New to Skyrim.

soup

What a time thief .

I was looking for a game that wasn't too 'twitchy' and that I could dip in and out of.  Well yes it isn't too  'twitchy' (only died once with something attacking me from behind and I didn't have the reactions to twirl and kill them). But as for dipping in and out of just doesn't happen played for two hours  ( because (a ) I couldn't save. (B ) Got ensnared with a new world), rather dubious about going back in in-case I spend hours in there again .

Is there anyway I can save progress at ANY stage or do I have to wait for the 'mini-quests' to be finished?  Can just leave it running if answering the phone or some such but I would prefer to be able to say "that's enough for now"

First day of playing (only played Flash games before) so everything seems a bit strange.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I recently got it aswell....Heavenly modded it and my GPU likes it xD

You gotta have a lot of fun with it :o)

The most reliable way of saving is manually, by going to the menu (esc) and clicking save.  If you just wanna quicksave before something like a boss fight hit f5.  

You should get into mods sometime soon, it makes the game allot better imo.  

Lastly, one thing allot of people I find, miss out on first is that you can hit F and favourite items, then hit Q and quickly choose one, you can also assign hotkeys.  

Was thinking a week(up to a month) of playing it vanilla then modding,. Sound like a plan?

"This too shall pass"

Been playing it since 2012. Mods really extend the life of a game and tbh... I haven't finished the main quest yet :B oh and you might wanna try graphics mods. My skyrim looks so good that I don't use fast travel just to look at dat graphics B)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

SPOT THE NOOB!

Fast travel?

I thought you just used the map and killed/stole everything you met.

"This too shall pass"

I need to get a list made up of my recommended "must have" mods.

SKSE, SkyUI, ENBoost, and the unofficial patches come to mind as absolute bare minimum, get even if you didn't intend to mod.

Others are the clothing and armor fixes, SMIM, Skyrim project optimization, and optimized vanilla textures.

Everything I mentioned above improve performance and fix bugs, except for SMIM which improves meshes (including making things like rope and chains actually 3D) and SkyUI which optimizes the UI for keyboard and mouse.

I'll edit in more recommendations when I get home from work.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Day 2

Another hour yesterday afternoon (had to stop as I was swearing at the system:kept getting killed co-ordinating mouse and keyboard is something I am not used to) two hours last night (well this morning [1am~3am]).  Still at the slash-slash-slash form of fighting ( just realized I should maybe change weapons : Do I find one I am comfortable with or does each foe/group of foes  require a different weapon?).  Found a mod of the day channel on YouTube but it has been running for years (there's lots of mods). Seems to be a whole culture around modding. I knew there was many mods but the sheer number still surprised me.  I also steal/take everything,[1] at one point the game 'told me' I was carrying to much to run so had a look in the inventory and dropped lots of things like three copies of a sword [keeping one] two copies of a.. etc

5 hours first day, getting sucked in.

[1] I felt bad at (the father of the chap you follow out of Helgen) 's house, as I could hear him saying "any friend of ??? is a friend of mine" meanwhile I am stealing his plates .  Really strange a computer game actually affecting my emotions.

"This too shall pass"

SPOT THE NOOB!

Fast travel?

I thought you just used the map and killed/stole everything you met.

Haha not everyone wants to take half an hour doing fetch quests :B

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Day 2

Another hour yesterday afternoon (had to stop as I was swearing at the system:kept getting killed co-ordinating mouse and keyboard is something I am not used to) two hours last night (well this morning [1am~3am]).  Still at the slash-slash-slash form of fighting ( just realized I should maybe change weapons : Do I find one I am comfortable with or does each foe/group of foes  require a different weapon?).  Found a mod of the day channel on YouTube but it has been running for years (there's lots of mods). Seems to be a whole culture around modding. I knew there was many mods but the sheer number still surprised me.  I also steal/take everything,[1] at one point the game 'told me' I was carrying to much to run so had a look in the inventory and dropped lots of things like three copies of a sword [keeping one] two copies of a.. etc

5 hours first day, getting sucked in.

[1] I felt bad at (the father of the chap you follow out of Helgen) 's house, as I could hear him saying "any friend of ??? is a friend of mine" meanwhile I am stealing his plates .  Really strange a computer game actually affecting my emotions.

open the console enter player.forceav carryweight 80000

do this and you will be able to take all of the things.

but one warning some NPCs get pissed when they see you steal stuff. and they will either kill you or throw you into ingame prison.

Been a while since i've seen a post about Skyrim, but here is my generic copy paste regarding mods etc.

It's best if you start by looking at the Skyrim GEMS, and once you've exhausted those, try out the Skyrim Nexus.

Another option is to follow channels like Brodual or MMOxReview and see them showcase some mods you may wanna try.

Pro tip: don't touch anything on the Steam Workshop, as it's full of AIDs, and the mods have poor support, or simply put, are complete and utter shite.

Also, SkyUI is a must have. (requires SKSE for full functionality)

The rest is down to personal taste, however you should definitely use the unofficial patches. You can find them here, here, here, here & here. They should not conflict with any mod, i myself have tried countless mods since the game's release and had no conflict caused by these patches.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...