Help me settle an office dispute... SSD or RAM?

Hey All,

Got a dispute happening in the office at the moment, I am asking our sales guys to quote new PC's with an SSD instead of an extra 4GB of RAM (They come with 4GB pre-installed from HP) and an extra 4GB HP Branded RAM is around the same price as a 256GB SSD here in the UK.

I think we will get a much better performance boost out of the PC's by upgrading the SSD rather than the RAM and have a much happier client in the long run... the sales team here disagree so i was hoping a poll of what you guys think may help settle the dispute.

If you could vote, that would be great :)

Thanks

Edit - PC's will be used for general office work, using all Microsoft Office Applications, Internet Browsing, Sage Accounts (Data located on a server).

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

What will the PCs be used for?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

What kind of work is being done in the office? What specific programs?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

What will the PCs be used for?

Sorry forgot to add that i have edited the post, PC's will be used for general office work, using all Microsoft Office Applications, Internet Browsing, Sage Accounts (Data located on a server).

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

Sorry forgot to add that i have edited the post, PC's will be used for general office work, using all Microsoft Office Applications, Internet Browsing, Sage Accounts (Data located on a server).

Buy 60GB SSDs for the OS and rest of money for 8GB of RAM. If that's not feasible, then just the RAM.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

so it'S 4GB ram and 256gb ssd vs 8GB of ram and a hdd?

if yes i would go with the latter option

For office use, they are both really unnecesary in my opinion. However, if there is to have a choice, my technical perspective says memory is more important, however, from experience, I would go for the SSD.

I know this does not clarify much, but I have been using a lot of business computers and not many have more than 4GB, but the ones with SSDs are so much sweeter... so my vote goes for SSD.

so it'S 4GB ram and 256gb ssd vs 8GB of ram and a hdd?

if yes i would go with the latter option

Yup thats the options :) 

"The greatest single upgrade to a computer is to put an SSD in it."

Mind you there may be many other considerations such as :-

adding RAM costs us $10 but using SSD instead of HDD cost us $15.

Or we want to use as much RAM as possible to get us into a different price bracket.

Or we want to keep our SSD supplier sweet

Or...

So quite possibly what is technicaly 'best' may not be the way to go.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Find a compromise to get a smaller size SSD and 8GB of RAM.

SSD, obviously, especially in an office environment it can save you precious time and help you get more done, 4GB is usually enough for anything basic

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

imo even for office work 4GB is getting too low considering you can fill it up with just a few chrome tabs. for something more lightweight than windows (linux looking at you) it could be enough but looking at the task manager in windows i have filled up 4GB with only 7 tabs of chrome and a few programs like skype,thunderbird steam ... ,none of which are using more than 100MB

imo even for office work 4GB is getting too low considering you can fill it up with just a few chrome tabs. for something more lightweight than windows (linux looking at you) it could be enough but looking at the task manager in windows i have filled up 4GB with only 7 tabs of chrome and a few programs like skype,thunderbird steam ... ,none of which are using more than 100MB

Good point on the Chrome, i guess we will try and go for a smaller ssd and the 4gb RAM.

Thanks for the feedback though everyone, appreciate it :) 

^^THIS you only need a 64GB SSD to install windows 8 and some softwares for example...

Try to find a way to squeeze both a small SSD and 8GB of RAM...cause you will face situations in which 4GB is simply not enough and when that happens you're screwed...especialy if the machines are used in a network of some sort and will have anti-virus and all sort of crap running you'll quickly hit 4GB of RAM usage.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8gb ram at a minimum.

4gb is not enough.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Right this moment, for a desktop RAM is a better bang for the buck, as RAM prices are not trrending down like SSD prices are.

For a laptop I'd say the opposite, if only because the added battery life of not having a spinning platter.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zDKwK8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zDKwK8/by_merchant/

Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (£20.50 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£33.54 @ Aria PC)
Total: £54.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 20:39 GMT+0000

At wholesale prices, you will easily be able to fit a 64GB SSD + 4GB of RAM in that 50 quid per PC budget.  This is your best option, its a no compromise, compromise. Best of both worlds.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zDKwK8

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zDKwK8/by_merchant/

Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (£20.50 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£33.54 @ Aria PC)

Total: £54.04

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 20:39 GMT+0000

At wholesale prices, you will easily be able to fit a 64GB SSD + 4GB of RAM in that 50 quid per PC budget.  This is your best option, its a no compromise, compromise. Best of both worlds.

Remember you will need to remove the price of the HDD so even better than it looks.

"This too shall pass"

Remember you will need to remove the price of the HDD so even better than it looks.

I'm confident that the HDD is not involved in this at all.  HDDs are generally pretty standard, and inexpensive. If I'm wrong, then this needs to be rethought.

Ram, you can't live witout it but you can live without a ssd

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

@Faceman

Selling a working lappy .

do they change to SSD or more RAM

if they go SSD they will no longer need the HDDs so either a huge pile of them or get them without HDDs and so a TOUCH cheaper.

"This too shall pass"

64gb ssd's are incredibly slow. they are barely faster than a good hdd.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

@Faceman

Selling a working lappy .

do they change to SSD or more RAM

if they go SSD they will no longer need the HDDs so either a huge pile of them or get them without HDDs and so a TOUCH cheaper.

I'm not sure if he is buying a laptop or HDD, either way, 60GB is not enough storage.