970 SLI, or sell and get Titan X

runit3

I just finished reformatting my loop and installing my second 970 in SLI. Met my expectations of going from ultra (-MSAA & HBAO) in 1440p to having everything absolutely maxed and rarely dipping below 125fps.

Then the Titan X reviews came out <_<

Should I;

1) Sell my 970's and get a Titan X

2) Keep the 970's and hope SLI for Star Citizen in 1440p is enough

3) Wait until AMD/ATI launch their 390x, then decide.

*EDIT* just for context, I will be keeping these card(s) for 4-5 years. It's the last piece of my system besides maybe splurging on a bigger case. I would like to be running 1440p @60Hz w/ultra settings and AA w/post. Yes, games will evolve and get more demanding over that period, but one 970 isn't enough to handle 1440p w/AA (one card was tanking to 37-45fps w/x2 MSAA on) in BF4.

Need opinions from the GPU freaks out there for the smarter move.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I have seen benchmarks where the 970s are better than titan x in games, keep em, i am keeping mine :)

I just finished reformatting my loop and installing my second 970 in SLI. Met my expectations of going from ultra (-MSAA & HBAO) in 1440p to having everything absolutely maxed and rarely dipping below 125fps.

Then the Titan X reviews came out <_<

Should I;

1) Sell my 970's and get a Titan X

2) Keep the 970's and hope SLI for Star Citizen in 1440p is enough

3) Wait until AMD/ATI launch their 390x, then decide.

hard choice... well the thing is, would you have the 1000$ to buy a titan x ?
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Wait for dx12 to be able to stack vram.

Yeah, the 3.5 * 2 of it  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Keep the 970s. There's no point in spending more money for around the same performance. 

Yeah, the 3.5 * 2 of it  :lol:

wow. ur so funny.

can i have ur autograph now?????

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

And it begins with the stupid should i get a titan x posts. the reviews are out we shouldn't  have make decisions for you. If you want to drop $1000 on a graphics card then do it. 

Titans are nice with the best performance money can buy. But seriously man for the price its a waste of money unless you are one of these guys which have money that grows on trees in your back garden. "not naming names but there is a few of them people in this forum lol"

2 970 is still very good. I am still thinking 970/980 or 980ti but for the price im not thinking titan unless I get 1 for free lol.

As far as I can tell, unless you are absolutely desperate to have the latest and greatest, or have a need for the 12GB VRAM, Id say save your money.

wow. ur so funny.

can i have ur autograph now?????

:P

Nah, but you would get more VRAM anyway, even if he did get the Titan X?! There is no point in the DX12 VRAM Stacking if you are gonna get more of it without stacking anyway?

But true, you would still have to spend more $$$ to get the Titan X.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

hard choice... well the thing is, would you have the 1000$ to buy a titan x ?

Should be able to recoup ~$600 for the G1's that retail at ~$355 shipped. They're pristine condition, all original packaging. My first one OC's like a beast, the second one struggles a bit with the memory clock, but core clock is just as good. So all in on the Titan X would only be $400.

Keep the 970s. There's no point in spending more money for around the same performance. 

The same performance assuming I'm not slamming into my 3.5GB max. Shadows of Mordor comes to mind, which will absolutely tank the 970's with the HD textures @1440p. As it stands the 970's or the Titan X will be at least a 5 year investment (same as my PC).

I have seen benchmarks where the 970s are better than titan x in games, keep em, i am keeping mine :)

Care to share the benchmarks? I'm in 1440p btw, and would install HD textures if the game provides them. Would also prefer to be at x4 AA w/post.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

:P

Nah, but you would get more VRAM anyway, even if he did get the Titan X?! There is no point in the DX12 VRAM Stacking if you are gonna get more of it without stacking anyway?

But true, you would still have to spend more $$$ to get the Titan X.

Titan X is a bit better than a 980.

2 970s are a bit better than a 980.

Titan X cost more.

Not even a competition here.

Titan X cost more.

True, true.

And it begins with the stupid should i get a titan x posts. the reviews are out we shouldn't  have make decisions for you. If you want to drop $1000 on a graphics card then do it. 

and it begins with the pointless insulting posts. If I SELL my 970's it's a $400 difference. $500 with a block on the Titan X.

I'm looking for opinions based on my needs...fail to see how that is "stupid". I rarely geek out on GPU's, as I'm much more interested in CPU's. The Titan X is the first card where I've thoroughly been impressed/interested.

The same performance assuming I'm not slamming into my 3.5GB max. Shadows of Mordor comes to mind, which will absolutely tank the 970's with the HD textures @1440p. As it stands the 970's or the Titan X will be at least a 5 year investment (same as my PC).

There's not many games that use more than 3.5GB at 1440P (SoM and Modded Skyrim are two of the few), so you'd be fine for a while with the 970s. The Titan cards are not good value (take this from someone who owns two Titan Blacks), you'd be better off with the 390X (most likely). At least, you should wait for the 390X to see what it's like before buying/selling anything.

Get titan SLI.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Titan X cost more.

Two 970 are way better than a single 980. 3300 CUDA cores vs 2048.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Yes, very helpful. What is the point of this section, if not to advise on potential purchases and decisions. It could be that it was an awful idea, but there's no need to be a dick about it, you could point out why it's a bad choice and what the better options are. 

This attitude is the reason people have been complaining about the forums turning sour, and we don't need it. If you don't want to be polite and help people, then don't post or leave. 

I'm under the impression that 970 SLI is similar in performance to the Titan X anyway, no use selling your stuff and spending extra money for the same thing. VRAM could be an issue (probably not though) but hopefully DirectX 12 will let us stack it up.

I'm under the impression that 970 SLI is similar in performance to the Titan X anyway, no use selling your stuff and spending extra money for the same thing. VRAM could be an issue (probably not though) but hopefully DirectX 12 will let us stack it up.

I'm interested to see how stacking vRAM will work with the 970. Will it use one card's vRAM, then overflow to the other? If so, the last 500MB could still be an issue.