New NAS! Let me know what you think.

DirtyGear

I'm putting together parts for my new NAS!  This RAID1 4TB NAS will run on FreeNAS and will boot off of the 32GB M.2 SSD.  The reason I went with an i5 is because most of the pre-designed NAS systems sold run on atoms.  I was afraid that the ZFS file system would walk all over the atom resulting in unusable or lower speeds.  Not listed here is a 4 port ethernet PCIe card.  Please let me know what you think about my list, did I go too far overboard, not far enough?

Thanks for all of your input,

-DirtyGear

post-197469-0-87564200-1426384647_thumb.

post-197469-0-50952300-1426384654_thumb.

post-197469-0-87564200-1426384647_thumb.

post-197469-0-50952300-1426384654_thumb.

:lol:  Thanks!?!?  I'm just trying to squeeze every bit of speed I can out of this thing.  My current server is so slow.

Also if you're referring to the ram, ZFS requires A LOT of ram to operate to its fullest.

:lol: Thanks!?!? I'm just trying to squeeze every bit of speed I can out of this thing. My current server is so slow.

Also if you're referring to the ram, ZFS requires A LOT of ram to operate to its fullest.

Make sure you're grabbing ecc ram. Pretty sure FreeNAS ZFS requires 1 gb of ecc ram for every 1 tb of storage.

Stupid overkill imo. I have a Pent. D 945, 4GB of ram, a 3TB Red from WD, a 120GB OCZ SSD, and a stock mobo/case/etc. as my backup rig and it works fine.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

This is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much for a nas. just build a little itx build with an i3 or pentium or something and you will be fine

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

Hella overkill for for FreeNAS. Also, why the case? You could easily get a cheaper case for it.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

The reason behind the case is just looks and cooling.  I might consider downgrading to an i3, but again I want to make sure ZFS won't bog it down.  Can somebody link an example of ecc ram?  I don't think I know anything about that.

-Thanks!

The reason behind the case is just looks and cooling.  I might consider downgrading to an i3, but again I want to make sure ZFS won't bog it down.  Can somebody link an example of ecc ram?  I don't think I know anything about that.

-Thanks!

While it's not a strict requirement, it's a very strong recommendation.

http://louwrentius.com/please-use-zfs-with-ecc-memory.html

The sata cables r a bit pricey as the motherboard should come with them.

With that i5 have u considered using ubuntu server or red hat?

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

The sata cables r a bit pricey as the motherboard should come with them.

With that i5 have u considered using ubuntu server or red hat?

The motherboard didn't come with enough angled SATA cables for the 3 HDDs.  The server I currently have is running xubuntu with samba, I am unfortunately suffering from the crutch that is gui.  I don't know how to work a cli, which is why I chose FreeNAS for the new server.

As others have said, this is seriously overkill and a waste of money. You'll hit HDD and network bottlenecks well before you hit CPU bottlenecks. Just using neweggs pricing you could get yourself a four bay QNAP TS-453-PRO, populate it with FOUR 4TB WD Reds AND spend a good $300 or so less than the price you have here. And for that you'd get three times the storage, be able to saturate a full 1Gbps link but also have a quad Gigabit NIC in your NAS for Link Aggregation if you wanted.

Really, you're just burning your own money. It's way, way too much money to be spending on a NAS that is only going to be populated with two drives in RAID 1.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

ive built a few Nas's in my day.

One using Fedora, which due to samba performance was terrible.  write 25mb/s... read 40mb/s

one using W7 which was good using reads 76mb/s writes 50mb/s

it was fun but could get so annoying at the wrong times (need to do a backup?) oh wait samba is being a ****

Now i just use synlogy devices

my current one gets me 200mb/s read 120mb/s writes in RAID 1

i would suggest something like this  would stioll most likely be cheaper in long run. 
(and more eco friendly on your bill)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-012A-00001&cm_re=synology-_-12K-012A-00001-_-Product

oh and my old nas was running i7 940 16gb ram 4 1tb disks... so no slouch

Might as well put a full blown server OS on it. 

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber