MSI R9 290 VS EVGA 970

lovingGamer

MSI R9 290 VS EVGA 970

Which card is better for 1080p Gaming and over 60 FPS (For recording)

I'm asking this just out of the curiosity i have already purchased MSI r9 280X (OC edition)

But in 2 years i might buy 290 i don't want to buy 370 or 380 cause they will be rebrand!

and R9 390 will be expensive!

970 outperforms the 290 the 970 is equal to 290x in performance

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'd either wait or sell your 280x now if you can't return it and buy what you really wanted.

In 2 years, the 290 will be outdated.

yep 970, and even more with a good OC.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I'd either wait or sell your 280x now if you can't return it and buy what you really wanted.

In 2 years, the 290 will be outdated.

yeah.

Then i should be able to buy 390 buy hey look 7970 is 280x that that card is over 2 years old and it works really well.

970 outperforms the 290... I'm surprised no one brought the memory issue.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Well... Depends on the price... If it's roughly the same, the 970 is way better (even with the VRam issue.... @MrImnotMLG xD)

But I've seen a huge difference in price, so that you could get a 290X for much less than a 970.

Btw.: The 280X is a nice card. I thougt about switching my 280X to a 970, but you would pay a lot for a little more performance...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Honestly, 2 years is too early for you to start worrying now. There are gonna be new cards in 2 years and I seriously doubt you will be buying a 290 or a 970 in 2 years.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

970 :) 

thank god no ranting about Vram on here. Also for 1080P the 970 Will handles everything you throw at it on Ultra settings for quite a while. Remember its a Detuned 980 GPU so lots of power at a great price ! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

guys, yes the 970 out performs the 290 in a general sense but your splitting hairs, plus the 290 is going to have advantages over the 970 and visa a versa, and 290 also will allow you to run games with mantle (which more and more games will have with time), what it comes down too is do you want amd or nvidia, I have 2 machines with both and I can tell you I do most of my stuff on my amd oddly enough.... when I benchmarked my 290x not even overclocked I came in with only a little over a 500 point score lower then people running a titan http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4059180, so yes... the 970 out performs, but in a general sense, this will vary tho program to program, and the 970 will be out dated in 2 years as well lmao, because amd will update and then nvidia... the tag game will outdate both of these cards............. so buy either, the 290 price is quiet compelling, especially with when you upgrade later on it more money left in your pocket is another advantage.

Honestly, 2 years is too early for you to start worrying now. There are gonna be new cards in 2 years and I seriously doubt you will be buying a 290 or a 970 in 2 years.

exactly

970 is a little bit faster despite all the issues with coil whinge, voltage regulation and VRAM controversey. 970 forced AMD to drop prices on Hawai.

However since you already have a 280x neither of these cards are worth upgrading to. As you said yourself hang on to it for a while... by the time you need to upgrade there will much better cards available. Trust me in two years you will not want to buy either of these cards, although you want them now :)

970 is a little bit faster despite all the issues with coil whinge, voltage regulation and VRAM controversey. 970 forced AMD to drop prices on Hawai.

However since you already have a 280x neither of these cards are worth upgrading to. As you said yourself hang on to it for a while... by the time you need to upgrade there will much better cards available. Trust me in two years you will not want to buy either of these cards, although you want them now :)

oh he has a 280x? yeah man just keep ahold of the 280x, if you really wanting more and video power hungry run it crossfire, so long as you keep in mind of the cons when running 2 cards. otherwise just like humberg says just wait for next gen

or if your really wanting to spend money get a r9 295x2 xD, if your really worried about money on the next gen cards you arnt doing yourself a favor by going from 280x to 290 or 970,  if thats the case you might as well go all out and get a 295x2 or getting another 280x

in short... your better off buying next gen when it comes out regardless of price, it will be pricey because thats just how it goes when that stuff first comes out

yeah.

Then i should be able to buy 390 buy hey look 7970 is 280x that that card is over 2 years old and it works really well.

You should upgrade your i3 first before you as you mentioned on another thread. Cards like the 970 are gonna be bottlenecked by your i3 cpu. Upgrading your cpu would do your recording better if you want to record @60fps.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You should upgrade your i3 first before you as you mentioned on another thread. Cards like the 970 are gonna be bottlenecked by your i3 cpu. Upgrading your cpu would do your recording better if you want to record @60fps.

with AMD DVR i will not get performance drop.. Because it uses GPU to record but it would be nice to get i5 for 970 :)

970 is better especially at 1080p and Shadowplay is superior to GameDVR. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

with AMD DVR i will not get performance drop.. Because it uses GPU to record but it would be nice to get i5 for 970 :)

I've used dvr once, the video quality wasn't all that great tbh. Amd still needs to work on it. Fraps slashes your fps by half and takes up so much space. Using amd's dvr wouldn't have as much of a performance loss as fraps :B. Video quality wouldn't be as good as fraps though.

I've used dvr once, the video quality wasn't all that great tbh. Amd still needs to work on it. Fraps slashes your fps by half and takes up so much space. Using amd's dvr wouldn't have as much of a performance loss as fraps :B. Video quality wouldn't be as good as fraps though.

files would be large with Fraps

I will use Dxtory and AMD DVR :)