EVGA 980 price going up? your recommendations?

Raiden_312

Hello everyone, 

I was going to pick up the EVGA 980 sc this week but the price on amazon went up, i am guessing because of the release of the kingpin model ( I thought it would be the other way around >.>.. ) 

now i am thinking about the ASUS mateix 980. it's about $30 less. also it will match my build perfectly (red/black)  but I am trying to find reasons to buy it I won't be doing crazy cooling or overclocking with it or using it's features like defrost mode.. just plug and play really

I have Asus Rog swift moniter 1440/ intel i7 5930k/ Asus rampage v mother board/Ram Corsair dominator 16GB @2800mhz and my case is corsair 750D. cpu cooler h100i GTX ( almost bought the h100i they shipped it to the wrong address and then it was shipped back to them and by that time the 100i GTX was released got really lucky with that one) 

my budget for a GPU is 1400 (for an SLI setup) or just a better 1 card.

what i want from a card is that it runs my games at ultra settings completly smooth . games i play shadow of mordor/ dying light/far cry/ GTA V (when they stop pushing it back >.> ) . The Witcher 3 in May( CAN NOT WAIT) . warcraft from now and then.

so... what is your recommendation for a GPU with the parts I have supports G-sync for the for the budget I have. i won't mind waiting for 2-3 weeks max if something new is coming out. other than that i need to bring this project to an end! 

Thank you for your time and looking forward to hear from everyone (be nice please >.<) 

On pcpartpicker you can look at price developement... doesnt look like it changed atleast for the MSI one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx980gaming4g

Yea the thing is that i don't live in the states and amazon is the only website that ships to my country with nice shipping cost, if i used a forwarding mail box it cost about 200 per card to just for shipping ... which i refuse to pay. 

Get an R9 295x2, don't waste time on 980s... none of them are worth the price for gaming. If you MUST have g-sync get 2 970s. Both solutions heavily outperform a single 980.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Get an R9 295x2, don't waste time on 980s... none of them are worth the price for gaming. If you MUST have g-sync get 2 970s. Both solutions heavily outperform a single 980.

I'm more then satisfied with my 980's

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

mega ultra super amd fanboy or want? Even in the sig. I'm more then satisfied with my 980's

Yea because recommending 2 970s is amd fanboy.  He is merely stating that you can get more performance out of either of his options for around the same price as a 980 thus making the 980 overpriced.  You like your 980s that's great, but more than one is out of OPs price range.  I'd be happy with SLI Titans, but that is completely overpriced for gaming.

Yea because recommending 2 970s is amd fanboy. He is merely stating that you can get more performance out of either of his options for around the same price as a 980 thus making the 980 overpriced. You like your 980s that's great, but more than one is out of OPs price range. I'd be happy with SLI Titans, but that is completely overpriced for gaming.

I guess you didn't read the rest of his post. And his sig. Like saying "overpriced" and if you MUST.

Say, I don't recommend it sbecause of the price but if you want to stick with nvidia choose 970 in sli for better performance and better pricing

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

980's are worth the money and they're good for gaming. 295x2's are good but I prefer Nvidia on this one dude :D

Take it easy.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

mega ultra super amd fanboy or want? Even in the sig. I'm more then satisfied with my 980's

Let's do some math. The r9 295x2 is 70% faster than a 980. It is the same price. We're looking at a pure 70% gain from going for a sensible solution instead of the latest top of the hill single gpu. My signature suggests 2 970s, too. I'm not a fanboy on either side. I just know when a card is a waste of money. I never said it's a bad card or a bad experience. I am only saying the price is way, WAY too high for the performance it offers.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I guess you didn't read the rest of his post. And his sig. Like saying "overpriced" and if you MUST.

His sig says get 2 970s or 2 r9 290s with r9 290s being cheaper over a 980.  That's fact, no fanboy there.  He's offering his opinon on his post about an r9 295x2.  So, just because he offers a suggestion to get an AMD because price per performance is better than a 980 (again it is proven)  to fit in his budget it automatically makes him a super fanboy?  I'm sorry, I just don't see how it is.  As for overpriced that's opinion on ONE of Nvidia's cards.  Again, not fanboy towards AMD if he is only calling out one chip of Nvidia. 

This is a great suggestion OP ^ 

Single GPU > Dual GPU

There's three reasons I can think of why you're posting this:

1) Your house is -10 and you purchased them to keep you warm

2) You're a pyromaniac and like fire

3) You're an AMD fanboy

Most likely the third option but hey.

980's are worth the money and they're good for gaming. 295x2's are good but I prefer Nvidia on this one dude :D

Take it easy.

I like how whenever someone hints at suggesting an amd card all of a sudden he must be a fanboy. Why is the concept of value foreign to some people? If you hadn't been busy making groundless assumptions on me you would have noticed I also suggest and nvidia solution.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I like how whenever someone hints at suggesting an amd card all of a sudden he must be a fanboy. Why is the concept of value foreign to some people? If you hadn't been busy making groundless assumptions on me you would have noticed I also suggest and nvidia solution.

So you're telling me your AMD cards are out performing two 980s right now? 

You're also telling me that your AMD cards have better cooling etc?

AMD's cards are horrible for thermals.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

it also says

DON'T BUY!!!!!!!

I'm baffled you have any thing nvidia. I'm done talking to you.

I'm gonna be like him and turn into a fanboy.

AMD SUCKS. NVIDIA MASTER RACE!

same price? So the 295x is below $600 now? And your sig says not to buy. You are a massive fanboy

wooow guys i go away for 5min and there is a fight on my post >.<

just be clear i have 1400 USD to spend on GPU's i don't mind getting 2 980s but whcih one? as i am liking the asus matrix more. but i do not know if there is a better choice. I have G-sync moniter so that is why i want to go with an nvida card :) 

Sorry to call you a fanboy as you are obviously most offended.

Have a nice day.

just be clear i have 1400 USD to spend on GPU's i don't mind getting 2 980s but whcih one? as i am liking the asus matrix more. but i do not know if there is a better choice. I have G-sync moniter so that is why i want to go with an nvida card :) 

What monitor do you have?

Are you going to be using them for gaming only or are you going to be using it for 3D rendering also?

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Are you going to be using them for gaming only or are you going to be using it for 3D rendering also?

I have the asus rog pg278q mostly gaming

To be more clear and tell you where i am going i am going to make swift p278q my gaming moniter/ get an ips moniter for non gaming activites and hook up a tv as well to stream movies, as i live outside the states and get to netflix though vpn so that is the setup i am going towrds 

I have the asus rog pg278q mostly gaming

1 should be enough. 2 if you want cause the budget. It's only 2560x1440. When I heard the budget I was expecting 4k. Unless you want to go with 3 monitors. I like the HOF version but they look sold out. Unless you get the $1000 versions on ebay

1 should be enough. 2 if you want cause the budget. It's only 2560x1440. When I heard the budget I was expecting 4k. Unless you want to go with 3 monitors. I like the HOF version but they look sold out. Unless you get the $1000 versions on ebay

I was just telling Atomika that i am going with the swift moniter for gaming and get an ips moniter for non faming activites and link my tv as well to stream movies from the pc. 

Hey if you can afford 2 980's, go for it.  You said in your OP that you have 1400 to spend on video cards.  For anybody to recommend a lower setup is stupid for someone who has this type of budget and WANTS to spend this type of money.  Hell, if you want to wait a bit, see what type of performance is offered on the Titan X before you buy 2 980's.

I have a potato!

Sorry to call you a fanboy as you are obviously most offended.

Have a nice day.

I'm telling you the R9 295X2 destroys a single 980. I don't see where I suggested any amd card can beat 2 980s in performance. The R9 295x2 has EXCELLENT cooling, thanks to the liquid cooler. It runs cooler than some 980s. "AMD's cards are terrible for thermals", and yet I'm the fanboy? I'm not the one generalizing on the full range of products of a company. Would you argue an R9 270 is "terrible for thermals"? Offended? Annoyed to see people can be so close minded and ready to defend the company of their choosing instantly throwing names around.

AMD SUCKS. NVIDIA MASTER RACE!

Wow, I'm totally the fanboy here. Right.

And if you had paid any attention at all the op is talking about kingpin and matrix 980s. Those babies are both above 800$. So yeah, the 295x2 is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. But I guess you're too busy defending your favourite company to notice that. Pretty pathetic.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey if you can afford 2 980's, go for it.  You said in your OP that you have 1400 to spend on video cards.  For anybody to recommend a lower setup is stupid for someone who has this type of budget and WANTS to spend this type of money.  Hell, if you want to wait a bit, see what type of performance is offered on the Titan X before you buy 2 980's.

Yea plus on the amount that i spent on the motherboard/cpu/moniter i won't slack and get a lower end card since i already wanted this pc to be a beast from the begging and already spent the money 

Here is my Full setup 

Mother Board: ASUS Rampage V Extrem 

CPU Intel i7 5930k 

ram corsair dominater 16gb @2800mhz

ssd evo 850 1TB

SEAGTE 4tb 

moniter asus rog swift p278q 

case corsair 750d

Yea plus on the amount that i spent on the motherboard/cpu/moniter i won't slack and get a lower end card since i already wanted this pc to be a beast from the begging and already spent the money 

Here is my Full setup 

Mother Board: ASUS Rampage V Extrem 

CPU Intel i7 5930k 

ram corsair dominater 16gb @2800mhz

ssd evo 850 1TB

SEAGTE 4tb 

moniter asus rog swift p278q 

case corsair 750d

That is a really nice powerful setup you have there. Plan to overclock it? 

I have a potato!

I'm telling you the R9 295X2 destroys a single 980. I don't see where I suggested any amd card can beat 2 980s in performance. The R9 295x2 has EXCELLENT cooling, thanks to the liquid cooler. It runs cooler than some 980s. "AMD's cards are terrible for thermals", and yet I'm the fanboy? I'm not the one generalizing on the full range of products of a company. Would you argue an R9 270 is "terrible for thermals"? Offended? Annoyed to see people can be so close minded and ready to defend the company of their choosing instantly throwing names around.

Wow, I'm totally the fanboy here. Right.

And if you had paid any attention at all the op is talking about kingpin and matrix 980s. Those babies are both above 800$. So yeah, the 295x2 is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. But I guess you're too busy defending your favourite company to notice that. Pretty pathetic.

I am not looking into the kingpin as i am not going to use most of its features also the matrix is 639 at the US amazon