How do I convince my dad that unplugging an Ethernet cable won't damage anything.

My dad has seen me unplugging an Ethernet cable while my Pc was turned on, and he thinks this damages the router.

He took my cable and I now have to deal with a Wi-Fi G PCI card.

How do I convince him that it's just like unplugging a USB device?

My dad has seen me unplugging an Ethernet cable while my Pc was turned on, and he thinks this damages the router.

Edit: Or somewhat official links tend to work better.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Find a video on Youtube or something

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Um. Wat.

Take this from someone who has been around computers their entire life, it's like disconnecting from wifi. Or unplugging a USB cable. Doesn't hurt a thing. The only thing that you risk damaging is the Ethernet cable/port if you rip it out without being somewhat careful ^_^

Find a video on Youtube or something

I really hope there isn't a video of someone explaining how to unplug an ethernet cable...

Edit: Not that I'd be surprised, but still.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

have him sit and watch you plug it in and out

idk

tell him to explain his logic, and when he can't  you win, then explain your logic

Why on earth would it damage the router?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I really hope there isn't a video of someone explaining how to unplug an ethernet cable...

tbh thiers a lot of people that don't know how to do it right and ive seen tons of people break the cables, 

idk

tell him to explain his logic, and when he can't  you win, then explain your logic

'welcome

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130710112938AA82APx show him this link or call your ISP and have them say it to him.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Ask him to give you one reason why it would damage anything. If he doesn't instantly concede and tries to say something debunk his theory.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Just do it.

If he isn't allowing you then run past him and quickly do it before he can stop you.

idk

He says there is current (like power A/C) going through the cable and shit... It was more of a "Do what I tell you to do, don't argue. " I'm more or less planning a comeback.

Thanks man, and thanks the the other guys that give me links and sources. That may come in handy in the next round.

He says there is current (like power A/C) going through the cable and shit... It was more of a "Do what I tell you to do, don't argue. " I'm more or less planning a comeback.

Thanks man, and thanks the the other guys that give me links and sources. That may come in handy in the next round.

I changed my earlier answer... but I still say show him this thread... we all will vouch on the fact that it doesn't hurt anything.

Show him this thread yes and show him what I write: HEY DAD OF SAMLC, LISTEN TO YOUR SON YOU OLD FOOL.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll link this to him.

'welcome

LOL, the (works) in the video title is just hilarious...

After reading and comprehending his misunderstanding of basic networking, the solution is clear.  Sam, you have to get a new father.  I know you are probably attached, but honestly this is for the best.  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...