AMD Carrizo: CPU Performance Plateau Inbound?

patrickjp93

http://wccftech.com/amd-carrizo-apu-isscc-2015-presentation-leaked-5-ipc-gain-x86-steamroller-die-consists-31-billion-transistors/

Videocardz has published the opening benchmark and performance numbers for AMD's Carrizo APUs, and it doesn't look good for team red. AMD was touting up to 20% IPC increases over Kaveri due to HDL design of the CPU components in addition to the HDL GPU components, something most people, including tech enthusiasts, believed. Well, it turns out Carrizo is only producing 5% IPC increases in most games, both in iGPU mode and dGPU mode. Also, to my personal dismay, the iGPU is still GCN 1.1, so there are no dual graphics capabilities beyond what Kaveri allowed. So, where did the extra 0.7 billion transistors go to? Well, H.265 transcoding and HSA compliance for the most part, as well as AVX2, BMI2, MOVBE and RDRAND, leaving only 3 instructions on Haswell which AMD has not implemented.

I'm actually really sorry that AMD didn't deliver on much besides efficiency with this chip, but that said it is extremely efficient! Carrizo L can idle at just 1.5W! This means many great things for this little chip when it comes to tablets, but otherwise Carrizo and Carrizo L are lackluster, and that's being kind. Also, it should be noted clock rates really have not taken a hit, maybe 200 MHz in minimums, though maximums seem to have increased almost 20%. We'll see how it balances out in real world performance if the top clocks are sustainable for long periods or not.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Personally I wonder just how Intel is meant to squeeze 20% more over Haswell from Skylake... Eventually software devs are just going to have to get better at coding and use better compilers. 

How the Hell could AMD be lauding HDL for the CPU and not have it deliver any sort of performance gain? It looks like all the work was done on the cache side.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But you posted WCCFTech as source and then said the data was from Videocardz..

Read the article. Videocardz posted the data, the article was written on the WCCF site.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

But you posted WCCFTech as source and then said the data was from Videocardz..

The WCCF article is better written and provides a good summary.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

*Plays Violin*

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Makes me sad. But I half expected it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Read the article. Videocardz posted the data, the article was written on the Videocardz site.

That's never going to happen if the link says "WCCFTech".

Okay, now you're just being petty.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Okay, now you're just being petty.

^ I would also add irrational, or if he's just pointing that out, it really goes to show how irrational the LTT community is when it comes to news. I don't care who prints it as long as the methodology to get it is sound.

we need to wait for Zen

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

WCCFTech have been mostly free of bullshit for a while.

Are you from the past?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

WCCFTech have been mostly free of bullshit for a while.

Are you from the past?

I believe he's making a run at the LTT community.

Isn't it better to focus on the writers themselves? Believe it or not, WCCF isn't just one writer (as far as I know, most aren't). Find which writers spew the bullshit and ignore them, not the entire website.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Everyone keeps hating of WCCFT since I joined the forum and I have yet to see them give us some grade A bull which is what I expected given the hate. Websites can change and it seems like WCCFT is doing that.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I could almost bet that the Samsung octa core big.little arm processor would be faster.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

I expected nothing.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Not a chance this is a plateau. First off Intel promised 5% IPC gains with Ivy Bridge and they failed to deliver even that.

Excavator, according to the official presentation slides at least, is 29% smaller than steamroller, achieves 20% higher clock speeds at the same voltage (10% of that is actually thanks to the HDL @patrickjp93 ) and a 5% IPC gain on top of that.
That's actually a 26% (1.2 x 1.05) CPU performance gain over Kaveri at the same power.This is nothing short of fantastic. And that's without even including the GPU improvements in the discussion.

I could almost bet that the Samsung octa core big.little arm processor would be faster.

Not even close. That's not even an actual 8 core chip. It has 4 high performance cores and 4 low power state, tiny cores.

Let's not push it... ARM is not going to catch x86 until the turn of the decade, if it ever does. ARM has slammed into a brick wall on frequency, and its branch predictor needs serous work. There are plenty of things ARM is lacking in which will keep AMD's x86 chips safe in the mobile world for a while yet.

Not even close. That's not even an actual 8 core chip. It has 4 high performance cores and 4 low power state, tiny cores.

Why else did I say "big.little"

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Not a chance this is a plateau. First off Intel promised 5% IPC gains with Ivy Bridge and they failed to deliver even that.

Excavator, according to the official presentation slides at least, is 29% smaller than steamroller, achieves 20% higher clock speeds at the same voltage (10% of that is actually thanks to the HDL @patrickjp93 ) and a 5% IPC gain on top of that.

That's actually a 26% (1.2 x 1.05) CPU performance gain over Kaveri at the same power.This is nothing short of fantastic. And that's without even including the GPU improvements in the discussion.

Sorry, it's a bit late for me. I mean it seems both companies are plateauing, even if at different places. It's a bit depressing, though as I've said many times, the problems mainly lie with the software developers.

Also, be aware the overclocking headroom on Carrizo has been cut clean in half. You do pay a price for using HDL, and that is in clock rate ceiling.

Performance plateau?

i3-2130 65w @ 3.4 GHz = 6.96 GFLOPS

Carizzo 15w @ 3.4 GHz = 6.54 GFLOPS

The jump in performance per watt for Carrizo is insane (50%).

Performance plateau?

Carizzo 35w @ 3.4 GHz = 6.54 GFLOPS

i3-2130 -> 32nm

Carizzo -> 28nm

And where did you get your "gflops"?

Performance plateau?

Carizzo 35w @ 3.4 GHz = 6.54 GFLOPS

perf/watt. Also, come on toss in Ivy Bridge if you're gonna do that. Shame on you comparing 28nm HDL against 32nm bulk when we both know 22nm FF is a much better match for density.

Vishera was supposed to add 10-15% IPC, Kaveri was supposed to add 10%,

8Dd4td5.png

None of them succeeded hitting Phenom's IPC yet. Also (103-97)/97 = 6% gain so yes they managed the 5% IPC they promised.