Galaxy S6 less bloatware then even vanilla Android phones.

Teehee

How? From what I have seen, the M9 is better in many ways. Thinner, lighter, yet from what I've heard it feels better in the hand and is less slippery.

Better rear camera but still not the best camera on a smart phone and the 4 ultra pixel camera went on the front which should take good selfies.

Screen is about the same but will save battery by not going 1440p

Dual front speakers improved by adding Dolby technology

Has a larger battery. 2850mAh vs 2600mAh

Has 3gb or ram vs 2gb on m8

Has the snapdragon 810 which is faster.

It also still supports micro SD card unlike the GS6

Has newer HTC sense 7.0 and newest android OS from the start.

So, how is it worse?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M9,HTC-One-M8/phones/9003,8242

screen is worse. battery life is worse. camera is trash for a flagship.  some reviews say that the m8 takes better pictures(and it does in low light,but overall).it heats up while browsing the web.

screen is worse. battery life is worse. camera is trash for a flagship.  some reviews say that the m8 takes better pictures(and it does in low light,but overall).it heats up while browsing the web.

HTC released an update which changes the camera. I am going to wait for some tests using the new firmware before saying the camera is trash.

I really wish someone would just make this smartphone camera:

Camera - I have been crying for OIS to be a standard ever since the Nexus 5 got it. If a 350 dollar phone can afford it then an 800 dollar (or whatever the M9 costs) can afford it too. They went overboard with the resolution as well. If I could choose then I would go for the same sensor size but ~13MP. On a 1/2.6" sensor that would end up being a pixel size of 1.64µm. That's a bigger pixel size than the iPhone 6. Throw in OIS and an F/1.9 lens (like the S6) and you will have a fantastic low light camera, with more than enough resolution to get really sharp images in bright light as well.

How? From what I have seen, the M9 is better in many ways. Thinner, lighter, yet from what I've heard it feels better in the hand and is less slippery.

Better rear camera but still not the best camera on a smart phone and the 4 ultra pixel camera went on the front which should take good selfies.

Screen is about the same but will save battery by not going 1440p

Dual front speakers improved by adding Dolby technology

Has a larger battery. 2850mAh vs 2600mAh

Has 3gb or ram vs 2gb on m8

Has the snapdragon 810 which is faster.

It also still supports micro SD card unlike the GS6

Has newer HTC sense 7.0 and newest android OS from the start.

So, how is it worse?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M9,HTC-One-M8/phones/9003,8242

I'm a huge HTC fan and was really excited for the M9 because I was reading the specs how they made sense just like you're doing. Unfortunately, now that official reviews are out (even with the newest software update) the M9 battery is quite a lot worse than the M8 and the CPU has been underclocked from 2.0Ghz to 1.5Ghz (which is why the more recent benchmark scores have fallen). The camera is decent but can be pretty noisy even in ideal circumstances. As for the screen, the colour gamut and delta e are both worse than the M8. I wanted an M9 really bad (coming from M7) but after reading all this I'm thinking of doing something I never thought I'd do..... going to Samsung :/ I guess we'll have to wait for MKBHD's review to get a more unbiased and indepth opinion than most.

I guess we'll have to wait for MKBHD's review to get a more unbiased and indepth opinion than most.

MKBHD is an HTC fanboy so he will probably say the M9 is awesome.

If you want an unbiased and in-depth review then check out Anandtech.

You are really grasping at straws if you have to bring up it being 0.26mm thinner and 3 grams lighter. The difference is so small that an M9 with a phantom glass screen protector will be heavier and thicker than the M8 without.

The screen is not the same. I can't believe people on a tech forum like this still don't understand that there is more to a screen that just resolution and size.

I want you to explain what exactly the Dolby technology HTC has added does, and why it makes it better. I know what it does, and right now you remind me a lot of the people going "it has blast processing" back in the 90's.

and HTC tried to save a few dollars on each phone so they removed the panel self refresh, which means the battery life is worse than the M8 despite having a bigger battery. It doesn't matter if the battery is 1,000mAh or 10,000mAh if the battery life is still worse.

But we are comparing it to the M8, not the S6, so it's kind of irrelevant.

The M8 will get Sense 7 as well.

HTC released an update which changes the camera. I am going to wait for some tests using the new firmware before saying the camera is trash.

I really wish someone would just make this smartphone camera:

I'm a huge HTC fan and was really excited for the M9 because I was reading the specs how they made sense just like you're doing. Unfortunately, now that official reviews are out (even with the newest software update) the M9 battery is quite a lot worse than the M8 and the CPU has been underclocked from 2.0Ghz to 1.5Ghz (which is why the more recent benchmark scores have fallen). The camera is decent but can be pretty noisy even in ideal circumstances. As for the screen, the colour gamut and delta e are both worse than the M8. I wanted an M9 really bad (coming from M7) but after reading all this I'm thinking of doing something I never thought I'd do..... going to Samsung :/ I guess we'll have to wait for MKBHD's review to get a more unbiased and indepth opinion than most.

Yes, its only slightly thinner and lighter. That wasn't the main point. Not only is it a little bit lighter and thinner but HTC made the M9 better to hold AND a little less slippery. This is what I've heard from multiple reviewers.

You said I was grasping at straws @LAwLz yet you just said "If the M9 had a screen protector and the M8 didn't the M9 would be heavier and thicker" well who is actually grasping at straws? Not me, I merely stated facts and opinions of multiple reviewers.

Yes, the screen is NOT the same. I know this. I said "Screen is about the same" because from every reviewer I've seen they said it looks similar to the M8. It is a different screen type yes but the differences are narrow. It is better and worse in specific areas compared to the M8. I mentioned 1440p simply because there is a debate on whether it should be the new standard in flagship phones. I say no, at least not now. From reviewer they are saying that just daily use and just simply looking at it, it looks similar to the m8.

The speakers have the software enhancement of HTC's Boomsound with Dolby digital surround sound. It is merely a software enhancement. I personally have enjoyed Dolby enhancements when I have turned them on in devices. These software enhancements can be a gimmick but I find Dolby not to be. The speakers probably sound pretty much the same as well. It is just an enhancement that should make it better. IDK, I haven't actually heard it.

You guys are correct. While the battery is larger, reviewers say that the M9 seems to last about as long as M8 and probably better or worse in certain specific situations. According to phonearena the M9 gets 21.7 hours of talk time and 16.8 days of stand-by time while the M8 gets 20 hours of talk time and 20.7 days of stand-by time. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M9,HTC-One-M8/phones/9003,8242

The camera, while is 20mp and can do higher resolution which was a major complaint about the m8 camera, it seems to still suffer from a lot of bad qualities such as bad exposure and noise. That's why i said it's better but still not the best camera on a smart phone. It really suffers in areas. Galaxy, Xperia, Iphone 6, and Nokia are DEF way above in camera tech for smart phones on flagship phones. In some ways it's better then M8 but others it's not better then that camera. So, don't buy this phone if you want a good camera.

Heating issues are over exaggerated. While it may feel a bit warmer then some other phones it's not a stove top some people have suggested, especially in real world situations.  http://pocketnow.com/2015/03/24/one-m9-overheating

The 810 processor is definitely faster then the 801. Every reviewer has said that they notice how quicker apps load and how snappier the M9 is compared to it's predecessor.

The HTC sense 7 is coming to the M8 but I was just saying how the M9 will come with it from the start and have the latest android.

I'm not disagreeing with your complaints guys, I just think you are over exaggerating at the differences. Just because there are a few things that don't test as well like some aspects of the screen doesn't mean it's going to be worse overall. To me, it seems like they made some of it better while others almost the same. I would say for a new phone, this will be a great phone and def an upgrade compared to the M7. Very minor upgrade from the M8.

Yes, its only slightly thinner and lighter. That wasn't the main point. Not only is it a little bit lighter and thinner but HTC made the M9 better to hold AND a little less slippery. This is what I've heard from multiple reviewers.

You said I was grasping at straws @LAwLz yet you just said "If the M9 had a screen protector and the M8 didn't the M9 would be heavier and thicker" well who is actually grasping at straws? Not me, I merely stated facts and opinions of multiple reviewers.

That's not what grasping at straws is... I was illustrating how very small the difference is by saying a screen protector adds more thickness and weight than the difference between the M8 and M9. I don't think 3 grams lighter is worth mentioning because it is so insignificant.

Yes, the screen is NOT the same. I know this. I said "Screen is about the same" because from every reviewer I've seen they said it looks similar to the M8. It is a different screen type yes but the differences are narrow. It is better and worse in specific areas compared to the M8. I mentioned 1440p simply because there is a debate on whether it should be the new standard in flagship phones. I say no, at least not now. From reviewer they are saying that just daily use and just simply looking at it, it looks similar to the m8.

Most reviewers have no idea what they are talking about. The screen is not even close to being the same.

Brightness:

M8 - 497 nits

M9 - 341 nits

Gray scale DeltaE:

M8 - 5.2

M9 - 7.4

White point temperature:

M8 - 7314

M9 - 8493

Saturation DeltaE:

M8 - 3.9

M9 - 6.2

Gamut accuracy in DeltaE:

M8 - 3.9

M8 - 6.4

Then again... Lots of reviewers said the Galaxy S 4 had a good screen but that was atrocious as well. I think most reviewers simply don't know what a screen should look like. They have looked at so much shit their eyes must have been permanently damaged.

The M8's screen was pretty mediocre to begin with, but with this big step backwards it's just pathetic.

The speakers have the software enhancement of HTC's Boomsound with Dolby digital surround sound. It is merely a software enhancement. I personally have enjoyed Dolby enhancements when I have turned them on in devices. These software enhancements can be a gimmick but I find Dolby not to be. The speakers probably sound pretty much the same as well. It is just an enhancement that should make it better. IDK, I haven't actually heard it.

Okay I said something wrong before. I don't know what the Dolby audio improvements are in the M9. I thought it was their downmixing to 2.1 but I can't actually find anything about it. The only thing HTC says on their website is "HTC BoomSound™ with Dolby Audio™" and that it delivers "optimized sound".

Could you please tell me what Dolby has provided HTC with? I am genuinely curious. If it just is downmixing then it's just a marketing term HTC paid to use.

You guys are correct. While the battery is larger, reviewers say that the M9 seems to last about as long as M8 and probably better or worse in certain specific situations. According to phonearena the M9 gets 21.7 hours of talk time and 16.8 days of stand-by time while the M8 gets 20 hours of talk time and 20.7 days of stand-by time. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M9,HTC-One-M8/phones/9003,8242

Of course the M9 will get better talk time and stand-by time. I have kept telling you that HTC cut corners and removed the panel self refresh. The screen on time is much much worse. Personally I like GSMArena when it comes to battery tests. They run a very mixed scenario of music playing, calling, video watching and standby for their "endurance rating".

HTC m8 - 77 hours

HTC m9 - 62 hours

Anandtech showed similar drops in their web browsing test as well.

Please don't sweeten the truth HTC when they are clearing cutting corners which makes the device a lot worse than it could have been.

Heating issues are over exaggerated. While it may feel a bit warmer then some other phones it's not a stove top some people have suggested, especially in real world situations.  http://pocketnow.com/2015/03/24/one-m9-overheating

The heating issue is not over exaggerated. The device throttles a ton in order to keep chassis temperatures tolerable. The chip is rated for 2GHz but struggled to go beyond 1.6GHz before the new update which makes it throttle even more (to keep chassis temperature down). The Snapdragon 810 kicks out a ton of heat and has to throttle because of it. PocketNow doesn't even mention throttling in their article and I wouldn't be surprised if those clueless morons don't know what it is.

The 810 processor is definitely faster then the 801. Every reviewer has said that they notice how quicker apps load and how snappier the M9 is compared to it's predecessor.

Or maybe the quicker load times is because they are now using ART...? Because of the move to ART, load times are much less reliant on processor speed. The M8 is still using Dalvik and has to compile the apps when you launch them. There is also a possibility that the M9 keeps apps in cache for longer because it has more RAM.

I'm not disagreeing with your complaints guys, I just think you are over exaggerating at the differences. Just because there are a few things that don't test as well like some aspects of the screen doesn't mean it's going to be worse overall. To me, it seems like they made some of it better while others almost the same. I would say for a new phone, this will be a great phone and def an upgrade compared to the M7. Very minor upgrade from the M8.

Could you please list these upgrades because I am honestly having a hard time thinking of any significant ones. I can think of huge steps backwards they have taken though, like the much worse screen and significantly shorter battery life.

@Victorious Secret do you get off disagreeing with me?

@Victorious Secret do you get off disagreeing with me?

What is your honest to god issue with me? I can't like someone else's comment without offending your delicate sensibilities? How is that disagreeing with you? 

If you're willing to get so offended over something so mundane, do I really need to say more? Grow up already, stop taking things so personally when people disagree or give their opinion, stop getting so upset that someone liked someone else's comment. 

Amazing. Not everything is about you, I don't "get off" on disagreeing with you. I get off on more important things. Don't think you make the cut for shit I care about. Take a large step back and re-evalute how YOU interact with people. 

You take nearly every last thing to its extreme for no good reason. Why the hell did you even need to mention me? You're going 12 rounds with @TheCMan, go right ahead. What the hell do I have to do with your need to piss all over everything? 

- snip -

- snip -

OK folks, this is getting too personal, so we're closing this party.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic