EVGA 980 price going up? your recommendations?

Raiden_312

That is a really nice powerful setup you have there. Plan to overclock it? 

of course :) 

My opinion, buy a Kingpin for LN2.  Classified for heavy overclockers. 

I have a potato!

Hey if you can afford 2 980's, go for it.  You said in your OP that you have 1400 to spend on video cards.  For anybody to recommend a lower setup is stupid for someone who has this type of budget and WANTS to spend this type of money.  Hell, if you want to wait a bit, see what type of performance is offered on the Titan X before you buy 2 980's.

Titan X isn't really for gaming, Plus he'll most likely only be able to get a single card.

The Titan has been for rendering in the past so I'm expecting the Titan X to be the same, Even though the card is sexy af...

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

I'm telling you the R9 295X2 destroys a single 980. I don't see where I suggested any amd card can beat 2 980s in performance. The R9 295x2 has EXCELLENT cooling, thanks to the liquid cooler. It runs cooler than some 980s. "AMD's cards are terrible for thermals", and yet I'm the fanboy? I'm not the one generalizing on the full range of products of a company. Would you argue an R9 270 is "terrible for thermals"? Offended? Annoyed to see people can be so close minded and ready to defend the company of their choosing instantly throwing names around.

Wow, I'm totally the fanboy here. Right.

And if you had paid any attention at all the op is talking about kingpin and matrix 980s. Those babies are both above 800$. So yeah, the 295x2 is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. But I guess you're too busy defending your favourite company to notice that. Pretty pathetic.

Nuclear facepalm*

You need to specify. It doesn't matter what he said you just said 980.

And I guess you're to mentally disabled And delusional to understand sarcasm retard.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Titan X isn't really for gaming, Plus he'll most likely only be able to get a single card.

The Titan has been for rendering in the past so I'm expecting the Titan X to be the same, Even though the card is sexy af...

Yeah I know that the Titan X is not made specifically for gaming but if the benchmarks prove that it can keep up with or come close to 2 980's, I would seriously consider it.  Before that happens, I would like to see benchmarks from real world users before I bite the bullet.  That's just speculation.

I have a potato!

Yea plus on the amount that i spent on the motherboard/cpu/moniter i won't slack and get a lower end card since i already wanted this pc to be a beast from the begging and already spent the money 

Here is my Full setup 

Mother Board: ASUS Rampage V Extrem 

CPU Intel i7 5930k 

ram corsair dominater 16gb @2800mhz

ssd evo 850 1TB

SEAGTE 4tb 

moniter asus rog swift p278q 

case corsair 750d

That's close to mine. But I have a 840. And 2400 ram

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Nuclear facepalm*

You need to specify. It doesn't matter what he said you just said 980.

And I guess you're to mentally disabled And delusional to understand sarcasm retard.

You may have missed mine was sarcasm too. But I suppose retards like you need a manual for this kind of thing. And a 295x2 is significantly better value than any 980 on the market right now, even if the price is a little higher (which I'm given to understand is not an issue). And there's always the dual R9 290x route if price is a problem. 980s are bad in terms of value. There's no way around it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1) 980X2, 2) 295X2, 3a) 970X2, 3b) 290X2, 4) 980X1 in terms of performance.

1) 295X2, 2) 290X2, 3) 970X2, 4) 980X1, 5) 980X2 in terms of price per performance.

You could also play the waiting game. The 300 series looks very promising. I personally hate the waiting game.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

You may have missed mine was sarcasm too. But I suppose retards like you need a manual for this kind of thing. And a 295x2 is significantly better value than any 980 on the market right now, even if the price is a little higher (which I'm given to understand is not an issue). And there's always the dual R9 290x route if price is a problem. 980s are bad in terms of value. There's no way around it.

I think based on what he has spent so far on his rig and what he wants to spend on video cards, performance per value was not an issue.  That's what I got from the OP. 

I have a potato!

After you are done building and fine tuning your machine, would love to see you post your benchmark scores:

Here in the LTT Unigine Valley Benchmark scores:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69448-unigine-valley-benchmark-scores-thread-over-250-submissions/

Firestrike Scores on LTT:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212222-ltt-3dmark-thread/

I have a potato!

I think based on what he has spent so far on his rig and what he wants to spend on video cards, performance per value was not an issue.  That's what I got from the OP. 

Maybe so, but he came here for advice. My advice is to not get any amount of 980s. Of course he's 100% free to take it or leave it. The only reason I wrote anything more is that it bothers me that as soon as anyone tries to recommend anything AMD he's tagged as a fanboy by raging nvidia diehards. Which is even more ridiculous since I also suggested an nvidia solution.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Maybe so, but he came here for advice. My advice is to not get any amount of 980s. Of course he's 100% free to take it or leave it. The only reason I wrote anything more is that it bothers me that as soon as anyone tries to recommend anything AMD he's tagged as a fanboy by raging nvidia diehards. Which is even more ridiculous since I also suggested an nvidia solution.

Hi Sauron I completly value your opnion, and thank you for taking the time reading and commenting on my post. I apologize for some of the comments that been made. I wish the internet community were a bit nice but what can you do. 

again thank you and sorry for what happened, :)

Hi Sauron I completly value your opnion, and thank you for taking the time reading and commenting on my post. I apologize for some of the comments that been made. I wish the internet community were a bit nice but what can you do. 

again thank you and sorry for what happened, :)

Oh don't worry, it's absolutely not your fault :) sorry if it looked like I was implying that, I wasn't. Even if you didn't care for my opinion it's completely up to you, no need to apologise for anything. Regardless of what you choose your build looks to be rocking, make sure to post a build log on the forum ;)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As much as I disagree with you about any amount of 980's, you do have a point about everything else in regards to taking or leaving your advice when asking for it, and automatically being labeled a fanboy.  It runs like wildfire on these web boards along with PC Elitism. 

I have a potato!

Yeah I know that the Titan X is not made specifically for gaming but if the benchmarks prove that it can keep up with or come close to 2 980's, I would seriously consider it.  Before that happens, I would like to see benchmarks from real world users before I bite the bullet.  That's just speculation.

It's a consideration but if you're not going to be getting the most from it's purpose surely you'd be better off buying two 980's instead of a single Titan X for like 5% less gaming performance than the 980?

Not sure on actual numbers but yea. My thoughts.

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

The 980 ROG Matrix is a really good card. However, be warned that the ROG logo looks great with a red and black build when the card is under heavy load, but at other times it lights up in orange (medium load) and blue (low load)... or green sometimes according to some power saving stuff I think. I don't know if this can be changed but I'd look into it if you have a windowed case and are OCD about color matching. The EVGA card is more of a blueish white. They're about neck and neck out of the box I'd say, overclocking depends on the silicon lottery.

Let's do some math. The r9 295x2 is 70% faster than a 980. It is the same price. We're looking at a pure 70% gain from going for a sensible solution instead of the latest top of the hill single gpu. My signature suggests 2 970s, too. I'm not a fanboy on either side. I just know when a card is a waste of money. I never said it's a bad card or a bad experience. I am only saying the price is way, WAY too high for the performance it offers.

Except when you encounter games that don't support Crossfire. Or when you have to constantly deal with that damn multi-gpu stutter. Many prefer the single most powerful GPU they can afford. Plus OP has a ROG Swift so it would be a waste to get the 295x2 since he specifically mentioned wanting G-Sync. Normally I don't really mind people suggesting alternatives, but your suggestion failed to really take into account what OP asked for. And like I said, many prefer a single GPU so they would rather have one 980 over a pair of 970's. And some of us still have a sour taste in our mouths after the 3.5 + 0.5 VRAM thing.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Except when you encounter games that don't support Crossfire. Or when you have to constantly deal with that damn multi-gpu stutter. Many prefer the single most powerful GPU they can afford. Plus OP has a ROG Swift so it would be a waste to get the 295x2 since he specifically mentioned wanting G-Sync. Normally I don't really mind people suggesting alternatives, but your suggestion failed to really take into account what OP asked for. And like I said, many prefer a single GPU so they would rather have one 980 over a pair of 970's. And some of us still have a sour taste in our mouths after the 3.5 + 0.5 VRAM thing.

crossifre stutterings are in the past, and games that need crossfire power ALL support it. Except the crp ports which run like crap even on a 980. And the 295x2 doesn't have the vram issue. If you prefer a single gpu you should still go for something cheaper imo.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

crossifre stutterings are in the past, and games that need crossfire power ALL support it. Except the crp ports which run like crap even on a 980. And the 295x2 doesn't have the vram issue. If you prefer a single gpu you should still go for something cheaper imo.

I'm not just talking about CF but SLI as well. They all have noticeable microstutter in some games. I went from a dual GPU setup to a single 980 and I've been itching to buy another, but I know it would drive me crazy. So I've resigned myself to just buy the single fastest card I can.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

I'm not just talking about CF but SLI as well. They all have noticeable microstutter in some games. I went from a dual GPU setup to a single 980 and I've been itching to buy another, but I know it would drive me crazy. So I've resigned myself to just buy the single fastest card I can.

Again, it's not the case any more. Recent cards and drivers have gotten rid of that. What cards did you have?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

LOL of people who want advise a 980 when you can get 2x970 for the same price if it's not less than one 980,

I can smell a little disappointment from them cause they wasted their money haha.

But the most joke is about AMD Graphic Card mouhaha maybe you should do more research before say s***.

Even if he got the money it's not a reason to spend it for waste like u apparently do...

So clearly man buy two 970 to do a 2 SLI way, not overprice, much power than a single 980 and u gonna really enjoy your ROG Swift. :)

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"