Is DDR4 really worth the upgrade?

When I saw the video Linus made about the performance difference DDR3 and DDR4 have. It was not much of a big difference in performance but I'm curious to know how many people would actually make the upgrade. 

"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations" -Steve Jobs

Its not worth it. But as always there are bragging rights :).

"ME HAZ DDR4, WHICHZ ONE MORE THEN YOUR NOOBZ DDR3."

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

DDR4 itself is not worth it, the X99 platform may be, though.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

no its not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I mean, you can't really "upgrade" to DDR4 from DDR3 without some system overhauling.

Currently the price isn't justified, but when the time comes that X99 is a standard platform, and DDR4 costs less than or equal to DDR3, then I would switch.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

To answer your question, yes and no. No right now, but yes in the near-future. At the moment it really isn't being supported by motherboard manufactures, it's only only the x99 platform so far, which only pertains to a very minuscule percentage of most systems.  

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

When I saw the video Linus made about the performance difference DDR3 and DDR4 have. Is not much of a big difference but I'm curious to know how many people would actually make the upgrade.

Not me

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Oh and Welcome to the forums, my dear sir! I hope you enjoy your stay!

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Everyone seems to forget that when ddr3 was introduced 1600 was the fastest available for awhile. DDR4 will be over 4000 effective by the time it's ddr3's age

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

give it a couple more generations. it only has the advantage of power consumption right now, and we're talking about Ram so the difference is negligible until ddr4 is running in low power, low cost consumer devices. once chipsets and memory controllers can keep up, then you can expect performance advantages.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

DDR4 only has slightly higher clock speed than DDR3.

Right now you can get DDR3 up to about 2666MHz for cheaper than the same-clocked DDR4, and the DDR3 kit will have lower latency to boot. But the X99 platform has the best priced Intel 6-core CPUs... an i7-5820K is a great deal at its price and overclocks easily to ~4.4GHz. The 5820K is worth upgrading for, DDR4 on its own is not

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

YOUZ NIOOB ONY GAOT DEEDEEARE3 !!: NOOB LOOK MAU DDEEDEEARE FOR  ,, MAN!!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

#SDRAMmasterrace-the only true PC master race

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well ram speeds arent that different maybe milliseconds faster, but that is not noticeable, but new cpu's are worth it, i bought i7 5930k and i totally destroys my old i7 4770k.

I guess that for a workstation environment it does matter, particularly for applications that use a lot of RAM. For general usage, not at all. Having the bragging rights is also important though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

For me personally i'd rather choose the capacity not the speed of RAM. DDR4 is needed only when some hardware needs them (X99 for example)

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i