Why is Canned Air ok, but Vacuum Cleaner not?

Go to solution Solved by Hulk,

Before I jump into an explanation I found elsewhere, your argument is quite good- is this just an internet thing where we blindly follow eachother?  I'm bound to say yes, and also that perhaps not many people will be willing to try it out since you are risking damage to something that could have very well cost you >400$ over a 5$ can of air. 

Argument(Source: http://bit.ly/1wx4Vw7, http://bit.ly/1LVIfHc (a few more are there, but converting them into bitlys to keep them organized is a bit painful))

A vacuum cleaner generates a large amount of static that if discharged to components will damage it since electronics are extremely sensitive to static electricity. The process by which this damages components is by producing an excess voltage that shorts electronic components (electronics such as the CPU operate with ~1.xxx volts, but the human body can store upto 15,000V)

Another point here is that the damage can take a long time, or can happen immediately, so even if something is exposed to static electricity, the effects may take a few weeks to show up in the form of the part dying out.

According to PCComputerNotes.com, newer integrated computer circuits known as complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) chips are more susceptible to ESD than older chips. Most central processing units and system memory cards are CMOS chips.

My second source states that 

It is not the vacuum cleaner's power source it's the static that builds up on the plastic nozzle. Since vacuuming isn't effective unless you hold the nozzle very close to the electronics you're cleaning, an electrostatic discharge is inevitable. Although there are a large number of people who've done this without damage, the possibility still exists.

If you are blowing out the dust with the vacuum cleaner, you don't have to hold the nozzle close to the motherboard. You still need to be cautious, but it's a much safer technique. 

Hope this helps! (Personally, I would like a better explanation about how the static works in the damaging of the component, since I hate relying on anecdotes and would like a bit more of science behind this argument as to how it actually happens)

So yeah guys, I always hear that you should clean your PC with canned air and never ever use your vacuum cleaner for this, the explanation that most people give is because the dust will collide in air and produce static load ups.

I just wondered why this is only the case when sucked away from the PC, or is this because the dust will move slower when removed via dust cleaner ? I always use my vacuum cleaner and never had problems with it at all ? 
Do you have any information about this ?

Greets

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

What is a "dust cleaner"?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Ah sorry I mean Vacuum my fault

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

What is a "dust cleaner"?

Probably mistranslation from op's mother language. In german, for example, a Vacuum Cleaner is called a ''dust sucker'' (translated litterally) :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I use an Air Compressor to blow dust out of my PC.

But remember if you do that not to spin your fan blades with the air or it can damage them.  Instead hold the blades static and then blow the air on it.

I do it with a hairdryer and then a vacuum cleaner.

People overdramatize.

But canned air is more effective because it has more power.

I use an Air Compressor to blow dust out of my PC.

But remember if you do that not to spin your fan blades with the air or it can damage them.  Instead hold the blades static and then blow the air on it.

Yeah I know, I was just curious why the vacuum should be more of a problem than the air

Isn't it because Vacuum creates static?

Yeah but if you don't touch anything with the vacuum I think then there is no problem.. Even if you did, no problem.

Isn't it because Vacuum creates static?

Thats what they say, but why and how ?

I do it with a hairdryer and then a vacuum cleaner.

People overdramatize.

But canned air is more effective because it has more power.

True, i've been using a vaccum for years... never had anything happen. Inb4...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

True, i've been using a vaccum for years... never had anything happen. Inb4...

So did I, kinda funny how some tell its dangerous without knowing it, but I guess thats the internet

because of magnetic effect/issue/static (or whatever you call it) from the vacuum machine dynamo.

So it travles all through the pipe and is still dangerous ? Wow thats a bummer

From what I know and heard both the vacuum cleaner and compressed air will build up static, but mostly you'll have to have the vacuum cleaner closer to the components as it is not as powerfull as the compressed air. So the chances of a spark jumping from the vacuum cleaner is far greater as there's less distance to travel. 

From what I know and heard both the vacuum cleaner and compressed air will build up static, but mostly you'll have to have the vacuum cleaner closer to the components as it is not as powerfull as the compressed air. So the chances of a spark jumping from the vacuum cleaner is far greater as there's less distance to travel. 

even if the vaccum pipe is made out of plastic ? Just asking so exactly because I clean lots of PCs for friends and don't wanna kill their machines ^^

even if the vaccum pipe is made out of plastic ? Just asking so exactly because I clean lots of PCs for friends and don't wanna kill their machines ^^

yeah the static is caused by the collision of dust particles and the nozzle, but with a plastic nozzle the chances are smaller compared to a metal one. 

you know, it's kinda old school

if you remember something like this

but with your phone

instead real magnet

now, if you apply that to hard drive, I'm sure it's dead now.

but most hardware today are claimed anti static, and also SSD usage is a common thing so I guess people just forget about it.

better prevent than sorry.

You don't have the vacuum right up against the case. Seriously, static doesn't travel nearly as far as you think it does (apart from natural phenomena).

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Oh okey I just found a little thing and it looks like that the static charge comes from colliding within the tube, thats why the Canned air won't have that much because the travel distance is simple shorter. Thanks for all your answers though !

now, if you apply that to hard drive, I'm sure it's dead now.

Probably not.  There is a &*^%-off powerfull magnet inside the HDD case (voice coil: actuator arm), the magnet outside would need to be very powerful indeed to affect any media inside.

"This too shall pass"

Thats what they say, but why and how ?

Because vacuum cleaners have plastic or metal pipes and dust can be very irregular in shape and quite hard causing friction. When you create friction against a plastic or metal surface it creates a static charge, because of the shape of the pipe the static charge builds up inside until it gets discharged, if that happens inside your case it might hit a component and kill it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ah sorry I mean Vacuum my fault

Pretty obvious really when you think about it.

Note to self:-  fully read and understand before posting a reply.

"This too shall pass"

I wouldn't think that a vacuum cleaner would be as effective in removing dust as a compressor or a can.