Overclocking is dead, E3 is the King? I don't believe it.

When I was building a gaming PC

Some say: go for E3, i7's performance, only on i5's price!

What's you thought. 

Edit: I found a video of Linus: 

Intel Core i7 vs Xeon 

and always, he talks too fast to understand.

Cha-Ching!

Building a gaming PC? go for E3 

i7's performance, only on i5's price!

What's you thought. 

I use an E3-1230v3 and will continue to buy Xeons if they keep having this good of a value/perf. compared to the Core series.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

It all comes down to what you can afford.

I usually recommend Xeon as it is really good value and I think hyper threading is superior to few more MHz on K i5.

x99. that's a stable 50% overclock with any chip if you've got the cooling, and are willing to pay the cost of extra electricity. As an old school gamer. 50% overclock on anything is insane.

x99. that's a stable 50% overclock with any chip if you've got the cooling, and are willing to pay the cost of extra electricity. As an old school gamer. 50% overclock on anything is insane.

Sandy Bridge Master Race... I had a 5.1Ghz OC on the 3.4Ghz 2600K (on air w/ the CM V8).

Overclocking CPUs has always been an enthusiast thing that for the most part has more drawbacks than benefits. Higher heat and much higher power consumption, need to buy expensive heatsinks or coolers, and a large amount of time to tinker. Not to mention the need to buy CPUs that cost a lot more just to be able to overlcock.

Sure it's nice to show off and all, and if you have the money then by all means do it for that extra little performance. But I don't recommend it for any budget under around $1200 (with the exceptions such as the g3258).

People seem to have finally come to their senses and stop recommending overclocked i5s and $50 cpu coolers for $700 builds. It just makes no damn sense when a stock cooler and i5-4460 would give you nearly the same performance and you could allocate the rest of the money to so many other things to actually improve your experience or performance. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Sandy Bridge Master Race... I had a 5.1Ghz OC on the 3.4Ghz 2600K (on air w/ the CM V8).

Yes, and I look at your sig, and you agree with me. I'm not quoting that 5% of chips that can do such an overclock. I'm quoting the 99% of chips than can do such an overclock.

Yes, and I look at your sig, and you agree with me. I'm not quoting that 5% of chips that can do such an overclock. I'm quoting the 99% of chips than an do such an overclock.

No, yeah, I completely agree. OCing is fairly simple and easy and most chips are capable of decent OC's.

The 1231 is a mighty fine processor. It's essentially an overclocking gimped 4790k for $100 less, it makes no sense to pay for a cooler and a Z97 board for something that has small to tiny improvements.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Budget rigs. My advice is always buy the best motherboard, and cpu you can afford. Everything else is upgradable without serious effort......

Actually this has been the advice of computer professionals for the last two decades.

As long as people like @Jumper118 ,@harrynowl and @ProKoN exist, overclocking will never be dead.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

When I was building a gaming PC

Some say: go for E3, i7's performance, only on i5's price!

What's you thought. 

Overclocking CPUs has always been an enthusiast thing that for the most part has more drawbacks than benefits. Higher heat and much higher power consumption, need to buy expensive heatsinks or coolers, and a large amount of time to tinker. Not to mention the need to buy CPUs that cost a lot more just to be able to overlcock.

Sure it's nice to show off and all, and if you have the money then by all means do it for that extra little performance. But I don't recommend it for any budget under around $1200 (with the exceptions such as the g3258).

People seem to have finally come to their senses and stop recommending overclocked i5s and $50 cpu coolers for $700 builds. It just makes no damn sense when a stock cooler and i5-4460 would give you nearly the same performance and you could allocate the rest of the money to so many other things to actually improve your experience or performance. 

I think I took the most valuable parts of this into one post :D

Anyway, It makes sense if you are going to go overkill, you do it with good cooling and overclock it, for nearly everything else I'd recommend that E3 - UNLESS it doesn't fit within budget, but then again I'd say that then you start with a g3258 OC on stock and save up to an E3.

*note saving up to locked i5's is a decent value too! 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I think I took the most valuable parts of this into one post :D

Anyway, It makes sense if you are going to go overkill, you do it with good cooling and overclock it, for nearly everything else I'd recommend that E3 - UNLESS it doesn't fit within budget, but then again I'd say that then you start with a g3258 OC on stock and save up to an E3.

*note saving up to locked i5's is a decent value too! 

I think you missed the most valuble part...

Budget rigs. My advice is always buy the best motherboard, and cpu you can afford. Everything else is upgradable without serious effort......

Actually this has been the advice of computer professionals for the last two decades.

Seriously. If you've got a good cpu in your budget range pick it. If you've got a decent cpu that you know overclocks without massive cooling, and power. buy that.

I think you missed the most valuble part...

Seriously. If you've got a good cpu in your budget range pick it. If you've got a decent cpu that you know overclocks without massive cooling, and power. buy that.

got ninja'd I need to take less time posting good stuff...then again wouldn't be that great then.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

got ninja'd I need to take less time posting good stuff...then again wouldn't be that great then.

agreed. still a good post, and look on the bright side. the more people that agree with a point of view, the more likely that a person seeking information will see it, and actually recognise it as good information.

^this. 

If the chip is decently priced and performs OC you might as well OC. ...plus it's super fun :)

Yep, though its a pain in the ass with SDRAM as these days your lucky to get 512MB PC133 sticks, let alone PC 150-160 sticks (I'm limited to a 12MHz overclock as a result, but it makes a massive difference). Though now that I've got an unlocked Core 2 Quad and a true overclocking board on the way (already got the Seidon 120V for my failed Xeon overclocking rig), its balls to the walls.

PMSL

Also note, if your like me you stay behind a few generations and buy a CPU and mobo that will overclock to levels that match you can consistently have fun with every rig. My Asus H87M (the 'Pro' version) board has the latest bios update, and in the future will have an unlocked i7 which I will overclock on it (its got an i5 4440 currently with 16GB of vRAM).

PMSL

Thanks guy

In my country, E3 1231V3 and i5 4670K are in the same price.

E3 is good with 4 cores and 8 threads, but playing game relies more on the power of single core, so i5 should be better?

I don't do OC for showing off, but for improving games' resolution or fps. 

Cha-Ching!

while its not worth to get a core i7 for just gaming. it is worth to get a core i5 and over clock the shit out of it and use to for gaming and other heavy duty tasks. this is my use case.

Also note, if your like me you stay behind a few generations and buy a CPU and mobo that will overclock to levels that match you can consistently have fun with every rig. My Asus H87M (the 'Pro' version) board has the latest bios update, and in the future will have an unlocked i7 which I will overclock on it (its got an i5 4440 currently with 16GB of vRAM).

Or if you're like me, and go like father christmas.... (christmas comes but once a year....Poor christmas)

Balls to the wall once or twice a decade. I figured x99 was a decent rig after reviews, and watching the heavyweights of the industries weigh in. pick the stuff that's pretty much indestructible. Futureproofing does not exist, but you can pick a decent level that will serve you for years to come.

People seem to have finally come to their senses and stop recommending overclocked i5s and $50 cpu coolers for $700 builds. It just makes no damn sense when a stock cooler and i5-4460 would give you nearly the same performance and you could allocate the rest of the money to so many other things to actually improve your experience or performance. I

I'm not interesting in showing off, but stock cooler sucks, especially after few years of using. 

Cha-Ching!

while its not worth to get a core i7 for just gaming. it is worth to get a core i5 and over clock the shit out of it and use to for gaming and other heavy duty tasks. this is my use case.

Did you mean, OC the sh*t of i5 is better than 4 cores 8 threads?

Cha-Ching!

Did you mean, OC the sh*t of i5 is better than 4 cores 8 threads?

for the price, yes. 

8 threads does not mean x2 performances. maybe 20% at max, if the program can utilize it.