Windows 10 as a usable everyday OS?

benthegreat17

Just out of curiosity what are your cons with Win 10 TP?

1. Border dimensions are out of wack.
  2. Start menu search bar popup is glitchy.
  3. "Safely remove hardware" no longer spurts notifications.
  4. Windows Update doesn't have an option of being manually disabled (you have to kill and disable the service).
  5. OneDrive is forced to run on startup with the option in settings being disabled (you have to disable it through task manager).
  6. Bugs, bugs, and more bugs.
  7. Account selection screen to desktop transition is glitchy (desktop bleeds through before the account selection screen pops up).
  8. Search is very much broken (example: typing in Windows Updates and clicking the result only launches the control center but doesn't navigate you to the particular settings).

If I spent more time on it than I did I could compile a massive list of all the problems Windows 10 TP has. Windows 10 is on a good path it's just got a long ways to go before it's even remotely usable for power users. Hopefully in the coming months they will release a more polished build and fix a lot of these issues.

2. Start menu search bar popup is glitchy.

This can be solved by un-hiding the task bar (that is if it's the same glitch I was having); along with this, I'm sure MS will work these issues out before release.

Have you mentioned any of these issues in the Windows Feedback app? It might be a good idea if you haven't.

Btw, OneDrive can be disabled by right clicking its icon in task manager system tray and selecting "settings".

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

This can be solved by un-hiding the task bar (that is if it's the same glitch I was having); along with this, I'm sure MS will work these issues out before release.

Have you mentioned any of these issues in the Windows Feedback app? It might be a good idea if you haven't.

Btw, OneDrive can be disabled by right clicking its icon in the task manager and selecting "settings".

The clean install was unmodified. So the task bar wasn't in automatic hide mode or anything.

I'm not really interested in making a Microsoft account to just help them do their job (as horrible as that sounds).

On build 10041 you can't disable OneDrive from it's settings the checkbox gadgets are disabled by default (meaning the options cannot be changed).

There are workarounds for some of these issues like I've outlined above although in its current state Windows 10 has a lot of polishing to be done to it.

The clean install was unmodified. So the task bar wasn't in automatic hide mode or anything.

I'm not really interested in making a Microsoft account to just help them do their job (as horrible as that sounds).

On build 10041 you can't disable OneDrive from it's settings the checkbox gadgets are disabled by default (meaning the options cannot be changed).

There are workarounds for some of these issues like I've outlined above although in its current state Windows 10 has a lot of polishing to be done to it.

OneDrive can be disabled by right clicking its icon in the system tray (sorry misspoke about task manager) and selecting "settings". It's not grayed out, I just did it...

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

OneDrive can be disabled by right clicking its icon in the system tray (sorry misspoke about task manager) and selecting "settings". It's not grayed out, I just did it...

I think you're misunderstanding me. On Build 10041 the "start at system startup" checkboxes are grayed out (disabled gadgets) so disabling OneDrive from the settings is not possible.

It could be that you have to login to access these settings which would be plain stupid. Tho on a fresh install of Build 10041 it has to be done from the task manager.

I think you're misunderstanding me. On Build 10041 the "start at system startup" checkboxes are grayed out (disabled gadgets) so disabling OneDrive from the settings is not possible.

It could be that you have to login to access these settings which would be plain stupid. Tho on a fresh install of Build 10041 it has to be done from the task manager.

I'm on Build 10041 (clean install) and was able to disable it by the method mentioned above. Perhaps you're right, maybe you have to login.