Tesla increasing range... OTA

Prastupok

tesla.jpg

This was... interesting. Most people don't consider that electric cars use batteries very similar to those in laptops and phones.

It seems Tesla will be helping the range of their model S, through an over the air update, just like your phone. Cars now have firmware.

"The EV maker's Elon Musk is teasing a media event on March 19th where the company will "end range anxiety" for Model S owners through an over-the-air software update."

"This could mark the official rollout of the "torque sleep" update, which lets dual-motor models (the 85D and P85D) save energy when you're not mashing the throttle. However, Musk said that all Model S cars will get the update -- if so, that points to battery optimizations, a power-saving mode or smarter navigation. Whatever provides the boost, you won't have to wait long to get the full scoop."

Source: Engadget, Twitter (Elon Musk)

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Nice. Can't afford it tho

It should be affordable later, when we'll run out of oil and gas.

And we all could had electric cars, but it means no profit to gas companies, that's why tesla can't really spread their wings (just as a nuclear energy)...

I love how Tesla is doing this updates frequently and free with no hassle. Probably many people will just wake up and not that the car just works better!

It should be affordable later, when we'll run out of oil and gas.

And we all could had electric cars, but it means no profit to gas companies, that's why tesla can't really spread their wings (just as a nuclear energy)...

you do realise that the metals needed for batteries are also really bad for the invironment.... H2 cars are the reall future...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

you do realise that the metals needed for batteries are also really bad for the invironment.... H2 cars are the reall future...

I agree with this. Honda is going the right direction with the FCX Clarity: http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I agree with this. Honda is going the right direction with the FCX Clarity: http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

while i still have my doubts about hydrogen cars, electric cars arent the future... the metal business is just as reckless and messy as the oil business...

If im not mistaken quiet a few car makers have H2 cars (in the works)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Toyota the same.

http://www.toyota.com/fuelcell/

They seem to now be releasing the cars to test to some people

Other then that... I can imagine what people will do with the firmware updates heh. That's nice.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

I updated my Tesla drivers, but GeForce Experience crashed again, help fast pls I'm stuck on train tracks!

...ummm, put in neutral and push?

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I updated my Tesla drivers, but GeForce Experience crashed again, help fast pls I'm stuck on train tracks!

Don't even remind me of that possibility...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

So can cars get bricked by bad firmware code?

This will have been tested for stability 100,000 times.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Tesla constantly pushes out updates like this OTA. 

They really dislike you NEEDING to come in for a service appointment. Customers don't like doing that. Why do it for stuff that you can fix while the customer is sleeping or not driving the car? Far better for everyone. 

Imagine when Tesla actually sell a car outside of California...

Seriously though how does this even work world wide? Do they fit each car with 3G and a sim card for data connectivity?

Also didn't I hear about hacked Tesla firmwares doing the rounds a few weeks ago?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

All hail Elon! All hail Elon!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I love your The Leviathan build! :wub:

What is the purpose of this build?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Tesla constantly pushes out updates like this OTA. 

They really dislike you NEEDING to come in for a service appointment. Customers don't like doing that. Why do it for stuff that you can fix while the customer is sleeping or not driving the car? Far better for everyone. 

Indeed, but range increases because of software? That's something else.

I love your The Leviathan build! :wub:

What is the purpose of this build?

Work purposes: Audio engineering, 3D rendering/modelling, and network mgmt.

Work purposes: Audio engineering, 3D rendering/modelling, and network mgmt.

Awesom!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I am absolutely in love with my sr20det and rb25det over here but I will more than likely save up to finance a tesla model when I move back to the states. This is very exciting to me and I could always buy a used cheap car and engine swap/mod that car for my "fun"

And Tesla is working to fix that. At the very least reduce it by a significant amount. That is one reason for building the giga factory as I recall.

Blarg

And Tesla is working to fix that. At the very least reduce it by a significant amount. That is one reason for building the giga factory as I recall.

im not saying tesla doesnt want to fix that, but most companies wont care where the batteries come from, as long as they re cheap

Imagine when Tesla actually sell a car outside of California...

Seriously though how does this even work world wide? Do they fit each car with 3G and a sim card for data connectivity?

Also didn't I hear about hacked Tesla firmwares doing the rounds a few weeks ago?

Tesla's are actually quite popular in a fair amount of european countries such as norway and sweden and i've seen a few in the uk

im not saying tesla doesnt want to fix that, but most companies wont care where the batteries come from, as long as they re cheap

True. And thats why tesla is great.

Blarg