7.1 Headphones?

ShearMe

OK i understood that part...So it's all done in software, correct?

And you can get the same effect with regular (non 7.1 marketed) headphones?

But with a regular headphone, where is the processing being done? By the game engine?

You do not need specialized headphones, that is correct.

Some game engines do indeed have audio processing for headphone use. I would even go so far as to say that most modern games should't need external software at all.

Razer Surround is free software if you need an easy way to test a particular game. Otherwise, the only other real options are soundcards and their respective drivers.

OK so when people refer to 7.1 gaming headsets being BS, they're referring to headsets which have more than one driver in each ear.

e.g: http://cdn.overclock.net/3/33/334b639a_Razer-Tiamat-7.1_2.jpeg

They're not referring to the surround sound effect created by the software? (that was the bit that was confusing me...)

Because the virtual surround effect is kinda cool..

Now i assume this virtual surround processing is done by a lot of games? It would almost be a requirement for 1st/3rd person games, no?

OK so when people refer to 7.1 gaming headsets being BS, they're referring to headsets which have more than one driver in each ear.

e.g: http://cdn.overclock.net/3/33/334b639a_Razer-Tiamat-7.1_2.jpeg

They're not referring to the surround sound effect created by the software? (that was the bit that was confusing me...)

Because the virtual surround effect is kinda cool..

Now i assume this virtual surround processing is done by a lot of games? It would almost be a requirement for 1st/3rd person games, no?

We also consider USB headsets which include virtual surround to be BS because most of them are crappy and their advertising is unclear. Virtual surround is not a bad thing, but hiding it in a product and calling it something it's not IS.

Yes, most modern 1st and 3rd person shooters should include some sort of HRTF processing. The real problem is that not everyone's head is the same, so not everyone gets the benefit of a standardized HRTF. Luckily, Razer Surround's paid version is customizable!

Cheers. Yeah from what i've read they're generally crappy and overpriced for what they are. 

It was the real 7.1 vs virtual 7.1 that was confusing me..

Cheers. Yeah from what i've read they're generally crappy and overpriced for what they are.

It was the real 7.1 vs virtual 7.1 that was confusing me..

Yeah, real 7.1 can only be in speakers.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Oh my bad. Gaming headsets seem to be marketed as true 7.1 not real

Oh my bad. Gaming headsets seem to be marketed as true 7.1 not real.

Yeah and that's just stupid because they are not true/real

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm not sure how I got to this place

I was researching Air Cooling O_O

Anyways, good info there. But I got confused somewhere near the end.

Does this include soundcards?

Or wait what. Sorry I have like zero knowledge with this sort of thing.

Example in my case:

I'm looking for a "cheap gaming headset" with a built-in mic.

OFC, first look, the choice would be the HyperX Clouds,

The problem is which cloud to get, the v1 or the v2.

I've read posts regarding the v2's 7.1 soundcard being sh!t.

So the norm would be people buying a v1 and adding a 7.1 soundcard.

Anything against this decision? If no, what's a good and cheap soundcard.

EDIT: sorry for piggybacking your thread

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

I'm not sure how I got to this place

I was researching Air Cooling O_O

Anyways, good info there. But I got confused somewhere near the end.

Does this include soundcards?

Or wait what. Sorry I have like zero knowledge with this sort of thing.

Example in my case:

I'm looking for a "cheap gaming headset" with a built-in mic.

OFC, first look, the choice would be the HyperX Clouds,

The problem is which cloud to get, the v1 or the v2.

I've read posts regarding the v2's 7.1 soundcard being sh!t.

So the norm would be people buying a v1 and adding a 7.1 soundcard.

Anything against this decision? If no, what's a good and cheap soundcard.

EDIT: sorry for piggybacking your thread

Start a new thread in the audio sub forum. We can all answer your question there. This is not the place for a question like that. :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Start a new thread in the audio sub forum. We can all answer your question there. This is not the place for a question like that. :)

Oh sorry. Thanks, and Done.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

• 1 month later...

Stereo is powerful tho.. I think filtering can do the same. We have really good ears, and can estimate very well where sound is coming from, judging by characteristics, loudness and the amount of reverb. All of which can be simulated perfectly over 2 speakers. All we have is 2 ears :o

• 3 weeks later...

So... what should I get? Stereo headphones? Open-back? I'm confused

Yes and yes.

Open back stereo headphones? Is that the best alternative?

Maybe? It depends what you're trying to achieve and at what budget.

Maybe? It depends what you're trying to achieve and at what budget.

Well, I've been looking for some "gaming" headphones, to hear steps and whatnot. Budget, around 100-150 USD

Well, I've been looking for some "gaming" headphones, to hear steps and whatnot. Budget, around 100-150 USD

Do you own a headphone/headset that you use right now? If so, what? If not, what have you used?

Do you own a headphone/headset that you use right now? If so, what? If not, what have you used?

Yeah... I'm ashamed though. It's an old pair of ps3 headphones, and they kinda really suck so.. new ones needed. Other than those, I haven't really used enough to express an opinion

Yeah... I'm ashamed though. It's an old pair of ps3 headphones, and they kinda really suck so.. new ones needed. Other than those, I haven't really used enough to express an opinion

Then get a 558. You might hate it, but at least it will be better than what you have now.

Then get a 558. You might hate it, but at least it will be better than what you have now.

If I got these, or any other open-backs, what else would I need? Like software-wise? And also, why do you think I might hate it? And also, noise-cancelling?

If I got these, or any other open-backs, what else would I need? Like software-wise? And also, why do you think I might hate it? And also, noise-cancelling?

You can use whatever software you like, none is required though. Razer surround or the surround processing from a soundcard/onboard audio/game engine. They won't cancel any noise so if you want that you should get a closed, isolating headphone.

You can use whatever software you like, none is required though. Razer surround or the surround processing from a soundcard/onboard audio/game engine. They won't cancel any noise so if you want that you should get a closed, isolating headphone.

Yeah, obviously, but I was thinking if you knew if it was a good option for games. (I want some noise-can for other more daily use)

I'll look into it some more, thank you for your help :)

• 2 months later...

Actually, there is a point to having more than one driver in earphones (I still think it's pointless in headphones). due to the additional drivers, you can basically tune certain drivers to be good at certain frequencies, and in general make the sound better, or even have greater control in the sound profile. It's a lot harder to do that in a headphone however, as the drivers have to be a lot bigger to move more air, and therefore can't be sealed off like IEM's can be.

1 hour ago, Godin_Intaki said:

Actually, there is a point to having more than one driver in earphones (I still think it's pointless in headphones). due to the additional drivers, you can basically tune certain drivers to be good at certain frequencies, and in general make the sound better, or even have greater control in the sound profile. It's a lot harder to do that in a headphone however, as the drivers have to be a lot bigger to move more air, and therefore can't be sealed off like IEM's can be.

Sure, multi-driver IEMs are perfectly reasonable.

Not what the thread is attempting to address, though.

• 4 years later...

So I just saw this referenced in another thread, and I have to say, I don't find this to be a good post.

I have technical quibbles with how some things were explained and how some terms were used, like how interaural loudness difference was conflated with panning. But more broadly, I think the tone is very misleading. For instance, when you talk about virtual surround sound, the tone is very critical. But when you later bring up binaural recordings and in game virtual surround sound settings, the tone shifts to laudatory. To me, this makes no sense when they all are fundamentally using the same mechanisms to give headphone users more spatial information, and they all share the same drawbacks (lack of personalization).

And that brings me to the larger problem - the false sense of security that this post gives people. You say that most modern games have a headphone option that provides binaural audio,with the implication being that 7.1>binaural processing from the end user is redundant. That idea is bonkers, especially since it isn't even true now in 2020, let alone when this post was written in 2015. Audio menus are very sparse, usually only having volume options and such. When there is a headphone option, it likely only improves how the audio panning is done for stereo audio on headphones, rather than giving you binaural audio. Some of the biggest budget games, like Doom Eternal, Control, Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2 - these games don't have any binaural audio options. And some of the biggest multiplayer games atm - Valorant, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege - these games also don't come with any binaural audio options either! There are games that do come with the options - Resident Evil 2 remake, Overwatch, PubG, CSGO, Battlefield V, Quake Champions, but these are more the exception than the rule. If there is any doubt, you can devise a test to see if the audio is carrying more than just information for left and right over headphones.