Canadians Using Mass Drop Be Warned!

Statik

Hey guys, so recently I have purchased two things off Massdrop, the Corsair Go 64gb mem stick, and a Kershaw knife. It said on the website, the total charges, including shipping and handling would be about $34 and $25 respectively. Little did I know, this was all listed in USD, and I just got two charges to my bank account for $35, and $44. Now that's a good way to put me in a bad mood. 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Hey guys, so recently I have purchased two things off Massdrop, the Corsair Go 64gb mem stick, and a Kershaw knife. It said on the website, the total charges, including shipping and handling would be about $34 and $25 respectively. Little did I know, this was all listed in USD, and I just got two charges to my bank account for $35, and $44. Now that's a good way to put me in a bad mood. 

I dropped a $20 dollar bill walking out of best buy and was 5 cents short on a steam gift card to buy a game i wanted. I feel your pain bruh :(

Yea the exchange rate ATM isn't good..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I got my hopes up for Massdrop, but when I saw the outrageous shipping prices, I just left. This doesn't make me want to come back haha.

was buying a gift card for steam (50 USD) checked my bank 5 mins later to find out it costed 63 dollars :angry:  

Not same store

I got my hopes up for Massdrop, but when I saw the outrageous shipping prices, I just left. This doesn't make me want to come back haha.

Yeah, the shipping was pretty high (ignoring the fact that I recently dropped $22 motherfucking dollars shipping on a $10 mic boom).

Looking into the prices, the voyager go is regularly $54.99 CAD, and down to $44.99 CAD with $8.99 shipping, so I did save a little bit there, and the Kershaw Zing 1730SS I bought is regularly $55.94 on amazon, and down to $39.95 free shipping on amazon. So in reality, I saved money, but it sure as fuck wasn't the $26 and $16 that Massdrop made it feel like.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Pretty much. Save $10 on the retail price, but pay it back in shipping. What a joke.

If i go into EB games and buy a $100 Steam card its $128 AUD, so i go ahead and load the $100 USD onto my account only to see that Steam charges Aussies $75 USD for something that costs $60 for people in the states, i don't mind being screwed by exchanged rates that's nobodies fault but there is zero justification for charging me $75 USD for a $60 USD game. 

Made my first purchase there last week for a couple of items, and I could have backed out from the strong exchange rate, but that's the reality for us in Canada. Beyond the exchange rate, shipping has it's pricetag for sending cross-border.

I'd love to see Massdrop try to tackle these limitations and bring better deals focused for Canadian buyers. 

Always watch out for shipping, this should be a basic rule.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

When I used to buy Xbox point cards I was planning on getting BF4 premium. Went out to the store bought a 4000 ($60) point card only to find out I was short a few hundred points. Glad I came to PC gaming.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

• 2 months later...

I'm about to make my first Massdrop purchase. But I want to know how much custom charges for a mouse shipped to Canada would be. Any ideas?

This website, http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator, claims that there are no customs on electronics, only taxes. Is this legit?

And for the intrigued: I'm joining the Mionix Naos 7000 drop. I can't find it in any Canadian retailer (NCIX, Amazon.ca, Canadacomputers), so Massdrop is my only option. Cool thing is it's 50% off on Massdrop, so with shipping, exchange rate and 13% tax, it'll be less than $80CAD. But I'm worried about any hidden customs related charges.

just wait till OP discovers the joys and wonder of the "Brokerage fees" scam from big shippers. #InformedCanadianShoppers

Why is this calling out Massdrop? It's just exchange rates and it occurs with anything you buy from an American retailer.

"Rawr XD"

I'm about to make my first Massdrop purchase. But I want to know how much custom charges for a mouse shipped to Canada would be. Any ideas?

This website, http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator, claims that there are no customs on electronics, only taxes. Is this legit?

And for the intrigued: I'm joining the Mionix Naos 7000 drop. I can't find it in any Canadian retailer (NCIX, Amazon.ca, Canadacomputers), so Massdrop is my only option. Cool thing is it's 50% off on Massdrop, so with shipping, exchange rate and 13% tax, it'll be less than $80CAD. But I'm worried about any hidden customs related charges.

There's no hidden fees to worry about. Just exchange rate, etc.

Why is this calling out Massdrop? It's just exchange rates and it occurs with anything you buy from an American retailer.

I'm not calling out massdrop, I'm just sharing with other Canadians that they don't change the price to CAD, and the shipping prices are insane. I don't want other people to get something coming up in their banking that's much more than they anticipated. 

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro