FX 6300 still worth?

Hello hello, I've posted in the GPU section some days ago asking for a graphic card.

My cousin came here this weekend with his pc and we tested a r9 290 in my rig.

I have a q8400 + 4gb ram + gt640 2gb gddr3. The point is there was only a few fps more, I definitely think it's about ram.

Does fx 6300 still worth to buy in 2015? If it is please post some student budget mobo.

Else which cpu do you think it's good for photoshop and gaming (Borderlands 2, CS:GO, Far Cry 3, Gmod, Payday 2, Rust) without expending a lot?

No, it's not.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

lfnR4CN.gif

^ Can't recommend any AMD CPUs atm tbh, 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

If you want a better option, you can get an i3 4150 and an asrock b85 anniversary motherboard. For video editing that 6300 will be pretty good, but not for gaming.

Heyyo,

Upgrade the GPU over your CPU brah... that "gt640 2gb gddr3" is definitely your limiting factor much more than your CPU.

If you got the money? Either go for an AMD R9 270X as a minimum or step up to the AMD R9 290 or NVIDIA GTX 970.

Otherwise? Shop around for good deals. Sometimes there's some good sales on high end AMD or NVIDIA GPUs and just look for the best price-to-performance ratio. ;)

As for your CPU? You could always toss on an aftermarket cooler and overclock it. You could probably easily push it from 2.66GHz to 3.2GHz and get a good performance gain without having to even touch your CPU Voltage. Intel really underclocked their Core2 series of CPUs.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

If you want a better option, you can get an i3 4150 and an asrock b85 anniversary motherboard. For video editing that 6300 will be pretty good, but not for gaming.

L2 cache isn't good for gaming? I guess the i3 only have 2mb

Heyyo,

Upgrade the GPU over your CPU brah... that "gt640 2gb gddr3" is definitely your limiting factor much more than your CPU.

If you got the money? Either go for an AMD R9 270X as a minimum or step up to the AMD R9 290 or NVIDIA GTX 970.

Otherwise? Shop around for good deals. Sometimes there's some good sales on high end AMD or NVIDIA GPUs and just look for the best price-to-performance ratio. ;)

As for your CPU? You could always toss on an aftermarket cooler and overclock it. You could probably easily push it from 2.66GHz to 3.2GHz and get a good performance gain without having to even touch your CPU Voltage. Intel really underclocked their Core2 series of CPUs.

Yea, I tried overclocking it, I have a nice cooler but my mainboard doesn't help me from the BIOS.

Any other way to overclock it?

The FX 6300 is only slightly faster than your Q8400. You're better off just overclocking your Q8400 and getting a better graphics card.

Already tried a r9 290 and it's kinda similar in fps terms, with the gt640 I play @50-70 fps, with the r9 @70-103 fps

Find an unbiased forum to ask this question. Not this forum. I have an FX 6300 and I play games just fine after overclocking. I feel it was well worth my money

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

L2 cache isn't good for gaming? I guess the i3 only have 2mb

Yea, I tried overclocking it, I have a nice cooler but my mainboard doesn't help me from the BIOS.

Any other way to overclock it?

Already tried a r9 290 and it's kinda similar in fps terms, with the gt640 I play @50-70 fps, with the r9 @70-103 fps

The problem is IPC, or instructions per cycle. Even if an amd cpu has 1.5x the clockspeed, the intel cpu will do just as well, and extra cores don't really matter for gaming.

Find an unbiased forum to ask this question. Not this forum. I have an FX 6300 and I play games just fine after overclocking. I feel it was well worth my money

There is a difference between being biased and knowing what is a better option.

There is a difference between being biased and knowing what is a better option.

I agree with you completely :)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

It all matters what you pay for something.  Could an AMD FX 6300 be a good value? Yes.  Would I recommend buying it used?  Yes as you are likely to get a much more reasonable price.  In regards to the performance of the cpu it does well in my son's pc and was a breeze to overclock to 4.5 GHz.  Heck I could try for more but don't need it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Not everyone understands that money can be an issue......

there's so much AMD hate on here. i have a 6300 and it play everything just fine. skyrim, cs:go, farcry 3 all run great. if you can get on for around $100 then it's a good price.

Yup, If I were to go to Intel it would be to an I5 4690k because I would save money. An AMD chip is great to get by for a while.

It all matters what you pay for something.  Could an AMD FX 6300 be a good value? Yes.  Would I recommend buying it used?  Yes as you are likely to get a much more reasonable price.  In regards to the performance of the cpu it does well in my son's pc and was a breeze to overclock to 4.5 GHz.  Heck I could try for more but don't need it.

A decent person. Sounds like you prefer Intel and have one yourself but you also consider AMD processors an option. You don't just oversimplify and say "get intel every time" You identify the pros and cons of both options for the specific situation. That is what it means to be unbiased

With Micro Center having the G3258 at $49.99 it makes it a very enticing thing to look at having for a system and heck you can then upgrade later when you find a good price on a newer i5.

With Micro Center having the G3258 at $49.99 it makes it a very enticing thing to look at having for a system and heck you can then upgrade later when you find a good price on a newer i5.

Pentium cannot handle Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4, or any game that uses 4+ cores. It performs better than an fx6300 on dual core games any day but not on multicored

A decent person. Sounds like you prefer Intel and have one yourself but you also consider AMD processors an option. You don't just oversimplify and say "get intel every time" You identify the pros and cons of both options for the specific situation. That is what it means to be unbiased

Honestly I have bought both AMD and Intel over my lifetime.  It all depends on the price/performance value at the time.  I got my i5 2500K at a very nice price under $200 when I got it and there were affordable boards for it that were full of features and so an Intel purchase was easy at that time.  When I put together my son's pc the AMD FX 6300 was the rage for a value cpu and it still delivers nice performance at a reasonable price so no regrets buying that either.  Now with that video I just posted in regards to the G3258 yes the AMD FX 6300 beats the Intel cpu in some games but at this point in time I would recommend the G3258 for a value build.  I definitely would get one for myself at this time if I needed a new cpu.  I would also buy it with the understanding I would be upgrading the cpu when a good buy on newer i5s happened.

Pentium cannot handle Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4, or any game that uses 4+ cores. It performs better than an fx6300 on dual core games any day but not on multicored

There are patches/fixes for many games you will say it can't play.  BF 4 and Far Cry 4 that you mention can both be played with the G3258.

and extra cores don't really matter for gaming.

Well they do because at this price point any Intel chip you get is strictly dual core. This argument only works when you're comparing i5 with FX equivalents.

In fact to match or better the price you're looking at Ivy Bridge dual core (unless you want to go Pentium). The i3 4150 is a little bit more expensive. For this price point I would absolutely get the 6300 over an i3.

There are patches/fixes for many games you will say it can't play.  BF 4 and Far Cry 4 that you mention can both be played with the G3258.

Play yes, but without stuttering? No.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Honestly I have bought both AMD and Intel over my lifetime.  It all depends on the price/performance value at the time.  I got my i5 2500K at a very nice price under $200 when I got it and there were affordable boards for it that were full of features and so an Intel purchase was easy at that time.  When I put together my son's pc the AMD FX 6300 was the rage for a value cpu and it still delivers nice performance at a reasonable price so no regrets buying that either.  Now with that video I just posted in regards to the G3258 yes the AMD FX 6300 beats the Intel cpu in some games but at this point in time I would recommend the G3258 for a value build.  I definitely would get one for myself at this time if I needed a new cpu.  I would also buy it with the understanding I would be upgrading the cpu when a good buy on newer i5s happened.

I agree with the pentium recommendation for people who want a good upgrade path or a computer strictly meant for gaming, dual core multitasking isn't very good, when I had a Pentium it annoyed the hell out of me to tab out of a game and have to wait. The upgrade path and great price are both good for value builds. But if there are no plans to really upgrade then an FX does fine. it happens more often then people think where someone buys a computer to play games with no intention of upgrading it for a very long time. If you have plans to upgrade to an i5 or i7 later then it's great. For the price of a new game you get a decent CPU for gaming

Play yes, but without stuttering? No.

Pretty freaking awesome for a $49.99 cpu paired with not even great video cards.

The upgrade path and great price are both good for value builds.

People say this a lot and I disagree a lot. Why buy a CPU that's close to £100 with the intention of upgrading to a CPU that costs £150 at a later date? There is no sense in it. Never buy for the upgrade path. Save and buy something that will do you for as long as you're actually interested in because the price difference is not big enough for doing this this to make any financial sense.