other youtubers I actively follow that are on there yet. So no, I would not pay for content alone (Linus eventually uploads to youtube anyway). I'm more interested in the chance to support LTT without needing to watch ads and sell my soul out to google.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The content for me would not be a big incentive because frankly I only watched videos from Linus on it. There are no other youtubers I actively follow that are on there yet. So no, I would not pay for content alone (Linus eventually uploads to youtube anyway). I'm more interested in the chance to support LTT without needing to watch ads and sell my soul out to google.

If you really just want to support Linus, use adblock and donate 36 bucks a year to the forum. Jesus if that is your only reason to pay for Vessel; you really are going an awkward way about supporting LTT. I doubt Linus would see anywhere even close to 10% of that fee ($3.60).

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

If you really just want to support Linus, use adblock and donate 36 bucks a year to the forum. Jesus if that is your only reason to pay for Vessel; you really are going an awkward way about supporting LTT. I doubt Linus would see anywhere even close to 10% of that fee ($3.60).

...may I ask why you care? I could donate the money directly but I wouldn't get to see the videos earlier. Besides, right now I haven't paid a penny yet. What happens a year from now has nothing to do with what I can or can't do right this instant. Right now I can't donate anything, for multiple reasons.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haven't read through this whole thread yet, but most of what has been said has already been addressed in the official feedback/FAQ thread (http://bit.ly/linusfeedback), and has been passed on to Vessel. They have a lot of expansion/improvement plans coming up, from what they've told me at least.

i've just tried vessel with the free account and watched one video.

- first of all the quality suxx compared to youtube

- while watching cpu usage is significant higher than watching youtube (laptop gets hotter => fannoise louder)

- the site is utterly slow

in the current state vessel isn't useable for me and i would never ever pay for it!

Pros: Aesthetics of the site, no ads that I have come across

Cons: No Android app, not much content available as of late  

Haven't read through this whole thread yet, but most of what has been said has already been addressed in the official feedback/FAQ thread (http://bit.ly/linusfeedback), and has been passed on to Vessel. They have a lot of expansion/improvement plans coming up, from what they've told me at least.

Anything in terms of content?

Very few people here have actually talked about whats available so far. Again thats my biggest issue. Any news from your end about updating content?

For my opinion on Vessel as a whole, see my profile picture.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I'm enjoying the fact that i can watch videos early but thats all really haven't seen any problems with it and its pretty fluent but i would like to see a mobile app soon 

I think it is great!

I have always thought of the idea that youtube could support using ads OR the user pays a sub so no ads are present and this is kinda that. One problem I find is that quite a bit of their audiance is under the age of 18 which makes online payment a bit werid, I know people below the age of 18 have cards and shiz but below the age of 13 or 14 people tend not to.

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

It definitely feels weird, having a new consumer platform for videos. I like the clean minimalist design as well as the live tiles. But it's missing a tab for just the people you follow, like there isn't a way for me to easily see what new content has come up from the people I follow with making a couple of clicks. For some reason (back me up on this if anyone else feels the same way) the Theme feels a little bit like MySpace, possibly an implementation to customize your own theme would be cool.

P.S. Does anyone know what Resolution the HD is on Vessel? Because LTT uploads in 4K. Maybe it's not coming till later? 

It looks nice, but the Vessel site loads very slow on this side of the world (Eastern Europe) even if I have a good internet connection (1gb/s - FO directly to my PC http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4241368094while uploading to dropbox and seeding on torrent). I will use that site only for "Linus tech tips"! Hope in the near future that they will have an android app!

Quality of videos is lower than youtube. Not all buttons are working on all browsers. (not on safari mac). And since I don't live in North America I don't have a credit card so can't use the darn service. Also no mobile site/app. 

The competition is good though YouTube is having almost a monopoly on non-live video. I hope vessel can improve quick enough with all the you tubers that are posting there.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

first post. and maybe a noobie question:

how do I access vessel through kodi for my htpc?

Anything in terms of content?

Very few people here have actually talked about whats available so far. Again thats my biggest issue. Any news from your end about updating content?

They have something like 160 creators so far that they have hand-picked. I'm sure there will be expansion, but their goal isn't to have everyone - just the best curated content from each vertical.

Hey LMG (Nick?), could you forward some of this stuff to Vessel? IMO, community interaction is extremely important!

Hey, Nick from LTT has been sending me helpful notes from the group, but I figured I'd jump in too. I'll do my best to read all the comments and provide information as I can. We're a small team over here at Vessel and we really appreciate the support from the LTT folks. Everyone has their opinion, and I respect that. I'm just here to listen and learn. Will do my best to chime in when I can.

Thanks!

Lonn

post #1. :)

Tech/Anime/DOTA n00b/Ready Player One was an awesome book/Reading The Martian

full disclosure: I work at Vessel. I'm here to listen and learn.

Same as a few other people I think that the video quality needs to be looked at, I have no idea what auto, off, and on means. An currently I am almost certain that it isn't even 1080p, I think they are using the cheap HD=720p trick. I want quality options, 60fps, and 4K support. These things are important in the scheme of things.

Garbage, I hope it fails with in then next year. Linus gave use 1 year free, I dont wanna pay to see videos. 

Not really digging Vessel, it splits Linus' audience and prioritizes the ones who are willing to pay to watch early (I know it's free for the time being).

And on top of that Vessel doesn't seem to be very well polished.

Also this is my first post, I'm Tundra

:)