how do you get windows 8.1 for free.

PCNOOB123

It can beegal or illegal, I'm building a PC so I need an OS asap, and is there anyway to do it without a 4gb USB or disk drive?

It can beegal or illegal, I'm building a PC so I need an is asap, and is there anyway to do it without a 4gb USB or disk drive?

You mean it can be legal only... or not on this forum.

There is no legal way to get it for free.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

It can beegal or illegal, I'm building a PC so I need an OS asap, and is there anyway to do it without a 4gb USB or disk drive?

Use windows 10 and there's no way to do it with out a USB Drive or a CD Drive.

Use windows 10 and there's no way to do it with out a USB Drive or a CD Drive.

You can't get Win10 dev without some copy of Windows, I don't believe.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

There is one legal way to get Windows 8.1 for free.

But it isn't fast enough for you.

Step one: make friends with someone who bought an extra copy of Windows 8.1

Step two: Drop hints that your birthday is approaching, and that you would love Windows 8.1

Step three: Survive until your birthday, and Presto! You receive a copy of Windows 8.1

Alternatively, if you have a copy of Windows 7, when Windows 10 launches you can upgrade straight to 10 for free.

EDIT: didn't see the other windows 10 posts, but yes, you would need to upgrade from a valid OS, Windows 7 or later.

Wish I could be of more help.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

Sure you can get it illegally. You 100% need a USB drive or blank DVD disk, assuming you have an optical drive in your computer.

Step two: Drop hints that your birthday is approaching, and that you would love Windows 8.1

Step three: Survive until your birthday, and Presto! You receive a copy of Windows 8.1

Alternatively, if you have a copy of Windows 7, when Windows 10 launches you can upgrade straight to 10 for free.

EDIT: didn't see the other windows 10 posts, but yes, you would need to upgrade from a valid OS, Windows 7 or later.

Or you could go to -some website- and download a cracked iso.

Rekt.

I am not suggesting OP does this, I am just saying it's an option but I do not condone it.

Edited by colonel_mortis

Or you could go to -some website- and download a cracked iso.

Rekt.

You could not? Read the CoC... directing to illegal software is against it.

Plus, pay for your damn software people... you may not like MS, but you shouldn't take hundreds of people's hard work because you think you're entitled... you aren't.

You could not? Read the CoC... directing to illegal software is against it.

Plus, pay for your damn software people... you may not like MS, but you shouldn't take hundreds of people's hard work because you think you're entitled... you aren't.

I edited my post.

"I am not suggesting OP does this, I am just saying it's an option but I do not condone it."

I'm still amazed that M$ is offering free Win 10 upgrades to Win 7 customers.  Thank God Nutella took over that dumb ass Balmer.

OK thanks guys, guess I have to buy a USB drive... I found a legal way, onthehub.com but can I use something like that on a USB?

I thought Microsoft said that you can upgrade to windows 10 for only 1 year, then you have to pay, am I correct?

OP, you should...hmm.....get a job and buy windows.

You can get it for free if you are a student from Microsoft's Dreamspark program. You can also use the Windows 10 technical preview at the moment for free.

I'm still amazed that M$ is offering free Win 10 upgrades to Win 7 customers.  Thank God Nutella took over that dumb ass Balmer.

mmmmm Nutella......

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

@tmlhalo

So the technical preview is free, that's a given, but I believe the discrepancy was over whether you need to already have windows installed to being using the preview, as is my understanding. Admittedly, I haven't looked into it. Also, this Dreamspark program is news to me, and as a student, I'll be looking into it.

@EthanTheFrogMan

I based my statements on what I read over at http://www.overclock3d.net/ a few days ago. More current information may be available: I would advise the OP to check it out if he is considering Windows 10 in his deliberations at all at this point.

OP:

I looked into your link, and while it seems legit to me, my own college did not offer free windows, though other discounted software was available. Just something to keep in mind. Did you check you school yet?

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

ah, I checked Microsoft's website, I wish it was free, but:

"Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!"

from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

damn, I really wanted Windows 10

mmmmm Nutella......

I know his real name, I just call him Nutella out of laziness...LOL!!! and it sounds funny.  :)

Nutella is like crack for me, that is way I avoid buying it because I'll end eating the entire jar in a matter of days.

Linux or Bust.....

/8.1 for free....without stealing it, aint gunna happen.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

ah, I checked Microsoft's website, I wish it was free, but:

"Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!"

from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

damn, I really wanted Windows 10

Its free but only for a grand total of 1 year. It should be enough time to save up for a legitimate copy of the OS and if you really wanted Windows 10, saving up a dollar every day will net you $365 by the time Microsoft starts shaking you down like a Mafia goon.

Sell your soul to bill gates

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Its free but only for a grand total of 1 year. It should be enough time to save up for a legitimate copy of the OS and if you really wanted Windows 10, saving up a dollar every day will net you $365 by the time Microsoft starts shaking you down like a Mafia goon.

No. You miss read. If you get the upgrade within the first year of release of Windows 10, the upgrade is free.

If you pass this 1 year, then you have to pay like normal.

It is not a 1 year trial type of thing. You have it for good.

No. You miss read. If you get the upgrade within the first year of release of Windows 10, the upgrade is free.

If you pass this 1 year, then you have to pay like normal.

It is not a 1 year trial type of thing. You have it for good.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, darn thats a great deal then. Sorry that I totally misinterpreted the news.