Corsair AIR 540... Opinions

Hey there,

I am starting this topic to see what you guys think of the new Corsiar Carbide AIR 540 case. The case, as usual for Corsair appears to be built of good quality materials and assembled well. After watching a few videos on it I was interested in buying it for a future build and water cool with it. But then I watched the HardwareCanucks review and that sort of changed my mind. Why, you may wonder?

Corsair has been including PSU fan filters on many cases for a long time now, but for some reason, they have failed to include one on this case. I know its not a big deal to some, but on a $150 case from a reputable manufacturer, I expect to get all the bells and whistles that are on their other cases. Also, I am concerned about the clearance in the front. If you have a long graphics card that is watercooled, you may not be able to put a radiator thicker than 30mm in the front. I am not upset about this nor to I intend to come across as a whiner, I just though Corsair would consider these things.

That's my two cents (in case anyone gives a ****), thanks for reading and feel free post a reply saying your opinion on this new case.

HardwareCanucks Review

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

They say that it is optimised for air cooling but it has the same functions and orientation just like every other cases.except for that compartmentalised space which is not even fully utilised and is just a waste of space.a mediocre attempt to sell mediocre designed case to fanbois.

and what's up with only one filter?

They say that it is optimised for air cooling but it has the same functions and orientation just like every other cases.except for that compartmentalised space which is not even fully utilised and is just a waste of space.a mediocre attempt to sell mediocre designed case to fanbois.

and what's up with only one filter?

One filter is pretty sad, and I do agree with you on that one.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

I'm actually not fussed about the filters. With a bit of modding, the space behind the tray can hold 2-3 rads. just cut the radiator template on the side panel, stick on some aftermarket dust filters and voila! Also after watching oc3d's unboxing, he claimed it may fit a alphacool rad. I so need one of these...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I'm using a white carbide 500R and even that has 3 fan filters for 6 120mm fans.all that marketing bs bout air cooling optimization when my 200mm sidepanel fan can do the same thing just fine.they should lower the price and add more fan filters then it'd be slightly worth buying

I'm using a white carbide 500R and even that has 3 fan filters for 6 120mm fans.all that marketing bs bout air cooling optimization when my 200mm sidepanel fan can do the same thing just fine.they should lower the price and add more fan filters then it'd be slightly worth buying

fully agree with you there. they also should do something about the 2 hotswap bays on the bottom. if you have negative pressure in your case...you are practically screwed.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

fully agree with you there. they also should do something about the 2 hotswap bays on the bottom. if you have negative pressure in your case...you are practically screwed.

seal up/replace with fan mounting points for that bottom part and put tonnes of 3.5" hot swap bays on the other side+some active cooling solution.

the air 540 is a haf xb but not ugly...

would lover if fractal made such a cube like case because i like the form factor but nor the amount of plastic and the windows will just get scratched up in 2 sec.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

They didn't put a fan filter on the psu intake because in their test it didn't collect any dust

you can buy a silverstone magnetic filter for 5$ too...

putting fan holes instead of hdds would heave been nice tho.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I completely love this case, though it doesn't have a premium quality like the obsidian series case, and I really wish they actually make an obsidian series version of the case (steel and aluminium like the 800D, unf). 

But anyway, this case is just perfect, all cable management goes into the back, you never have to put much of work onto cable management, you don't have to see the PSU. There is however one very big downside to this case for me, it only has 2 HDD mounts. I really wish Corsair fixes this in the future, make some HDD cage or something, because I am pretty sure you can get a few HDDs into the back of that case. 

Other than that, the case is an 8/10. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I completely love this case, though it doesn't have a premium quality like the obsidian series case, and I really wish they actually make an obsidian series version of the case (steel and aluminium like the 800D, unf). 

But anyway, this case is just perfect, all cable management goes into the back, you never have to put much of work onto cable management, you don't have to see the PSU. There is however one very big downside to this case for me, it only has 2 HDD mounts. I really wish Corsair fixes this in the future, make some HDD cage or something, because I am pretty sure you can get a few HDDs into the back of that case. 

Other than that, the case is an 8/10. 

I do agree about the hard drive issue. Two mounts is still to little for people who run regular HDD. Not everybody is running on all solid state

I don't think they hit the nail on the head with this one, I don't think it has the visual appeal of the 800D for instance. And while you could easily purchase cheap fan magnetic fan filters, you shouldn't have to. For such a price tag things should be included default. Also the case seems to be more optimised for adding large radiators rather than air flow

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Should be an epic case, good for water or air!

Unboxing coming soon. I like it!

As do I. I can't believe the guy in the HC video was complaining about a flimsy side-panel when the entire damn panel is a window, like what do you expect? Double-glazed glass windows? C'mon...

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I got in early on the Air 540 when Corsair did their pre-order a few weeks ago. I love this case! I transferred from a 600T. I haven't had any issues with dust entering from the bottom where the two hot swap trays sit probably because I have positive pressure in the case. As for the vent on the side panel where the PSU sits, i slapped on one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999257

however it doesn't cover the entire vent vertically. 2 rows of holes will be exposed. The width covers it perfectly though.

air filter can buy easily.
bottom HHD cage look ok but I would prefer water block at there.
I would always direct cool my HHD / SSD since they went hot.

This would have been my next case if I didn't already have my 350D. I get that people want fan filters everywhere but I am pretty sure it was a cost saving measure and chances are that it would not collect too much dust given that its laying on the side. I think the price is pretty good at about $130 and a few omissions are to be expected. It's not perfect but its a great version one that I am sure will be improved at some point.

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

I like it, I love my Haf XB, but this would be much better suited! 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

This case is all i want, its basically a 900D but smaller and awesome, cant wait for it to release!

Unboxing coming soon. I like it!

Glad to here it! :)

This would have been my next case if I didn't already have my 350D. I get that people want fan filters everywhere but I am pretty sure it was a cost saving measure and chances are that it would not collect too much dust given that its laying on the side. I think the price is pretty good at about $130 and a few omissions are to be expected. It's not perfect but its a great version one that I am sure will be improved at some point.

I have a 650D and my next build will likely feature CrossfireX again, which is why I had my eye on this case. Gonna add either AP&SP120's or Noctua's. :)

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I'm sorry but the 900D has waaaaaaay more space. The AIR 540 is just a mid tower case with some components at the back.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Even though this is from corsair this case is full of compromises and has been cheaped out on the build quality and is not what you can expect from corsair and the design also is poor as shown in the video and this case is one of them which you need to stay out of and that this case is only for those with a poor taste.

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.