Wikimedia sues NSA for mass internet surveillance

gilm0re3

Well, someone was bound to do it.

2013_10_22_12_32_31.jpg

Wikimedia, probably most well known as the organization running Wikipedia, is filing a lawsuit today against the NSA and the Department of Justice.  The reason being that they claim the US Government is directly intercepting vast amounts of private data by tapping into the internet infrastructure, such as using undersea cables. 

"Our aim in filing this suit is to end this mass surveillance program in order to protect the rights of our users around the world." - Wikimedia

One of the main reasons, it seems, that the NSA is able to capture so much of our private citizens' data all goes back to 2008 where under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act Amendments Act the NSA was allowed to monitor the data of "non-US persons." However, through a major loophole, the NSA is able to intercept the data of millions of Americans by "casting a wide net" over them as they search for intelligence from these "non US persons."

Wikimedia claims that through these tactics they violate the freedoms given to them under both the First and Fourth Amendments. These rights include the right to free speech and the right to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure. Not only that, but they claim that this mass surveillance also violates Article III of the US Constitution, which puts in place the authorities that the US courts posses.

Unfortunately, Wikimedia and the eight other companies supporting this lawsuit face a hard time getting this case to be considered in the first place. To have their case considered, the plaintiffs will have to show beyond doubt that they were all affected by the NSA's surveillance.

In turn, the NSA and DOJ can claim that the plaintiffs can't know that their data was being seized since it supposedly should be being kept private and out of their sight.

For Wales and Tretikov, however, there can be no other option: "Privacy is an essential right. It makes freedom of expression possible, and sustains freedom of inquiry and association. It empowers us to read, write, and communicate in confidence, without fear of persecution. Knowledge flourishes where privacy is protected."

Man. This one of those times where you really wish something would happen, but you know it won't. 

Even if Wikimedia doesn't win this case, I really hope it can help shed some light on the shadiness of the government agency that is supposed to be protecting our privacy, not invading it.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8181651/wikipedia-sues-nsa-surveillance

This post has been promoted to an article

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

interesting

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I just want them to post dank memes on the NSA's website ._.

verizon-nsa-meme-2.jpg

hi-guys-its-us-the-nsa_o_2035143.jpg

3us8iv.jpg

This will do though.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

"NSA and DOJ can claim that the plaintiffs can't know that their data was being seized since it supposedly should be being kept private and out of their sight" I see this pretty much as admitting they were doing it but saying haha you can't legally get us. Wish someone would hack them and release the data so it becomes public knowledge and useful in this or similar cases. I know no one will though sadly.

Not only that, but they claim that this mass surveillance also violates Article III of the US Constitution, which puts in place the authorities that the US courts posses.

Did they state why they believe this violated article 3 of the constitution, or did they say what specifically the courts did that was overstepping their given powers?

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Did they state why they believe this violated article 3 of the constitution, or did they say what specifically the courts did that was overstepping their given powers?

I believe it was the latter. The way I understood it was that they basically were "going above and beyond the call of duty" and were doing more than they should be as far as internet surveillance.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

I believe it was the latter. The way I understood it was that they basically were "going above and beyond the call of duty" and were doing more than they should be as far as internet surveillance.

Well yes but that would be the NSA who is doing the surveillance, not the US courts.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Well yes but that would be the NSA who is doing the surveillance, not the US courts.

Correct. Sorry if I was misconstrued.

Correct. Sorry if I was misconstrued.

No problem, I'm just curiouse what t is the courts have allegedly done :D

It would be awesome if somehow Wikimedia contacts Snowden and they release documents giving this case proper footing and exonerating Snowden at the same time.  We need to bury the NSA. :D

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

Even though I know it wont, it would be nice to see the supreme court step in and bitchsmack the NSA and say "STOP THAT".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Eh, we all know it's not going to stop. Even if they get in trouble, they'll just create a new agency and defund the NSA...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Even though I know it wont, it would be nice to see the supreme court step in and bitchsmack the NSA and say "STOP THAT".

This. It'd be nice to have it happen but mostlikely NSA's gonna black mail the courts to release personal info if the court makes em pay. But good luck stomp that bitch organization down!

So they can't ge tenough donations from their users, they're going after the NSA now? I'm cool with that.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I guess i'll be using Wikipedia more.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

SCOTUS only steps in when the constitution is being harmed. 

Clearly they don't think the constitution means shit. 

SCOTUS only steps in when the constitution is being harmed. 

Clearly they don't think the constitution means shit. 

Damn you for reminding me of reality.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The government should fear the people...one day one day...

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Maybe if I show my IT teacher this he'll let me use wikipedia

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

It really surprises me that wikimedia is going for such a large sue case because, if I recall corectly they are funded by donations by users so how would they even pay for such a case

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Wikipedia Foundation partnered with American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as well as Amnesty International USA, Human Rights Watch and PEN American Center.

Whole section on NSA on ACLU website...
https://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/nsa

A word from Amnesty International USA...
http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/amnesty-international-usa-joins-aclu-wikimedia-in-lawsuit-to-stop-mass-surveillance-program

PEN joins as well...
http://www.pen.org/press-release/2015/03/10/pen-joins-aclu-lawsuit-stop-mass-internet-spying-program

Wikipedia Foundation partnered with American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as well as Amnesty International USA, Human Rights Watch and PEN American Center.

Thanks for the extra info :D

YEAH! GO WIKIMEDIA! WOOOOOOOOOOO!

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15