Portal Themed 900D Gaming PC

JT8101997

Put the aperature logo on the non windowed side panel 

I was actually thinking about putting the instructions on the side. Like the drawings at the beginning of each level that show what you need to do.

Like this

D1u6QKc.jpg

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

if you were using a case with a top mounted power button, if you have access to a 3d printer, you could print out a 1500 Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super Colliding Super Button and use that as the power button for the computer!  A big red power button!  probably wont be a good thing for you if you own any cats or frequently put stuff on top of your case

if you were using a case with a top mounted power button, if you have access to a 3d printer, you could print out a 1500 Aperture Science Heavy Duty Super Colliding Super Button and use that as the power button for the computer!  A big red power button!  probably wont be a good thing for you if you own any cats or frequently put stuff on top of your case

Haha omg. Yeah i have a 3D printer i just might try this xD

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

just random idea(s), if you are doing Water cooling
try use orange and blue tubing/rigid tubing and just white or transparent fluid

Primochill Rigid tubing for example...

56a7de046a.jpg

fbb86675bb.jpg

will match the portal theme, like portals transporting the fluid  :D

also check out ColdZero's backplate for your graphic cards

you can custom design and get him to print your own designs, probably a robot aiming the portal gun at the  graphic block's g1/4 ports
Use tubing instead of EK FC termnials, it will link up to theme of orange/blue tubes(portals) being opened to transport the fluid.

just random idea(s), if you are doing Water cooling

try use orange and blue tubing/rigid tubing and just white or transparent fluid

Primochill Rigid tubing for example...

will match the portal theme, like portals transporting the fluid  :D

also check out ColdZero's backplate for your graphic cards

you can custom design and get him to print your own designs, probably a robot aiming the portal gun at the  graphic block's g1/4 ports

Use tubing instead of EK FC termnials, it will link up to theme of orange/blue tubes(portals) being opened to transport the fluid.

I think that coloring the fluid rather than the tubing to match the color scheme would look better imho. I've never been a fan of colored tubing though.

MWoSLdC.png

Hello again everyone!

So I got some stuff in the mail and I've built the system. Well, at least the first phase of it. So far it has a 5930k, 16gb of DDR4 and a GTX 960. The 960 I bought for another PC in the house, but it's what I'm using until i get my 980's. Everything is just air cooled as of now until i get all the water cooling parts. Well anyways, here you go :)

F0TR5sp.jpg

w9UVJXL.jpg

WTNu3Nt.jpg

QwW7p2X.jpg

Wp64rOV.jpg

ajphGtv.jpg

8LdDiGv.jpg

c3v9RaI.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll have another update for you soon! Thank you all for following :)

• 3 weeks later...

MWoSLdC.png

Small update for you guys. I finally dropped the computer off yesterday at the airbrushing place. Shouldn't be too long. The guy at the counter said i should have it back early next week some time :D And my first 980 came in. Just need to save up a little bit more for the second one and then water cooling coming soon :) Once i get it back things should start moving a little faster. Ordered some lights and other small stuff too.

My idea is that you cut the front panel in round shape and put a fan filter in there and paint the edges with blue/orange and then do the same thing at the top but i'm not really sure how would that look.

Can't wait to see it. Are ya going to be doing anything special w/ the GPU back plates?

Can't wait to see it. Are ya going to be doing anything special w/ the GPU back plates?

Probably. I want to make a basement cover for the case so i might be doing something cool with that too. Idk yet but i'll figure it out :)

MWoSLdC.png

Big update for you guys :)

The airbrushing was actually a lot faster than even they thought it would be, and so i already have it back. Yay! :D

Here's the design i decided to go with.

5ECbQIF.jpg

vjhu8cq.jpg

uYSJ2Ti.jpg

8J3oZwq.jpg

nSocaXe.jpg

ejBR0xC.jpg

BiZ4iBt.jpg

wZlMPyf.jpg

So there you go. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall. Only thing though is the Aperture logo.... Not actually being an Aperture logo? :/ But that ones on me. I apparently forgot to send the picture in the email, so they just looked at my rough sketch with a circle in place of the logo and painted on a circle. No big deal though i actually have some pure black and white Aperture stickers i can put over that and it'll fit right in. If it looks off i could always have it redone but i thought i'd do it this way first so i don't have to pay for it if it looks perfectly fine. Well i hope you enjoyed this update :) I'm excited for more to come!

Nice build! Subbed.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

Sorry to burst your bubble, but isn't it "Aperture", not "AperAture"?

it is. big mistake unfortunately

Will it be fixed?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

The logo kills it :( hope you get it fixed :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but isn't it "Aperture", not "AperAture"?

Will it be fixed?

Yeah i noticed that... I honestly have no idea how that got messed up too :/

But no worries i will be having the bottom half re-done on each side to fix the spelling and the logo. Kinda sucks having to do so but i'd rather it be done properly than having to stare at a mistake everyday for the next few years lol. I'll probably hold off till i have the rest of the build done though, but it really shouldn't take long till then. Thanks for pointing that out everyone i'd rather know now and fix it then realize a year from now or something and feel stupid :P Thank you all for you advice, suggestions, ideas, and of course for following my build as well :) 

• 1 month later...

MWoSLdC.png

Sorry there hasn't been any updates in awhile guys. Just one thing after another lately. First the paint being messed up and then this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/394537-hdd-wipe-any-way-to-fix-this/

Just kinda bummed out about everything to do with my pc lately. On top of that i've also been pretty busy in general with getting my license and getting a new job and all that. Hopefully i'll have something for you guys soon. Again sorry it's been so long :/ I did however get the second 980 and some lights i need to install. I'll try to get some pictures up when i'm done with that. Hope you're all having a great day today :) 

• 3 months later...

MWoSLdC.png

Damn i can't even tell you how many things have gone wrong on this build. For one, the second 980 i had purchased was stolen from me ;-; so that set me back another $500. So yeah with that and EVERYTHING else that has happened, i kinda just gave up on the build and let it sit for the time being. Seriously, how many things can possibly go wrong on this build xD I'm starting a new job and within the next few weeks i will have money coming in again, and thus can continue my build :) Things you can expect fairly soon would be my PSU being painted white, the side panel window finally being replaced (meaning i also have to put case fans in now) and the lights being put in. Hopefully i can get this back up and running ASAP, and once i start getting pay checks again i can replace the 980 and start with some water cooling! (and yes fix the stupid paint  :angry: ) I'm actually getting excited about this again. New ideas are forming. Sorry for such a long wait :/

MWoSLdC.png

Damn i can't even tell you how many things have gone wrong on this build. For one, the second 980 i had purchased was stolen from me ;-; so that set me back another $500. So yeah with that and EVERYTHING else that has happened, i kinda just gave up on the build and let it sit for the time being. Seriously, how many things can possibly go wrong on this build xD I'm starting a new job and within the next few weeks i will have money coming in again, and thus can continue my build :) Things you can expect fairly soon would be my PSU being painted white, the side panel window finally being replaced (meaning i also have to put case fans in now) and the lights being put in. Hopefully i can get this back up and running ASAP, and once i start getting pay checks again i can replace the 980 and start with some water cooling! (and yes fix the stupid paint  :angry: ) I'm actually getting excited about this again. New ideas are forming. Sorry for such a long wait :/

Did you file a report in the 980? How was it stolen?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Did you file a report in the 980? How was it stolen?

No i didn't. It was sitting on my desk when i had someone over and later on i noticed it was missing. Obviously, i checked everywhere but i didn't move it and how in the hell would you loose something like that anyways? So the only possibility left is that they took it. When i confronted them they denied it but it they were pretty noticeably nervous, and have a history of bad decisions. I gave them the chance to tell me, saying i wont be mad but i need to know or else i can't talk to them anymore, yet they still denied it. Needless to say, i'm not in contact with them anymore. Now i am unhappily saving up for a new one.

I kinda know how you feel about losing the 980. I had my jambox stolen from me sometime this month. I thought I locked the door to my dorm and well, it wasnt locked. thankfully, that was the only thing that was taken, but still, damn. that little speaker lasted me a good 3 years. Having expensive things stolen from you is not fun, especially when your room is out of view from the security cameras.

Don't let this setback discourage you from finishing the build tho, you have done awesome work so far, and I'm sure that this will become a fantastic success! Just remember that cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the build.