Stable build

Soylent

Hey everyone

I'm looking to put together a new PC for my parents. The main thing I am looking for is relability i.e. I don't to have to change anything for the next couple of years. The usage won't be for anything intensive. Mostly emails and office stuff. I was thinking of either making a cheep custom pc or buying a mini-pc such as a NUC from Intel. I was hoping to use it with Windows 7 since they are familar with the UI (which is a big deal once you get older...).

Price for the hardware should be upto 500 USD (I'm Swiss though so I can't really benefit from good deals overseas) it doesnt need to be 500 but I think in this case that should be more than enough. Also I am opting for a single SSD for the OS and then using a small NAS for the backup. 

Here an example for a custom build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ppBkyc

I chose the expensive SSD b/c of the 10y warranty. I was also thinking the overkill CPU should be good enough for many years as well.

I'd appreciate any input and especially keep in mind the longevity and stability of the components.

TY!

PS: I have all the peripherials and software so I am soley looking for hardware.

First thing, the fx is not good for office work. I recommend an i5 at that price point or an i3 if you wish. Both are great cpus for office work. And yeah, the nuc is good idea

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

More RAM maybe? Its not that big of a difference in price between 4 and 8gb. And webbrowsers now days use lots of RAM

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

the FX platform is already outdated, so there's no point in it anymore.

I would go for an i3 and an B85 mobo.

Also the PSU is a bit overkill, a 350-450w would be good, and cheaper.

Guys. normally id recommend intel to, but its for OFFICE.

a pc from 5 years ago would be fine. OP, could go for a even cheaper cpu. you in no way need a i5

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Maybe try upgrading the ram more or try and save more money for better parts :P

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

thanks guys. I like the PC you put together. Good to know that the FX platform is already outdated. I definitely want something that could last a long time. Does anyone know any NUC like PCs in the same price region that I could compare it too?

a pc from 5 years ago would be fine. OP, could go for a even cheaper cpu. you in no way need a i5

@Soylent Fo sho. 

For the tasks you listed, the biggest impact to performance will be HDD/SSD speed.  

I think an i3 with hyperthreading would be fine. I agree with 8 GB RAM. Definitely get an SSD for the OS and office applications. My only other suggestion is consider putting a bit more money into the case and get a micro ATX case which looks clean and is durable. You might be surprised how much a good quality case improves the overall life of a computer, it might even be good for 3 or more different builds.

ty! I will look into some micro ATX cases then. Does anyone have experience with mini-PCs such as the nuc? I would like to compare them a bit before I opt for either one.

Intel has a plainly better desktop experience versus AMD's FX series, even a Pentium would offer a more enjoyable experience. It also helps speed up boot time and general processing. 

---

So here's the idea I'm getting to.

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0534 22.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($21.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
(Please note, with this CPU cooler, don't attach the fan)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($183.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 PWM 37.9 CFM 92mm  Fan  ($17.55 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $500.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-17 13:44 EDT-0400

This is designed to be a silent PC. The two 120mm Noctua's will act as intake, with the 92mm as an exhaust. The CPU cooler, as I mentioned above, will lay right in front of one of the intakes, so that's where it'll get it's cooling from, rather than the actual CPU fan itself. This is a Pentium, so it's not going to be difficult to cool, so the trick is getting it to be quiet. There's only a solid state as the boot drive, you can shrink it if you need to. For a word processor, 500GB is overkill, but it's what I'd prefer.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Intel has a plainly better desktop experience versus AMD's FX series, even a Pentium would offer a more enjoyable experience. It also helps speed up boot time and general processing. 

Elaborate please? last time I checked my I5 was identical to my brother fx6300 running things such as.... well wait, anything but rendering really. 

and I guess it depends on his prices as hes a swede, so the intel chip may be way more expensive, and id take a fx6300 over a pentium by far. the amd line up kills intel in the low end. thats just how it is, theres no reason not to go with a fx6300 unless the pentium is 1/3 of the price