This can't possibly end badly... (painting RAM)

insan3guy

I got 32gb of g.skill memory a while back on that sale that newegg had.  I think I paid $160 for all of it.  Not bad, except that... it's blue.  It's very blue, at least to me and my greened -out stormtrooper.

So, I went down to the auto parts store, grabbed a can of blaze green & a can of black plasti dip, and I made this contraption out of an old amazon box.  Keeps the sticks from touching anything and I can flip them over to paint the other side.

This is my first "major" modification to my rig so far, and I'm hoping that it'll turn out well.  I'm just doing 2 sticks per can (so I figure that I can lay it on pretty thickly), and one batch at a time so that if I kill them I'll still have a functioning computer at the end of the day.

I'm also putting each layer on pretty thinly as I don't have much experience at painting things, but I have the whole night free so I can still allow half an hour between each coat.

What do you guys think?

post-43335-0-58417600-1426824096_thumb.jpost-43335-0-63264600-1426824104_thumb.j

you need to paint over it all in black first to get the best color

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

taking off the covers and painting those might have worked better. idk if thats what you did but that's what it looks like. pretty good idea instead of like buying new ram or paying a ton more for the color you need.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

you need to paint over it all in black first to get the best color

Is it possible to layer it thickly enough that it won't matter?

taking off the covers and painting those might have worked better. idk if thats what you did but that's what it looks like. pretty good idea instead of like buying new ram or paying a ton more for the color you need.

I would've happily gotten some green ram for a couple $$ more, but there just aren't that many options out there :\

Why didn't you remove the stickers?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

When it comes to painting anything, preparation before painting is always the key. You should have removed the stickers first, clean, do light sanding, clean again, paint with primer, then you paint with the main color.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

I got 32gb of g.skill memory a while back on that sale that newegg had.  I think I paid $160 for all of it.  Not bad, except that... it's blue.  It's very blue, at least to me and my greened -out stormtrooper.

So, I went down to the auto parts store, grabbed a can of blaze green & a can of black plasti dip, and I made this contraption out of an old amazon box.  Keeps the sticks from touching anything and I can flip them over to paint the other side.

This is my first "major" modification to my rig so far, and I'm hoping that it'll turn out well.  I'm just doing 2 sticks per can (so I figure that I can lay it on pretty thickly), and one batch at a time so that if I kill them I'll still have a functioning computer at the end of the day.

I'm also putting each layer on pretty thinly as I don't have much experience at painting things, but I have the whole night free so I can still allow half an hour between each coat.

What do you guys think?

attachicon.gif20150319_214921.jpgattachicon.gif20150319_222126.jpg

Plasti-dip is a bit harder to work with in my experience than regular spray paint, you can either lay it on thick to get an orange peel texture or go super think and get a flocked or heavily textured type finish. Looks ok for a start but it looks like it will need quite a lot more coats to get it done, alos as others have said it's not necessary but a good idea to remove stickers.

When it comes to painting anything, preparation before painting is always the key. You should have removed the stickers first, clean, do light sanding, clean again, paint with primer, then you paint with the main color.

Plasti-dip doesn't necessarily need to be sanded or primed it's not regular spray paint, it's a removable rubber coating.

$400 for 32gb of ram...

Why didn't you remove the stickers?

I've been told that it's not absolutely necessary to remove the stickers for plasti dip, and I'd like to be able to put all of it back to original color in case I want to resell it.

Also... I know that it's not good practice to do it this way, but I'm only going to be looking at them from the top.  If there's a little bit of an outline from the stickers underneath, I won't be able to see it from the outside.  I'm okay with that.

Plasti-dip doesn't necessarily need to be sanded or primed it's not regular spray paint, it's a removable rubber coating.

He would have gotten better results with the color using lesser coats of paint still if he did. ;)

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

$400 for 32gb of ram...

I would've happily gotten some green ram for a couple $$ more

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

He would have gotten better results with the color using lesser coats of paint still if he did.  ;)

True paint would have a thinner compared to plasti-dip, more coats are needed, from the looks of things it's only the first coat or a very thin few coats.

Well, it's certainly very... green... :) I like it a fair bit. I think you still might have gotten the same results sooner if you had done an undercoat of black or white first. (see linus' video on painting parts, and you'll see what I mean. He used plasti-dip too)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Well, it's certainly very... green... :) I like it a fair bit. I think you still might have gotten the same results sooner if you had done an undercoat of black or white first. (see linus' video on painting parts, and you'll see what I mean. He used plasti-dip too)

I agree.  I'm thinking that I'll probably redo this with an undercoat of white tomorrow.  We'll see how it turns out

Poor ram i picked up a few sticks of this a bit back when it was somewhat cheap .

..you do realize that the ram does come out of the heatsink and the sticker does come off right?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Poor ram i picked up a few sticks of this a bit back when it was somewhat cheap .

..you do realize that the ram does come out of the heatsink and the sticker does come off right?

Yes, and yes.  I took off all the green and restarted with black after removing the stickers.  (it does look a lot better, teengeek)

I don't want to take off the heatsinks b/c I'm not sure about the adhesive on them being reusable or not.

I'm wearing a mask and some goggles, too.