Someone is "Hacking" my wifi

babadoctor

Hey guys

I have a major problem... Someone is hacking into my wifi and using utorrent to torrent illegial files. the only way i know this is because my ISP has contacted me and told me to stop. If you know any way to stop this ( I HAVE A PASSWORD FOR MY WIFI!!!) please leave a message below

thanks!

Go into your router settings, find his pc's mac address and ban it.  Change your password, also change your Wireless Network name (SSID) and look to see if you can make your netword invisible (this will make your router not show up when you scan for near by wireless access points. you can manually add your network to devices when you know the network name)

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Looks like you have a skid on your hands.... Enable MAC Filtering, enter only MACs from your devices. Then you practically don't even need a password. Also your issue is that you are using WPA.

Give a Strong Password. like C0m&^#@R Eand give security as wpa2-psk. if still they hack it. theere might be a fake AP. then Simply make a hidden network.

Depending on how he got into the router changing the password will do nothing, aka WPS, if he broke the WPS pin then he can get back in within a few seconds no matter what password length or complexity, if your router has the option change the WPS pin, and then disable WPS, change the password to something non dictionary. and also change the ADMIN password to the router.

If you have changed the wifi password and this seems to have solved it then good for you. if you changed it and he got back in and you do not have the option to change the WPS. Buy a new router, or flash a different firmware on to it because it will not matter what password you put WPS will just be like hey hes got the pin hold on while i connect you.

Limiting mac address to let only yours use the network is pretty effective but if he knows anything he is as he see what your pc mac is and change his to it, however this most likely will cause network problems as now the router sees two "computers" with the same physical address. like trying to send mail to two people but addressing them the same.

Hiding the network is useless it is extremely easy to see the network even if it is hidden, this will only hid it from the OS. A simple scan/wifi finder program/script will see it still. Do not even bother with hiding the network.

Limiting the IP address range can help but if you have one that is "assigned" to say a cell phone that is not on the network when he wishes to use it he can just get on at that point, if you set everything up via static address and don't use some basic network like 192.168.1.x then turn off DHCP so that he would need to figure out what the network address are to be able to get on.

Now doing all of these will certainly help, (mac filtering, ip filtering, ip range limitations, stronger non dictionary password, WPS pin change, WPS disabling) but in the end if he really wants in you can not stop him just make it to time consuming so he tries another WiFi to hack instead of yours.

One other thing you could do if your router permits it is to lower the radio power level, thus reducing the range of the Wi-Fi if it becomes to weak then it makes it take even longer to hack in, and if lowered enough he wont be able to see the network at all. thus eliminating completely his ability to hack in. it would be like trying to get cell service with a local provider in the middle of the ocean. it just doesn't work. This will take some trial and error to get the power level right so that you can still use it but the neighbors house can't.

*I am not an expert by no means nor an intermediate security adviser. The above is just things you can attempt to do based on basic security stuff.*

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

I heard of this thing called "netcut" but it wont work. ): anything for mac that might kick them off? );

just write a script to deauth their SSID every time they try to connect 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

MAC filtering might help with the issue, plenty of guides can be found on how to MAC filter as it varies based on your model of router. Also, PLEASE for the love of all things wireless DO NOT use anything less than WPA2 AES. It is currently the most secure, and last time I checked, it has yet to be officially successfully cracked.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

just right a script to death their SSID every time they try to connect 

No, I've discussed with OP once before that deauthing a user - even on your network - is highly illegal, and if not, a major grey area with the FCC. Look up the Marriott suit that recently happened. It's not worth the time when you can set in place better security measures instead.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Hey guys

I have a major problem... Someone is hacking into my wifi and using utorrent to torrent illegial files. the only way i know this is because my ISP has contacted me and told me to stop. If you know any way to stop this ( I HAVE A PASSWORD FOR MY WIFI!!!) please leave a message below

thanks!

Go to your router settings, and change the setting to stop broadcasting the SSID ( Name of the wifi ) Then change the wifi so he has to guess what the name it is, also change password to WPA2 not WPA, also use MAC Address filtering it blocks out anyone who's MAC Address isn't part of the list forcing them to disconnect.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

No, I've discussed with OP once before that deauthing a user - even on your network - is highly illegal, and if not, a major grey area with the FCC. Look up the Marriott suit that recently happened. It's not worth the time when you can set in place better security measures instead.

um if it's on your network it's not... >.>  Marriott was deauthing people on their own networks...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

um if it's on your network it's not... >.>  Marriott was deauthing people on their own networks...

The FCC states that is illegal regardless. Yes, Marriott was doing it for all the wrong reasons, but it just proves a point. It's just like setting an antenna of a device to use 100mW of power. Yes, you can do it, and you can do it easily. Yes, you probably won't get caught. Is it illegal and highly punishable regardless? Yes. Is it your equipment and you aren't using it maliciously? Yes it is, and no you aren't. Either way, it is still illegal, and I would hate to see someone fined or punished otherwise for something that really shouldn't be illegal.

Please note, I am all for kicking piggybackers off your own network, and I have done it before, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still illegal.

The FCC states that is illegal regardless. Yes, Marriott was doing it for all the wrong reasons, but it just proves a point. It's just like setting an antenna of a device to use 100mW of power. Yes, you can do it, and you can do it easily. Yes, you probably won't get caught. Is it illegal and highly punishable regardless? Yes. Is it your equipment and you aren't using it maliciously? Yes it is, and no you aren't. Either way, it is still illegal, and I would hate to see someone fined or punished otherwise for something that really shouldn't be illegal.

Please note, I am all for kicking piggybackers off your own network, and I have done it before, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still illegal.

so wait... you are telling me that my computer sending out the same signal that my router does when someone tries to connect to my network without using the password is illegal?  Pfff  Link me the rules...  NOTE I'm not increasing my TX power to do this...

so wait... you are telling me that my computer sending out the same signal that my router does when someone tries to connect to my network without using the password is illegal?  Pfff  Link me the rules...  NOTE I'm not increasing my TX power to do this...

I was just using power as an example. Let me find the regulation.

EDIT:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/warning-wi-fi-blocking-prohibited

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/333

This also confirms: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammerenforcement/jamfaq.pdf - #19 at the bottom of page 7. Deauthing is considered jamming signal to one or more devices, therefore it is classified here. School networks are also considered private - just like your home network - and applies to your home net.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/USCODE-2011-title47/USCODE-2011-title47-chap5-subchapIII-partI-sec333- this one requires some downloading and picking through, but again, more proof.