*facepalm* Apparently 3 monitor surround is cheating

So, I made a thread a while back, here and on the Tek Syndicate forums asking some questions about triple monitor surround gaming, and a single 970.

Someone replied to me with a warning to be careful, because some people have been threatened with bans, because using three monitors and having a wider FOV, is apparently cheating....somehow.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2530206

This kind of idiocy, makes my head hurt. The human FOV is WAY more than what a single monitor provides, even if you go on a game like BF4 and increase the FOV to as much as it can possibly be. Nevermind people who get physically ill from tiny FOV's. Not to mention the question of "how the fuck can they tell?" Seriously, people using controllers might as well call for bans of anything using a keyboard and mouse, because of the increased reaction time/speed, and accuracy that they offer.

I just....ugh, anyone who complains about such a thing, needs to go back to console, or grow up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

BF4 and increase the FOV to as much as it can possibly be.

That's me in every game that can have FOV slider. Every. Single. Game.

I think TB was arguing about FOV sliders on twitter today. Made me giggle.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

From what ive heard competative FPS games are actually worse on 3 monitor setups.....

Seeing stuff is over rated...

How does surround work again? Does it actually give you and advantage or does it just stretch out the 120 fov?

Depends on the game, and most games have a fix for less stretch

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

How does surround work again? Does it actually give you and advantage or does it just stretch out the 120 fov?

It actually gives you a larger FOV when done right, not just a bigger image, you gain some peripheral vision.

It actually gives you a larger FOV when done right, not just a bigger image, you gain some peripheral vision.

Ah...

Eh, whatever... There's a lot more things that are way more op than a surround setup.

what can u say or do to make this go away? Nothing that's what..besides having more FOV is as much a bane as it is a boon...as the player has to keep track of more area than what he would have to otherwise...

Ah...

Eh, whatever... There's a lot more things that are way more op than a surround setup.

Lol by the same logic, having surround sound should be banned, because you can hear more than others.

im not even going to touch the link but ima assume this. 

''OH MY GOD

IF YOU CAN DO 120 FOV ON ONE MONITOR

THAT MEANS

IF YOU PLAY ON THREE MONITORS

YOU CAN SEE 360 FOV

THATS CHEETING

THATS CHEETING

THATS CHEETING

BAN THEM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT AND SUCK AT GEAMZ BAN THEM BAN THEM BAN THEM''

am i close?

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

If the game supports it properly, you get the normal fov a single screen player would AND you get more vision on the sides. It's like adding windows.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

im not even going to touch the link but ima assume this. 

''OH MY GOD

IF YOU CAN DO 120 FOV ON ONE MONITOR

THAT MEANS

IF YOU PLAY ON THREE MONITORS

YOU CAN SEE 360 FOV

THATS CHEETING

THATS CHEETING

THATS CHEETING

BAN THEM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT AND SUCK AT GEAMZ BAN THEM BAN THEM BAN THEM''

am i close?

Close. They argue that "you can see more than you are supposed to!" which isn't actually true.....since bf4 offers support for it...so....you are completely capable and meant to see more, if you can.

Edit: *Force persuade* you will send me your drummer

Ah...

and honestly peripheral vision is useless unless youfocus on it, usually when you're looking at your reticle (us PROs call it the pointy lines, get it rite newbz) and stuff you unconciously go tunnel vision, sure you still see all that stuff around you but do you notice it other than feeling more immersed? no. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I love how the OP is banned.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I'm pretty sure lol blocks dual or triple monitor setups because they view it has unfair rolf 

I'm also pretty sure the op from the spuf thread was talking about a third party plugin but it then turned into a shitfest about resolutions, monitors and aspect ratios

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but you are definitely giving yourself an advantage with your hardware. Games like DOTA 2 intentionally combat this by locking the camera and UI elements so that no player will gain an edge due to superior hardware.

and honestly peripheral vision is useless unless youfocus on it, usually when you're looking at your reticle (us PROs call it the pointy lines, get it rite newbz) and stuff you unconciously go tunnel vision, sure you still see all that stuff around you but do you notice it other than feeling more immersed? no. 

Best chance you have, is noticing movement, which in most maps on battlfield, it like noticing that you have a gun...movement EVERYWHERE

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but you are definitely giving yourself an advantage with your hardware. Games like DOTA 2 intentionally combat this by locking the camera and UI elements so that no player will gain an edge due to superior hardware.

Perhaps those players should play those games on console then....oh wait

And just to point out, I have a single monitor, and the idea of someone else having 3 (which I hope to have soon) doesn't bother me in the least.

Bezels LOL!  **** surround gaming!

debezel the monitors, B) 

i completely agree on bezels

but surround gaming is sooo nice... especially on 3x3 way 21:9 9 tile surround. (never done before but i did some math and me and mah freind james cut out some cardboard and stuff, did some tests, its pretty much the best of all surround ideas, its basically just a really big 21:9 setup. 

-Jim Hensen

what can u say or do to make this go away? Nothing that's what..besides having more FOV is as much a bane as it is a boon...as the player has to keep track of more area than what he would have to otherwise...

Well I love playing BF4 at max FOV. It's amazing. I like the peripheral vision it gives me.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Best chance you have, is noticing movement, which in most maps on battlfield, it like noticing that you have a gun...movement EVERYWHERE

Perhaps those players should play those games on console then....oh wait

And just to point out, I have a single monitor, and the idea of someone else having 3 (which I hope to have soon) doesn't bother me in the least.

true, and in games like first person shooters, its better to keep moving anyway. 

you think you're gonna see that stretched ass player model around the corner when you're running? hell no. 

damnit now i wanna play cave story in surround. 

-Jim Hensen

i have 6 monitors and two TVs...

one is on a laptop one is 4:3 one is dead and the two TVs i have at my freinds house for our studio. 

so essentially i have one. because i keep one for my consoles, one in portriat, and one as my monitor i just throw youube/twitch/podcats on. 

-Jim Hensen