Why the GTX 960 isn't bad

AlexWJD

-snip-

...I think that would seal it as the best sweet spot card. 

Sweet spot for High/Ultra quality 1080p gaming for 2014-2015 games that is.

Man you sure went through a lot of trouble to justify the purchase. I would have done it too if I wasn't this lazy.

It's not a bad card, considering the launching price. I thought it was underwhelming when it launched because I, like most people, expect it to be GTX 770 level of performance but it wasn't. I went through all those review rate it as so-so and people saying bad things about it, yet I bought one because after all that, and careful consideration it still gives the best value (in my country)

Closest competition would be a sapphire dual x 280x, but then over the lifetime of the card, cost of electricity to power the card plus air conditioning to remove heat from room would make it much more expensive (living in the tropics, 80F-98-F everyday).

I see. Sorry man, bit slow sometimes. As for upgrading, It could be viable. The 960 does better than the 760 and 670, and is a bit under or over the 770, depending whom you ask and what you look at. The upgrade could be there if you sold your old card and went for the 960. But that point is mostly mute. I think the 960 was made as an upgrade for more of the lower-tier cards, like the 660, 580, 750, and so forth. I personally upgraded from a GTX 660 to a GTX 960 and noticed 50-60% improvement, and I sold my 660 to pay for the 960, making it so I only spent about $80 to upgrade. I am extremely happy. Now If the GTX 960 went down in price $10-20 or so, then I think that would seal it as the best sweet spot card. 

If you can sell your old card for a reasonable price, then yes, that always makes upgrading a viable option. I would sell my GTX 770 and upgrade to a 970 if i could find the right buyer. I am personally waiting to see if a vendor will make an ITX 980, as it has the same TDP as the 670, and they made an ITX 670 years ago. If they would make one, i would sell my 770 and go 980 in a heart beat.

With the right deal (combo, free shipping, rebates) the 960 is a decent mid-range gaming card for its price. as long as you are not running a ton of AA, or a resolution higher than 1080p/1440p, it should make for an enjoyable experience on most current games. I have no idea what it will do in the future, but i do know that my older cards still get the job done on some modern games, so i can see the 960  having some staying power, atleast long enough for people to upgrade the rest of their systems before moving up to the high-end graphics solutions.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Since 1080 is the market for this card i think 2 GB is a good to go. Even my old 680 runs amazingly beautiful on my secondary rig while playing at 1080p

• 4 weeks later...

If you can sell your old card for a reasonable price, then yes, that always makes upgrading a viable option. I would sell my GTX 770 and upgrade to a 970 if i could find the right buyer. I am personally waiting to see if a vendor will make an ITX 980, as it has the same TDP as the 670, and they made an ITX 670 years ago. If they would make one, i would sell my 770 and go 980 in a heart beat.

With the right deal (combo, free shipping, rebates) the 960 is a decent mid-range gaming card for its price. as long as you are not running a ton of AA, or a resolution higher than 1080p/1440p, it should make for an enjoyable experience on most current games. I have no idea what it will do in the future, but i do know that my older cards still get the job done on some modern games, so i can see the 960  having some staying power, atleast long enough for people to upgrade the rest of their systems before moving up to the high-end graphics solutions.

It wont have the staying power of the 7950 thats 3 years old and most people even consider it a better option than the brand new gtx 960 .

Thats speaks for itself , i bet 100 mangoes that this card wont have that kind of staying power.