Windows 10 as a usable everyday OS?

benthegreat17

Hello

I have debating changing over to the development version on Windows 10 to use as my everyday OS. Is it worth? Is there still too many bugs?

Let me know!

- Benjamin

Ask Putin ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Lol even on release day, there are gonna be some bugs. I'd just chillax, and wait for the release. If you can't wait, and you want it right NOOWUUH! Then I guess you can go for it. :D

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I wouldn't recommend it. I run it strictly in a VMWare environment, and will continue to do so until it is officially released. You might also run into application incompatibilities, so there's that as well.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Yes, It works fine, i have used it for like at least a month

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You can use it as your main OS, but you have to be ready to re-install the OS at the most unexpected time and be fine with it. If you are busy with school (just as an example), it might not be the best idea.

Also, you must setup frequent backup system of your data. A small bug can result in large amount of data loss.

I'm typing via Windows 10 right now.  It's not unbearably buggy, but there are noticable issues here and there.  I've already had to restore my pc once in the few days I've had it.  It is a great option if you don't have any money for an OS license but only if you have technical know-how, a good backup system, and another computer.

I'm typing via Windows 10 right now.  It's not unbearably buggy, but there are noticable issues here and there.  I've already had to restore my pc once in the few days I've had it.  It is a great option if you don't have any money for an OS license but only if you have technical know-how, a good backup system, and another computer.

Data aside, any chance Windows 10 will do damage to hardware?

Building PC soon, intend to run Windows 10 on it sooner or later. Contemplating on whether to get Windows 10 preview, then buy Windows 10 directly, or to buy Windows 8.1.

I have a Windows 7 laptop where all the important stuff is on so I'm not worried about data. I just can't wait until Windows 10 is out before building the PC...

An OS cannot damage hardware. The only possible software that can damage your hardware, is IF the drivers allows voltage control.

And IF something had the APIs for it, and that decides to overvolt some component (MSI Afterburner, for example, which uses RivaTuner, which that has support for Nvidia and AMD secret APIs to overclock the GPU).

MSI Afterburner isn't an OS. So no.

An OS cannot damage hardware. The only possible software that can damage your hardware, is IF the drivers allows voltage control.

And IF something had the APIs for it, and that decides to overvolt some component (MSI Afterburner, for example, which uses RivaTuner, which that has support for Nvidia and AMD secret APIs to overclock the GPU).

MSI Afterburner isn't an OS. So no.

Thanks.

So logically saying, it still could happen if there's a problem between the driver and Windows 10 that causes hardware to burn, even if the chances is likely very very low right?

It is a possibility. But it would be more a driver bug over anything, as it is not like Windows would have built-in knowledge of the APIs to execute over voltage instruction of the driver.

And that is only on drivers that supports overclocking. So it's really dedicated GPUs only.

And that is all assuming that all fail-safe system on the hardware itself and driver level all fails.

As mentioned its not ready. If you run SLI be apprehensive, I was fighting to access nvidia control panal when I had it to enable the second card, the thing just refused to boot unless it was off a fresh driver install. As soon as I rebooted it wouldnt open again. Its the main reason I went back to 8.1

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Data aside, any chance Windows 10 will do damage to hardware?

Building PC soon, intend to run Windows 10 on it sooner or later. Contemplating on whether to get Windows 10 preview, then buy Windows 10 directly, or to buy Windows 8.1.

I have a Windows 7 laptop where all the important stuff is on so I'm not worried about data. I just can't wait until Windows 10 is out before building the PC...

No, I don't think Windows 10 will damage your hardware, but if your PC explodes I do not claim responsibility :)

I would personally go for it if it's just a game/media PC and important work doesn't need to be done on it.  With the full-fledged OS to come out this summer, you really only have a few months of the preview.  Any problems you may have with the preview will probably be bearable enough that you can handle them for a few months.  But that's my personal opinion, and I've only used it a couple of days, so take it all with a grain of salt.  Bottom line: it's your call, beware of the risks but keep in mind the benefits.

Bare in mind, if you just stay on Win 7/8/8.1 then you can straight upgrade when Win 10 goes RTM.

You cant upgrade the Tech Preview, you'll have to wipe it and reinstall it.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I recently switched to it as my main laptop OS when I upgraded it to a SSD. Yes, there are problems, yes it will just randomly update and make Sype keep annoying the hell out of you, but meh, at the end of the day it works just fine for me. The only major problem was with audio, but simple driver changes fixed that 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

'too many bugs'. What type of useless answer is that?

I've been using Windows 10 on my desktop PC for months and I haven't run into any bugs or problems. It's fast, it's easy to navigate (although I do miss Windows-S from Windows 8.1) and all of my programs are supported.

I really like it.

Need help with the RMA/retail side of things? Feel free to send me a PM, always happy to share my industry experience with others.

No, I don't think Windows 10 will damage your hardware, but if your PC explodes I do not claim responsibility :)

I would personally go for it if it's just a game/media PC and important work doesn't need to be done on it.  With the full-fledged OS to come out this summer, you really only have a few months of the preview.

Part of me wants to just get 8.1, since MS gives 1 year time frame to upgrade to Windows 10 after the release and I could wait 1 whole year for them to iron out any issues before taking that free upgrade.

Another part of me wants to experiment, and maybe see if there's any good deals when it is released later. I'm also a .NET developer, would be nice to have something to play with, though honestly speaking it's likely 90% games 10% work/experiment.

A little worried about drivers, that's all. I have the first tech preview installed in a vm, but that was choppy. Likely the VM's fault.

I just reverted back to Windows 8.1 after using Windows 10 for 2 months. On top of all of the GPU related driver problems which wouldn't allow you to run SLI and occasional drop in frame rates, today when the OS updated itself to the newest build I started seeing an error message at shut downs stating that "Memory cannot be read!" After numerous hours of trying to fix this stupid thing, I just reinstalled Windows 8.1 and everything is back to normal.  

Windows 10 is an ok OS. I really like the new start menu and Cortana stuff, it's just a bit too early to use it as a daily OS. Many peripherals don't have drivers that work on it and other peculiar little stuff goes wrong every now and then. For example I couldn't get my printer working even after I installed the drivers; some programs plainly won't start at all, even in compatibility mode, etc. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

If you want to run Windows 10 I would highly suggest you do a separate install of it on a different hard drive and not the one you using for Windows 7 or 8 on,this way if you decide not to run Windows 10 you can just simply unplug that drive and plug the other drive back in with out having the hassle of reloading your OS..

This is what I do when I want to try a new OS out..

Part of me wants to just get 8.1, since MS gives 1 year time frame to upgrade to Windows 10 after the release and I could wait 1 whole year for them to iron out any issues before taking that free upgrade.

Another part of me wants to experiment, and maybe see if there's any good deals when it is released later. I'm also a .NET developer, would be nice to have something to play with, though honestly speaking it's likely 90% games 10% work/experiment.

A little worried about drivers, that's all. I have the first tech preview installed in a vm, but that was choppy. Likely the VM's fault.

8.1 is great and all, but the major downside to your first plan is spending $100 USD or so for a legitimate copy.

Personally I've had no crashes and only a couple minor bugs, which both were solved by un-hiding the task bar. Just keep in mind that not all features are finished.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Windows 10 Build 10041 seems stable enough for an every day operating system. Although it's far from polished. I'm typing this from Build 10041 and I can say it's got more cons than pros from my initial impression. To the point where I actually plan on going back to Windows 8.1 after I toy with it some more.

Windows 10 Build 10041 seems stable enough for an every day operating system. Although it's far from polished. I'm typing this from Build 10041 and I can say it's got more cons than pros from my initial impression. To the point where I actually plan on going back to Windows 8.1 after I toy with it some more.

Just out of curiosity what are your cons with Win 10 TP?

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)