[mini] these are the ways users can upgrade to windows 10 on launch

AlexGoesHigh

8YNWqvG.jpg

these should clear out lots of doubts about the process, only 7 SP1 and 8.1 with the latest updates are supported to update via windows update, 7 rtm, 8 and 8.1 without updates must be done through an iso installation, RT is pretty much dead, expect for a update that add some new features in the future but is not 10, which MS previously, stated, phone 8 is also dead, and 8.1 handsets will get the 10 through an OTA update,

people running vista and XP must do a clean install via ISO and honestly if your still running XP with hardware from that era, i think is better to leave it as is IMO

source: Neowin

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

screen shot is not working on my end. 

i put it on imgur, it should work now, though it worked on my end before that

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Honestly, if people are running 7 or 8 RTM, or 8.1 RTM,won't probably even know about Windows 10. 99% of Windows 7 systems have SP1 installed, and 8.1 S14 (whatever that is) must've come through Windows Update, and if you think you should disable it you do not deserve Windows 10. What I would like to know is licensing - how would Windows 10 product keys be handed? Will people who upgraded via Windows Update be handed a new product key?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I guess this confirms a rumour heard a while back that 10 was built on Windows 7 framework not 8, hence the Windows update for 7 but not 8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I think the bigger question is, is it possible to install it without upgrading? As in, put in an ISO, nuke your HDD and then install it? I dislike upgrading because it leaves a ton of junk files all over the place and I'd rather start from scratch.

And if that is possible (sounds completely unreasonable that it wouldn't be), is it still free?

I think the bigger question is, is it possible to install it without upgrading? As in, put in an ISO, nuke your HDD and then install it? I dislike upgrading because it leaves a ton of junk files all over the place and I'd rather start from scratch.

And if that is possible (sounds completely unreasonable that it wouldn't be), is it still free?

if they are giving isos i think that is more likely, otherwise they would just make you download the whole thing via WU on all versions, as for the activation keys, i guess they just upgrade the activation servers to recognize 7, 8 and 8.1 keys to be valid on 10 but i have no idea if they keys would stop working for the previous os they ran on, im just completely speculating so i could be all wrong but i think thats more likely how is going to work

Honestly, if people are running 7 or 8 RTM, or 8.1 RTM,won't probably even know about Windows 10. 99% of Windows 7 systems have SP1 installed, and 8.1 S14 (whatever that is) must've come through Windows Update, and if you think you should disable it you do not deserve Windows 10. 

Microsoft disagrees: They already said free upgrades to pirates, at least in China but maybe for all pirates.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Since its free for a year I think that they're just implementing that Genuine Advantage Activation crap with a year long fuse instead of just 90 days before it locks you out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What is 8.1 S14? 

I think it is any windows 8.1 version that is not RTM (or a pre release given to a manufacturer to test on hardware). 

Microsoft disagrees: They already said free upgrades to pirates, at least in China but maybe for all pirates.

I never said anything about piracy.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

windows update? pls, hdd nuke and clean install is the only correct upgrade path

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You should be able to. I bought only the "upgrade" license for Windows 8 at launch and have done at least 5 clean installs with the ISO and key. The only "problem" is that on the 2nd install and all the ones afterwards Windows Activation will freak out because it thinks the key is being used on 2 different computers so you just call the MS Activation automated phone number, say its only running on one computer, then it gets you to enter some random numbers and then it spits back a different set of random numbers (not a product key) and you enter those into a dialog box and that will clear your key as being good/only on one computer. I've done that each time I've done a reinstall so there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of times you can do it either lol.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

You should be able to. I bought only the "upgrade" license for Windows 8 at launch and have done at least 5 clean installs with the ISO and key. The only "problem" is that on the 2nd install and all the ones afterwards Windows Activation will freak out because it thinks the key is being used on 2 different computers so you just call the MS Activation automated phone number, say its only running on one computer, then it gets you to enter some random numbers and then it spits back a different set of random numbers (not a product key) and you enter those into a dialog box and that will clear your key as being good/only on one computer. I've done that each time I've done a reinstall so there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of times you can do it either lol.

i assume this using the same key on different hardware and not the same because on 7 i have done lots of clean installs in the same pc and never got problems with activation

Agree, installing from scratch is a must for me.

And maybe if you own genuine key you can just dl iso for fresh instal. They said that upgrade will also be offered to pirated versions. Though, that will be upgrade via win update and not sure they could get iso for fresh instal.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well if you have an ISO you can obviously do a boot install just like you can do right now with the technical preview, format or make new partition and there you have it just like previous.They just call it upgrade options/paths but with ISO you can always do a clean install.

And i think you mean if we can install 10 but then how do you activate it if you only have 7/8 dvd key,i hope they support for the first year old valid keys from 7 and 8,cause i definately wont be doing an upgrade from desktop thats not even on the table,ill pirate/crack it if they dont give me the option to use my win 8 key in first year on fresh/clean win10 install.

windows update? pls, hdd nuke and clean install is the only correct upgrade path

U have your OS on HDD ?

post-28682-0-73815000-1426728265_thumb.p

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

What about you login with your Microsoft ID and then you're allowed to download the ISO. It should be tied to your account so you can redownload whenever you want. Maybe they'll give you a key at first, one per account ? 

U have your OS on HDD ?

attachicon.gifsurprised-reaction-guy-l.png

960gb ssd are still too expensive

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

960gb ssd are still too expensive

Yes they are but 512gb is plenty for OS and software and they go on sale often :)

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yes they are but 512gb is plenty for OS and software and they go on sale often :)

yeeeeaaaa, but no. 512 not enough (on a notebook)

yeeeeaaaa, but no. 512 not enough (on a notebook)

Well im not sure if price drop on SSD's will impact Laptop cost.  They will still charge extra just because it has an ssd....

Well im not sure if price drop on SSD's will impact Laptop cost.  They will still charge extra just because it has an ssd....

already have a laptop. 969gb ssd are still too expensive for me to justify the upgrade and 512 is not enough storage to replace my almost full 500gb hdd

already have a laptop. 969gb ssd are still too expensive for me to justify the upgrade and 512 is not enough storage to replace my almost full 500gb hdd

Well laptops suck in upgradability. U can still get external hdd.