FBI lets suspects go to protect 'Stingray' secrets

story_635

You know how to tell you've stumbled across something very important? When it gets this kind of treatment. The FBI willing to drop charges and let someone go all in the name of not wanting to reveal even the tiniest detail about Stingray? Gotta wonder just how powerful and just how well it works that they don't want anything leaking out. 

Stingray is basically a very sophisticated way to get cellphones to give up their locations, its something very useful for law enforcement but can be hilariously abused if needed. Thats the fear people have and thats why some jurisdictions are trying to get the information out there, but honestly? Good luck. The FBI would sooner burn every last detail of the program than reveal anything to anyone. 

Few people know Stingrays even exist — or that federal agents and police across the country are increasingly using them to arrest people. It's a small device that mimics a cell phone tower, duping nearby cell phones into connecting to it rather than a real phone company tower.

There's a growing privacy concern because while police use the Stingrays to track down an individual, they can potentially grab text messages and phone call data on thousands of innocent people.

In November, we learned that federal agents regularly fly planes nationwide that spy on Americans' phone calls. We also know police in at least 20 states use Stingrays, according to public records obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union.

But everything else is a mystery because police agencies have non-disclosure agreements with the maker of Stingrays: the Harris Corporation based in Melbourne, Florida. They also have similar hush-hush contracts with the FBI.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=33878539

Why not just lock them away forever? :P

They'll talk eventually; they're only human.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

......so a LAW ENFORCEMENT agency, is not enforcing the law, to protect their own tools?

..............................what's the fucking point then?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Dont tell everyone :P its a secret

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

is stingray even sophisticated ? u can make you own

it just pushes a phone to use 2G and then bruteforce it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Extremely old news. There were active towers located around the U.S. that don't belong to any service carrier either.

Extremely old news. There were active towers located around the U.S. that don't belong to any service carrier either.

Did you even read the article and what I wrote? I'm not commenting on the general tech of Stingray, I'm talking about this very specific case where the FBI dropped charges over it. Cause it was posted March 22nd, 2015 @ 12:02pm