Directx 12 to combine VRAM?

http://wccftech.com/geforce-radeon-gpus-utilizing-mantle-directx-12-level-api-combine-video-memory/

Hey guys seen around the news that directx 12 will have support to add the vram in sli, i am interested in this since i have two gtx 970 in sli with totals to 3.5GB. But with this and a few months of waiting i can crank that up to 7GB. Also it says it will add the graphics controller of the CPU as well so, my question is will this mean that in upcoming games or current titles will be able to use 7GB vram and will i have a behemoth combination of my i7 4790k+970+970. That sounds really far fetched but i am interested... hope to hear opinions from u guys...

Seriously microsoft this sounds a whole lot of UNICORN dust... but if you can pull it off that would be godlike...

envyalpa

youre not getting 7GB anytime soon

drivers need to be made that support it

games need to be made that support it

hardware needs to be made that supports it

DX12 is just the first step, you will need to wait several years before combined vram is even remotely possible

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Old news. More importantly, a rumor has been spreading that DX 12 allows combining of GPU's between AMD and Nvidia, one would be main and the other one would be secondary, they would combine processing power and more importantly combine technology from one another, such as a Physx and Freesync system all in one running 1 AMD and 1 Nvidia card. :D
But while dx 12 does allow this, the question remains if Nvidia and AMD will allow it. :)

Old news. More importantly, a rumor has been spreading that DX 12 allows combining of GPU's between AMD and Nvidia, one would be main and the other one would be secondary, they would combine processing power and more importantly combine technology from one another, such as a Physx and Freesync system all in one running 1 AMD and 1 Nvidia card. biggrin.png

But while dx 12 does allow this, the question remains if Nvidia and AMD will allow it. smile.png

AMD would like it. They're open to the idea probably. 

NV wouldn't allow it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

hmm... guess that well enough.. too good to be true i guess, still would love to have 7GB rather that 3.5GB... thanks for the replies guys...

hmm... guess that well enough.. too good to be true i guess, still would love to have 7GB rather that 3.5GB... thanks for the replies guys...

You still have 4gb, the utilization "issues" people talk about are REALLY nowhere near as bad as people say it is, 90% of the people complaining about it don't even have 970s.

I have 2 970's and I've used over 3.5gb before, it's nowhere near as bad as people describe it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Old news. More importantly, a rumor has been spreading that DX 12 allows combining of GPU's between AMD and Nvidia, one would be main and the other one would be secondary, they would combine processing power and more importantly combine technology from one another, such as a Physx and Freesync system all in one running 1 AMD and 1 Nvidia card. :D

But while dx 12 does allow this, the question remains if Nvidia and AMD will allow it. :)

I believe this is speculation that was started, based on Mantle having the ability to utilize Compute cores, regardless of where they are located on a system, and use them to render graphics. It's a branch/offshoot of hybrid crossfire technology, and Nvidia would have to support it on a driver level to make it work, I believe.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

youd have 8GB, since the slower 2x 0.5GB are still vram

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I believe this is speculation that was started, based on Mantle having the ability to utilize Compute cores, regardless of where they are located on a system, and use them to render graphics. It's a branch/offshoot of hybrid crossfire technology, and Nvidia would have to support it on a driver level to make it work, I believe.

Possible, the article I read didn't have many details, but that would be very problematic for drivers, I'm guessing you would need both party drivers, how would they combine, I'd expect a ton of bugs and issues, crashing, poor optimization. :/