What's The Biggest Repair Your Computer Has Ever Needed?

What the title says What's The Biggest Repair Your Computer Has Ever Needed?

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

well uhh

if something screws up so bad that it needs massive repair

I usually find a way to RMA it lol

so maybe bent fins on air coolers? lolol

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I couldn't fit my HD6950 DirectCU II in a Antec 300 case, I had to hacksaw the HDD bay a bit so it would :D So I guess I didn't exactly repair it... more like the opposite but succeeded!

My ODD died once... I'm lucky nothing big so far :)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

5 years ago my wife spilled a full glass with lemonade on my laptop

and then she folded the screen all the way around so the hinges broke

on purpose

I reached to turn on the laptop and still did some work after that

but the hinges and damaged case were basically screwed...

But it was a DV6000 so it was doomed anyway

Not really a repair, but related I guess. When I first started getting into computers, I put a GTX 550ti in my pc that had a generic "550w" psu, and my pc was dying because of it, so after months of having that setup, I finally bought a GS800 (overkill I know).

my brother jumping on my motherboard box with the board in ti all the caps smashed i saw able to send it back to asus and get a new one.

Mostly on laptops.

1. clean out gunk/dust from heatsink

2. re-apply thermal paste/thermal pads

3. replace mother boards

4. replace keyboards

5. replace speakers

6. re-solder DC jacks

7. recover and restore/replace HDDs

I'm the go to guy for electronics for my family and friends. Not very modest, but there you go :).

This isn't a repair but sheer negligence. A few years ago there was a thunderstorm where I lived. I ignored the lightning and was using my PC. So inevitably lightning struck, destroyed my modem and destroyed my motherboard. Luckily I was able to RMA it since it had no evident burn marks.

i got a second hand broken hd4870x2 but i didnt knew it was broken back then and it was getting to hot so i bought some custom wc stuff for it but the moment it all worked the gpu just said f it im dead 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Biggest repair?  Does cleaning it count? :P

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

In the laptop has had a couple of hard drives fail which were more replacements than repair lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Having to replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card because of pathetic power stations for my area. It's more replacing but troubleshooting everything was a pain.

Mostly on laptops.

1. clean out gunk/dust from heatsink

It can be horrifying when you get like pillows of dust. 

Replaced my old PCs PSU because the capacitors had aged too much and couldn't run the system under medium load. Probably my most expensive repair was a whole laptop motherboard, except it was still under warranty (thank god for Acer's standard 3 year warranty at the time) so it wasn't expensive for me :).

I had a 4870x2 die on me - apparently a memory chip, connected to one of the GPUs, was just going full retard from time to time, but I tried disassembling, cleaning and reapplying thermal paste before discovering this... oh well, it'll never be forgotten. Beautiful card, I'm telling you  :D Other than that, I don't remember doing anything else than cleaning or replacing parts  :unsure:

Replacing a mobo right after installing a new card. mobo ended up being more expensive than my card.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

5 years ago my wife spilled a full glass with lemonade on my laptop

and then she folded the screen all the way around so the hinges broke

on purpose

I reached to turn on the laptop and still did some work after that

but the hinges and damaged case were basically screwed...

But it was a DV6000 so it was doomed anyway

Are you still married?  was it your fault....wait what am I saying of course it was :rolleyes:

Biggest repair job I've had is everything bar the case and monitor, power surge took it all out, three hdds, cpu, mobo, dvd drive, ram, video card and PSU. I was pissed, I loved that pc.  Only thing that saved the monitors was the fact I turn them off to save power when I leave the desk. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Does changing the horrible phenom II Stock heatsink for a noctua one count as a repair ? If I've also changed TIM in old laptop due to overheating

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I had to replace the PSU>CPU 8-pin connector :DD, It lasted about 2 hours, but it works :DD

I dropped a laptop, all the plastic fell off it. I had to replace all that

mine was bringing a whole new system!!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I've had to bake my 8800gt about 5 times so far. Still running like a champ, although the idle temps are slightly high.