Portal Themed 900D Gaming PC

JT8101997

personally, I think if you are going for aesthetics, i think the asus x99 deluxe would be a better fit for a portal system, as it is mainly white with light blue lines all around it.  and with some skill, you could paint on orange lines onto the mobo heatsinks and that would look sick

personally, I think if you are going for aesthetics, i think the asus x99 deluxe would be a better fit for a portal system, as it is mainly white with light blue lines all around it. and with some skill, you could paint on orange lines onto the mobo heatsinks and that would look sick

Hmm i actually forgot about that one. I remember seeing that when it first came out and that actually what i was thinking for this originally. That would look nice. Just trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on ddr4 or another 980, cause everything else would be about the same. But I'm thinking more x99 then 3 way sli. Especially cause if i really want to it wouldn't be too hard to add another later on. I'm using 3 monitors btw, but 2 780's can power those just fine so I'll be ok with just 2 980's.

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Hmm i actually forgot about that one. I remember seeing that when it first came out and that actually what i was thinking for this originally. That would look nice. Just trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on ddr4 or another 980, cause everything else would be about the same. But I'm thinking more x99 then 3 way sli. Especially cause if i really want to it wouldn't be too hard to add another later on. I'm using 3 monitors btw, but 2 780's can power those just fine so I'll be ok with just 2 980's.

Its also a very good board.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Maybe focus on the higher speed DDR4 rather than the amount. Also if there was a DDR4 version of this memory, you should totally get it.

http://www.avexir.com/product/raidenspec-ddr3.html

Maybe focus on the higher speed DDR4 rather than the amount. Also if there was a DDR4 version of this memory, you should totally get it.

http://www.avexir.com/product/raidenspec-ddr3.html

Oh damn that looks awesome. If i go that route i will totally get that otherwise I'll look for a ddr4 version. Thanks to everyone for all the help and the awesome ideas so far :) Oh and i just submitted my idea for a price and time quote on laser cutting the logo on the front panel. Should hear back from them soon. And the case arrives tomorrow so i can start planning more in detail.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Looking at the pictures of it, they have one of a kit mounted on an Asus x99 deluxe. So they must be releasing the ddr4 soon :) i can wait lol. I'm gonna get the case work done before i order the parts anyways so hopefully they're out by then! Great suggestion though thanks again.

I was thinking that the corsair platinum ram with lightbar mod would look amazing. They look like those hallway lights in portal 2

I was thinking that the corsair platinum ram with lightbar mod would look amazing. They look like those hallway lights in portal 2

I was looking at those when i first got the idea for this build. Definitely my next choice if i can't get the others. And I never thought thought about it but yeah i see what you mean with that.

So..... Thoughts on dual Titan X's? xD of only i could find an extra 1k to spend on this lol. I still might do it though just to have the god pc.

Seems a bit excessive. A single titan x is crazy enough, but 2 is even more insane! What are ya trying to do? Run Ac Unity at ultra settings? Cause 2 titans won't cut it. Ya need 4 titans for unity to run smoothly at ultra! OK jokes aside, why do you need 2 titans? If it is 3d rendering, that makes sense. If it is gaming, a single one would do ya just fine. If it is for swag, well you decide on that one!

I have another idea. If the liquid is supposed to represent portal energy, get some reservoirs with LEDs in them to represent the energy coming off the condensed portal juice. Alternatively, if it is to represent the gels from portal, maybe put some warning stickers on the reservoir. That would look awesome.

Yeah lol decided to just stick with the 980's :P and yeah i was thinking about lighting the reservoirs. That would look cool. Oh and i called the metal shop near me and it'll be about $75 to have the logo cut out of the front panel so I'm dropping that off tomorrow sometime. Should be back soon. And I'm going to have the case powder coated white as spray paint can be scratched relatively easily (in my experience) and this will just have a nicer finish overall anyways. Not really much to show yet, just tore the case apart. I'll have some pictures up as soon as i have something for you guys :) thanks again for all the ideas!

Just letting you guys know that i'm going to drop the case off either tonight or tomorrow to be powder coated. there was a pretty big dent/scratch on the very top center of the front panel though, which looked awful. i contacted corsair customer service and i was just told that they dont have that individual part to send out, and like im really going to send the entire colosal case back lol. so instead i decided to just take a file and put an even edge across the top. good thing i'm painting it anyways otherwise id be pretty upset about that. no big deal though it looks fine :) i also should have the front plate back soon from the shop. hopefully this week.

IMO, out of all SLI arrangments, in terms of the simple sex appeal, 3 way is the most striking, however try and stay at 2 way as anything above that has bad scaling,as well as less support amongst games. Maybe as an idea, ive always thought this on builds that use cases such as the 900D, having only 2 GPUs makes it seem fairly empty, so there could be ways of making it feel more full, other than 3-way sli

IMO, out of all SLI arrangments, in terms of the simple sex appeal, 3 way is the most striking, however try and stay at 2 way as anything above that has bad scaling,as well as less support amongst games. Maybe as an idea, ive always thought this on builds that use cases such as the 900D, having only 2 GPUs makes it seem fairly empty, so there could be ways of making it feel more full, other than 3-way sli

Thanks for the input :) i guess i'll just have to wait and see what i can do as i start putting it together. it really depends on how much space is left there or not. if there's too much there then maybe i'll put in a companion cube or something like that. i also have a sound card btw. oh and i dropped the case off to be powder coated and they said it would be about two weeks until i get it back. so i guess now i'm moving on to planning/ buying some of the actual components for this build :D

• 2 weeks later...

I will be picking up the front plate to the case tomorrow from the metal shop. i'll post some pictures of that as soon as i get it. The rest of the case should be finished being powder coated within the next week. once i get it back though, i'm planning on taking it to be airbrushed ;) SURPRISE! i'm gonna make (even though it will probably look AWFUL) a drawing showing the layout of what i want done on the case. I think you're all going to like it once you see what i have planned :D

here's my horrible sketch of the case :)

except the case will be white and everything will be painted on in solid black. that is, if i can get a reasonable price on doing this.

o0xOiUk.jpg

I personally thought the base paint coat should look like the wall panels from portal 2. Then all that tacked on. Also, you should modify the power led to be orange to reference those spare computers you find in those hidden backrooms in portal

MWoSLdC.png

Hello! 

I have a few things to bring up. First of all, i got some great looking build log banners thanks to @Rumikarimu.

Second of all, i've updated the original post with my thoughts on what i want to do with this build, and i'm keeping all the pictures of the build updated on a single post below the original, as well as the updated parts list.

And finally, i picked up the front panel from the shop. What do you think of it?

0v17Lji.jpg

RK3Afkq.jpg

Personally, I was looking more for a cut straight from the metal, but i guess the guy misunderstood me. I mean, it looks fine and i still like it, but idk. His idea behind it was that if he did it this way then i wouldn't have to paint it. I was planning on painting it regardless though because for 1 i hate brushed aluminum, and 2 i dont really want the corsair logo on the bottom being this is a themed build. Either way though, i can't really have them do it again unless i buy another panel which is $50 so i guess this will do for now. Still looks cool, just not exactly what i had intended :/

I was under the impression that the front logo would be the aperature portal logo. This also looks decent, would have preferred it if the logo were just cut into the metal itself.

I was under the impression that the front logo would be the aperature portal logo. This also looks decent, would have preferred it if the logo were just cut into the metal itself.

Yeah i know i wanted it in the metal too :/ i think i might get it redone later on. And i did this one cause I'm having the aperture logo painted on the side.

• 3 weeks later...

MWoSLdC.png

Behold! A white 900D!

I8vN5h2.jpg

ieCXtyk.jpg

eCXXhwk.jpg

The case came back from powder coating today and i was really excited to see it, so i put it all back together pretty quickly :P

I hope you guys like the look so far. I'm really happy with the look of it. Oh yeah, and sorry for the crappy quality of the pictures. Kinda the only place i had to do it was in front of my fish tank so...yeah. I'll try to take better photos next time. It's just getting kinda late now and i wanted to post an update before i go to bed. Again, hope you like it so far :)

(Oh and the window is missing because it got scratched -__- but i wanted to replace it anyways cause i didn't like the tint on it.)

looks really nice, can't wait to see how this one turns out :)

I'm considering painting my own 900D, was it much work/expensive?

It wasn't too much work. There's a lot of screws but the case itself is pretty straight forward. I went to a smaller local place so prices may be different depending on where you go, or if you do it yourself obviously, but i paid around $250 to have it done. I think it's deffinitely worth it just my opinion though. But for the fact that it's done really well so that it's very hard to scratch and it looks like it came from the factory that way. I guess it really comes down to personal preference though. And i have spray painted cases before as well, it's ok you just need to use a lot of clear coat in thin layers so it doesn't scratch. I'd still recommend this way though. Spray paint costs like $12 though :P