Soo.... this is a GPU selling point now?

Arct1c0n

It's amusing, the Strix, TF V, and G1 coolers are all better than ACX 2.0.

Based on what?

If that is the case, then my 980 ACX 2.0 in SLI running very silent and maintaining 65-70c under load has problems

I have a potato!

http://www.evga.com/articles/00914/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-4GB/

-le snip-

Lol, seriously, now ball bearings are main selling point? No one keeps their gaming GPU's long enough for fans to fail EVGA. Nice way to "casually" poke fun at Gigabyte, Asus and MSI

Way to be subtle about the brands you are comparing to EVGA... I love your products and all, but jeez.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Based on what?

If that is the case, then my 980 ACX 2.0 in SLI running very silent and maintaining 65-70c under load has problems

Im kinda questioning that too. Also there are downsides to both the Strix (being wide) and the G1 (being super long).

Im kinda questioning that too. Also there are downsides to both the Strix (being wide) and the G1 (being super long).

Each brand has their downsides but I prefer to hear it from the horses mouth (actual owners) instead of hear say or biased brand folks.

I have a potato!

Its actually not especially when comparing the same card with different OEM's. A higher efficiency would show a better built card, at least when it comes to power.

They consume the same amount of power, really.

All of them have the same GM204 chip, they have the same efficiency.

The G1 gaming is able to draw more power if you have a nice chip, so you don't get limited by power.

See this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

TDP's

Asus: 163w (196w with 120% PL)

MSI: 200w (220w 110% PL)

Gigabyte: 250w (280w 112% PL)

Thing is that the Asus and MSI 970's hit the Power Limit very easily with any OC.

For example this: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8#.VPqGK_mG9GY

(focus on this image: http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1411976595nitFZ11Eg1_8_2.gif)

At 1.5Ghz core and 8ghz memory the card is using 108.4% of the TDP (200w for the MSI 970)

200w(108.04%)= 216.8w

I have a G1 Gaming 970, sadly I don't have any screenshots, but I have it overclocked to 1500Mhz/8Ghz (like the MSI from the image) with the stock power limit.

The max value I get in GPU-Z in the "Power consumption" is 80 (but let's take 85%)

250w(80%)= 200w

250w(85%)= 212.5w

So it seems that my "anti green", "power hungry" G1 is consuming less than the almighty MSI card. Wow.

I didn't found the same GPU-Z screnshots for the Strix, (here's the link: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/03/asus_gtx_970_strix_directcu_ii_video_card_review/3#.VPqIDfmG9GY)

Anyways they didn't achieved the 8ghz effective clockspeed on the memory.

Let's also consider that the G1 Gaming takes proper care of VRM's, Asus and MSI solutions doesn't cool VRM's and memory chips very well.

The G1 Gaming is well worth the money, you have a lot of headroom for OC and overvolting. Hell, even just for the backplate and the cooler. Is silent and very, very effective.

JayZ approves it: 

Lol, the cooling fans in all of my CPU coolers from the 90's had double ball bearings, EVGA doesn't realize that having bearings in a fan isn't that special, unless they are ceramic.

They consume the same amount of power, really.

All of them have the same GM204 chip, they have the same efficiency.

The G1 gaming is able to draw more power if you have a nice chip, so you don't get limited by power.

See this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

TDP's

Asus: 163w (196w with 120% PL)

MSI: 200w (220w 110% PL)

Gigabyte: 250w (280w 112% PL)

Thing is that the Asus and MSI 970's hit the Power Limit very easily with any OC.

For example this: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/8#.VPqGK_mG9GY

(focus on this image: http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1411976595nitFZ11Eg1_8_2.gif)

At 1.5Ghz core and 8ghz memory the card is using 108.4% of the TDP (200w for the MSI 970)

200w(108.04%)= 216.8w

I have a G1 Gaming 970, sadly I don't have any screenshots, but I have it overclocked to 1500Mhz/8Ghz (like the MSI from the image) with the stock power limit.

The max value I get in GPU-Z in the "Power consumption" is 80 (but let's take 85%)

250w(80%)= 200w

250w(85%)= 212.5w

So it seems that my "anti green", "power hungry" G1 is consuming less than the almighty MSI card. Wow.

I didn't found the same GPU-Z screnshots for the Strix, (here's the link: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/03/asus_gtx_970_strix_directcu_ii_video_card_review/3#.VPqIDfmG9GY)

Anyways they didn't achieved the 8ghz effective clockspeed on the memory.

Let's also consider that the G1 Gaming takes proper care of VRM's, Asus and MSI solutions doesn't cool VRM's and memory chips very well.

The G1 Gaming is well worth the money, you have a lot of headroom for OC and overvolting. Hell, even just for the backplate and the cooler. Is silent and very, very effective.

JayZ approves it: -snip-

Your luck with your G1 Gaming 970, I'm about to go onto my third one (my first replacement was acting worse than my Geforce 256-which has the excuse of having no heatsink)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, the cooling fans in all of my CPU coolers from the 90's had double ball bearings, EVGA doesn't realize that having bearings in a fan isn't that special, unless they are ceramic.

Your luck with your G1 Gaming 970, I'm about to go onto my third one (my first replacement was acting worse than my Geforce 256-which has the excuse of having no heatsink)

What issues you were facing? I got a Revision 1.0 with Samsung memory, a "lucky" one.

One of my issues is that the card undervolts itself when it reaches 70°C, it doesn't matter if I overclock it, overvolt it etc...

Weird...

So far is great, its a lot of power.

Again? When was I wrong before in this thread? Also that looks to be to the reference card, have any comparing it to other after market ones?

Also how can the temp be lower OCd than the stock, makes no sense unless they ramped those fans way up.

Its actually not especially when comparing the same card with different OEM's. A higher efficiency would show a better built card, at least when it comes to power.

Thats so irrelevant. Maybe, just maybe the architechture will affect how deep the future cards will go without passing a hungry/hot threshold but that has no effect whatsoever on your current card. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

What issues you were facing? I got a Revision 1.0 with Samsung memory, a "lucky" one.

One of my issues is that the card undervolts itself when it reaches 70°C, it doesn't matter if I overclock it, overvolt it etc...

Weird...

So far is great, its a lot of power.

The first one degraded after a week at +150MHz, +12mV (no vRAM OC unless benching-and that was always +450MHz)-at the end it was barely stable at -200MHz. This second one is artifacting badly, and sometimes isn't recognised at all by my computer (I've done the checks, the 970 is shot). I'm just glad I've still got my 650Ti 2GB, at least I can game at medium settings with it.

PMSL

The first one degraded after a week at +150MHz, +12mV (no vRAM OC unless benching-and that was always +450MHz)-at the end it was barely stable at -200MHz. This second one is artifacting badly, and sometimes isn't recognised at all by my computer (I've done the checks, the 970 is shot). I'm just glad I've still got my 650Ti 2GB, at least I can game at medium settings with it.

That sucks, hope you get a nice replacement soon.

How can I know if I have this problem?

That sucks, hope you get a nice replacement soon.

How can I know if I have this problem?

You'll know when it happens, I can't give any specific signs, other than what actually happened. I appear to be one of the few who've had an actual issue with them.

PMSL

Based on what?

I never said there's anything wrong with ACX 2.0; the TF, Strix and G1 all stay cooler, all are quieter. EVGA I feel have taken certain liberties with their stupidly loyal customer-base this generation.

Glad to hear you're not having issues with yours though.

Again based on what. Not trying to sound like a broken record let alone an asshole. Links? I would like to see benchmarks based temps and decibels. As far as I seen all over the internet they have only been within a few degrees Celsius of each other. To say that something is better than the other without proof/links/benchmarks is mute.

I have a potato!

I never said there's anything wrong with ACX 2.0; the TF, Strix and G1 all stay cooler, all are quieter. EVGA I feel have taken certain liberties with their stupidly loyal customer-base this generation.

Glad to hear you're not having issues with yours though.

Thing is with the whole stays cooler thing. Normally you would be like they all stay cooler and post a link for reference rather than someone taking your work for it. Now if I saw new you were one of "The People" on the forum to go to about GPU you might not need that. To my knowledge though that is not the case.

Again based on what. Not trying to sound like a broken record let alone an asshole. Links? I would like to see benchmarks based temps and decibels. As far as I seen all over the internet they have only been within a few degrees Celsius of each other. To say that something is better than the other without proof/links/benchmarks is mute.

This is exactly what I was just trying to say but it ended up below you.

Thing is with the whole stays cooler thing. Normally you would be like they all stay cooler and post a link for reference rather than someone taking your work for it. Now if I saw new you were one of "The People" on the forum to go to about GPU you might not need that. To my knowledge though that is not the case.

I'm not quite sure I follow your line of argument. I'm not trying to be unreasonable and I'm not talking down the EVGA card, but from what I gather you want links. I'll be happy to oblige, in a moment.

But let me add this: I've had a 970, I had the G1 edition, it was silent at idle, silent under load and stayed in the very low 60s while gaming. If I were to get another 970 I'd buy that one again without hesitation.

You're right to say the difference is not night and day, but in an SLI config it could, for instance, make all the difference between throttling and not throttling, or could (with standard fan curve) irritate a particularly noise-sensitive person.

Here's how I see it. The four cards I've mentioned are all roughly the same price, give or take. I think the EVGA is, relatively speaking, a poor choice:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/11- temperature of ACX 2.0 is higher than MSI/Asus, 

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67958-evga-geforce-gtx-970-ftw-acx-2-0-review-4.html- Both EVGA cards tested here were louder than the Gigabyte/MSI card, and additionally, part of the PCB (I presume where there's a VRM module) reached 91 degrees.

Again, not saying the EVGA card is rubbish, but frankly, it's just not as good as the MSI/Asus/Gigabyte variant, and that's reflected in what people on here recommend to others.

Finally, that's what I am talking about. You have proof to backup your argument.

I have a potato!

This is exactly what I was just trying to say but it ended up below you.

i'm sure anybody reading this went to every site that had reviews the first day they were out.  not to mention in the days afterwards. why post more here? what happened to the 4gig models? like to see if they dip below 10fps like the 2gig cards under certain circumstances......... if you'll find a site that will actually show that................................

Finally, that's what I am talking about. You have proof to backup your argument.

If you want me to know you've replied to me the best way is by "quoting" me. That way I'll get a notification :)

Uhhh.... I found this... And well...

Gigabyte_GTX980_g1gaming_graphs_power.pn

Don't get me wrong, it's not something to go mad about or anything but the other guy does have a point.

Uhhh.... I found this... And well...

Gigabyte_GTX980_g1gaming_graphs_power.pn

Don't get me wrong, it's not something to go mad about or anything but the other guy does have a point.

So that's what furmark killed on my 970, the VRM.

PMSL

If your that anal about power usage, go play Starcraft on a Mac book air.

Evga also did a bullshit thing with the first first launched 900 series on gimped coolers and basically lied about it until the internet had a shit fit.

Needless to say, evga doesn't get my money anymore with business and marketing crap like that, not to mention their model pricing markup is a total fucking joke

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/2h32xb/the_acx_cooler_used_on_the_evga_gtx_970_appears/