Tag Heuer confirms Google and Intel partnerships for first luxury Android Wear smartwatch by end of 2015

phpo7b6t4.jpg

Its about time another luxury watch company stepped into the game with a smart watch based off a watch that you probably would wear. No offence to everyone else, but your smart watches are several grades of ugly and poor. Tag, since they are basing theirs off the Carrera above, will win by default. And you aren't even going to argue that point so don't even start. 

This is great news though. A proper watch maker taking their design and someone elses tech to make a watch that you can actually wear without feeling like you have something bulky and "techy" strapped to your wrist. You want smart watches to be accepted by the public? You start selling them like normal watches and let the magic happen on its own. 

According to Jena-Claude Biver, the president of LVMH Watches Worldwide, in an interview with Reuters at the watch trade show, "Tag Heuer is planning to launch next autumn a smartwatch version of its Carrera watch that will offer many of the same functions as the Apple watch such as geolocation, distance walked and altitude."

The watch will be a digital replica of the original Tag Heuer black Carrera and look like the original watch. 

"People will have the impression that they are wearing a normal watch," Tag Heuer Chief Executive Jean-Claude Biver told Reuters in an interview at Baselworld, the industry's biggest fair where retailers place their orders for the year.

The comments follow a recent interview with Bloomberg where Biver said: "we can't produce the engine, the chips, the applications, the hardware - nobody can produce it in Switzerland."

"The hardware and the software will come from Silicon Valley. But the watch case, the dial, the design, the idea, the crown, that part of the watch will, of course, be Swiss."

"We'll only do it if we can be first, different and unique," he said in an interview with Reuters at the time, without specifying how much energy or money is being invested on the project.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133247-tag-heuer-confirms-google-and-intel-partnerships-for-first-luxury-android-wear-smartwatch-by-end-of-2015

This post has been promoted to an article

OOH, this really excites me, I can see myself wearing a Tag smart watch

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Finally! Let´s hope many "affordable" good looking ones will follow.

This one won´t be in my price range... But as you said, this will hopefully start the trend.

But will it be in gold? 

If it looks like that picture, I'd wear the shit out of that. 

Also, where's @Victorious Secret 's News Reporter badge? He's been on the WAN show for like 6 weeks in a row at least xD

It most definitely will. Tag is going to use that specific Carrera 1887 design. Not sure if other designs like the Monaco are going to be made available, I hope to god that they are since THIS as a smart watch would be spectacular. 

tag-heuer-monaco-collection.jpg

Nice watch, can't wait to check it out.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Looks dope.

Shame it'll cost a shit ton so I won't be able to justify the price to myself.

It'll still be cheaper than the Apple Watch.

It most definitely will. Tag is going to use that specific Carrera 1887 design. Not sure if other designs like the Monaco are going to be made available, I hope to god that they are since THIS as a smart watch would be spectacular. 

-snip-

Got to say I don't like the look of those as much. The square face kind of bugs me. Having a conventional watch face and design, but with a screen that can overlay over the face of the watch is what I'm really looking forward to. Preserves battery life and looks fantastic.  

TAG makes beautiful watches; too bad I can't use Androidwear with my phone.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Smart watches? Are u serious? I like their Carrera series, but... It must be mechanical perfection, not 'electrical'.

hoping for an transparent OLED screen over the normal face

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I was only thinking last week about Tag watches with apples new smart watch range. Most expensive smart watch being in the tens of thousands of £'s or dollars. I thought if I was going to spend x amount on a watch it would be a Tag, instead of on something that to me looks like a gimmick which you have to charge up every so many days.

I'm not an avid wearer of watches, but I do occasionally wear them because I class them as jewellery. I can't see me ever wearing a smart watch, from what I have seen so far none of them look like jewellery. But I'm getting on a bit and I'm no longer hip.

Anyhow what I was going to say was, I feel disappointed tag are doing this. Personally I think they should stick to their high end mechanical watches. But I also understand business and there is a market they are missing out on.

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

If you want to make a "luxury" smartwatch, do it the right way, and make it a freaking pocket watch.

Why? Because this shit:

Akribos-XXIV-Mens-Antique-Automatic-Skel

Looks about a billion times classier than any smart watch or other wrist watch I've ever seen.

s-l1000.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

TAG makes beautiful watches; too bad I can't use Androidwear with my phone.

Android wear will work on iOS, confirmed to happen eventually.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Android wear will work on iOS, confirmed to happen eventually.

My only concern is battery life. The level of functionality they are targeted doesn't seem like it will be very kind to a watch like the Carrera. The Carrera casing certainly is big enough but big enough for a properly sized battery to give it enough battery life? 

I'd like to see these guys push for 2-3 days worth of battery now across the board in general use, not just in special use cases. 

My only concern is battery life. The level of functionality they are targeted doesn't seem like it will be very kind to a watch like the Carrera. The Carrera casing certainly is big enough but big enough for a properly sized battery to give it enough battery life? 

I'd like to see these guys push for 2-3 days worth of battery now across the board in general use, not just in special use cases. 

If its an analog watch with smart watch functions, and some super efficient Intel CPU, it could do it no issue.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Have you seen this before? http://www.turnstyle.co.uk/technology/2015/01/07/mont-blancs-smartwatch-difference/

You can still have your usual mechanical watch mechanism with a little bit of 'smart' to it.

I've just been waiting for the normal watch companies to join the game. A normal analog watch with a display on top that can be turned on to function as a smart watch is perfect. I'm not a big supporter of smart watches but if they do that and it looks like in op I I'd buy the hell out of that.

Smart watches? Are u serious? I like their Carrera series, but... It must be mechanical perfection, not 'electrical'.

What if these were both? Kinetic charging via a momentum wheel, time governed by inner gears, and the rest governed by a chip?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Quartz? No thanks.

This is very surprising coming from Jean Claude Biver who has been at the forefront of the mechanical watch industry for decades.

Aside: For those who haven't seen his watch collection, it is worth watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvLhJamAjAs

What if these were both? Kinetic charging via a momentum wheel, time governed by inner gears, and the rest governed by a chip?

It will be very non-compact and, maybe, ugly.

Even my "carrera herrenuhr" is quite thick.